Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
No, it is not okay regardless of their age, regardless of their leanings.

It was not just "learning about their teachers' political leanings," it was a clear judgement on the one party. Using the word "stupid," no less. So much for no name-calling!

Also, it is against district policy:
District Regulation 4426.2 says: Employees shall not poll their pupils to determine their political beliefs or how their parents are voting on any issue and shall not attempt to indoctrinate pupils with personal political and social philosophy
I wonder, then, why FCPS determined that this incident did not violate the policy. What constitutes "indoctrination" for that purpose? Maybe off-the-cuff remarks are permitted, but expressing one's personal views during a classroom lesson and/or expecting the students to articulate the same views when tested cross the line.

At least we appear not to have, per the "similar threads" showing up on C-D, teachers who take 20% off the papers of students they identify as "LOSERS," as in North Carolina!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM

518 posts, read 925,145 times
Based on what was presented in the article, I don't really see it being too much of a problem. It was an informal discussion and FCPS couldn't find definitive proof of wrong-doing. As long as their is no bias in grading the children, it is all good. I remember discussions like this with teachers and administrators all across the political spectrum through middle and high school. I never felt indoctrinated one way or the other. If anything maybe these comments will motivate the children to look more into politics on their own to see where they lie in the political spectrum, like it did with me.

Remember, we are talking about 11-12 year olds who are generally an opinionated lot and disregard anything adults say unless they feel like starting an argument to prove the are "mature." Everyone, is entitled to their opinion and teachers should be able to give their views as much as anyone else. Also, we do not know the details of what happened and have to have faith in the people who investigated the incident and their findings.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
As long as their is no bias in grading the children, it is all good. Everyone, is entitled to their opinion and teachers should be able to give their views as much as anyone else.
"Blacks are stupid."
"Gays are stupid."
"Jews are stupid."
"Transsexuals are stupid."

...Do you see anything wrong with those 'opinions'?
Should teachers be saying those things too? It's all good, right?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM

518 posts, read 925,145 times
Equating political affiliation bias to racial, gender or religious bias is making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is feeding the beast that has caused our political system to come grinding to a halt. People need to get over themselves and realize that political ideology is not on the same level as race, religion or gender.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Hahahaha, oh whatever, I'm sure a lot worse occurs in other parts of America.
Exactly. This sort of stuff (pro and against either of the national parties) has been going on for years. Geez, I recall political "viewpoints" expressed both against Jimmy Carter and against Gerald Ford when I was in high school.

Hardly a new thing and certainly not limited to Fairfax County/Virginia.

OP, if you are seeking a teaching environment where teachers do not espouse a political opinion, I highly recommend you homeschool. No matter where you live.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
"A Virginia elementary school teacher told her students that “Republicans are stupid”

I would hope you would be even more upset if she were teaching lies. Teachers are paid to teach kids facts. The truth hurts.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
"Blacks are stupid."
"Gays are stupid."
"Jews are stupid."
"Transsexuals are stupid."
And there we have it folks, the Republican Party Platform, laid out for everyone to see.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
And there we have it folks, the Republican Party Platform, laid out for everyone to see.
...as opposed to the Marion Barry platform that "Asians ought to go".

Really. There's plenty of stupidity to be found on both sides of the political aisle.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Personally, I've always thought Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA) asking the Admiral about Guam capsizing because of too many troops was the best example of Democrat intellect.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
I agree with Alltheusernamesaretaken.

Save the political discussions for current events classes where differing political views serve as a teaching point. Teachers need to remember and respect that students and families come from all different political backgrounds (and differing religious/racial/economic/cultural backgrounds too).

Quote:
Alltheusernamesaretaken said

And if you're looking for an "unbiased" news source, you aren't going to find one in what are probably your favorites, MSNBC, CNN, ABCNews.com, and so on, because they and the rest of the MSM (except Fox News, upon which you surely look down your nose) are overwhelmingly left.
Anyone standing on the North Pole can consider every direction to be South.

Last edited by ersatz; 04-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: edit and typo fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia