U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,187,640 times

Advertisements

No excuse. People just glide on over right in front of me in a lane with no turn signal....or are in a lane and slowing down and slowing down and slowing down...oh - now they are getting into the right or left hand turn lane. Hey, thanks for the signal buddy. Or the slow down at the last minute then zip over into the turn lane with no signal almost causing accidents in two lanes. I'm thinking that most of these people aren't worried about others speeding up to not let them in.... I know that routine as well. However, you can at least use the turn signal when you see the opening, use it and go in right away. It's the folks that mosey on down the road holding up their lane with their turn signal on waiting for someone to wave them over to come on in. Find the opening and then go in. We were taught in driver's ed to do just that. They never told us to signal and then look for an opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,702,056 times
Pet Peeve! I'm in the intersection from H*LL every day. It doesn't have seperate lights for those making left and going straight for each side if that make sense. And no seperate lanes for left and straight. It is a guessing game each afternoon...are they going straight, are they turning. And BTW Straight has right of way, gunning it doesn't give you RoW - but that is a different thread..and Right turns have RoW over left turns...something else they don't teach anymore.

While I've venting - and admittedly haven't looked it up, but is there system with VDOT to report lights. The other light right down the road, has seperate light for each side of the road and has less traffic. I've timed it, having two lights, using the same 1.45 minutes as the other light. A little AR I know!

Sorry for hijacking thread!!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM

267 posts, read 442,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Perhaps because if the turn signal is on, the others will speed up and block them from turning. There have been many occasions when I signal to turn and the other drivers sped up to block me from changing lane.

Signal is good when others acknowledge it.
Whenever this topic comes up somebody throws this argument out there. Its complete and utter bunk IMO.

Basically the driver has two options:

1. Change lanes without signalling - compromising the safety of myself and those around me and possibly causing a multi-car pileup resulting in property damage, injuries, and maybe even loss of life.

2. Turn on your signal - the cars may speed up and you have to wait a few more seconds or maybe even a whole minute before you can change lanes.

And people are actually chosing option 1?!? Unfreakinbelievable

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Whenever this topic comes up somebody throws this argument out there. Its complete and utter bunk IMO.

1. Change lanes without signalling - compromising the safety of myself and those around me and possibly causing a multi-car pileup resulting in property damage, injuries, and maybe even loss of life.

2. Turn on your signal - the cars may speed up and you have to wait a few more seconds or maybe even a whole minute before you can change lanes.

It's a testament to the kind of area or world or whatever you want to call it that we live in. I don't care about you. I only care about me. So, why on earth would I care about causing you to be in an accident.

Not everyone is like this by any means....but one sure sees it a lot down here.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,648,197 times
In Maryland, there is no law requiring the use of signals for a lane change.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with the law. In Virginia it is a law but not enforced. I think it is one of those common courtesy things that has gone by the wayside.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM

765 posts, read 1,345,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
In Maryland, there is no law requiring the use of signals for a lane change.
Thanks for this nugget. I had no idea. Seems like Maryland is the only state where it is not legally required.

I use my turn signal ALWAYS. Middle of the night, turning into my driveway on my block of 8 house. And I'll still use it to change lanes when in Maryland.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM

314 posts, read 343,434 times
Quote:

Sorry dude, it ain't bunk. Has it ever occurred to you that because of the flow of traffic, you have to keep moving and eventually miss your turn. And don't even think about passing judgement, I hate driving in this area so bad that I bought a house within walking distance of metro to avoid driving.

If people change lane without signal and cause multi-car pile up, blame yourself for not paying attention! Stop poking at the stupid iphone!

Last edited by finecognac; 04-12-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

267 posts, read 442,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Sorry dude, it ain't bunk. Has it ever occurred to you that because of the flow of traffic, you have to keep moving and eventually miss your turn. And don't even think about passing judgement, I hate driving in this area so bad that I bought a house within walking distance of metro to avoid driving.

If people change lane without signal and cause multi-car pile up, blame yourself for not paying attention! Stop poking at the stupid iphone!
Try planning ahead and not waiting until the last minute to change lanes. Or if you're going to miss the turn then keep driving and turn around further down the road.

Don't endanger others simply to avoid being inconvenienced.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM

23,653 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Quote:
Try planning ahead and not waiting until the last minute to change lanes. Or if you're going to miss the turn then keep driving and turn around further down the road.

Don't endanger others simply to avoid being inconvenienced.
EXCELLENT advice. I have my drive to work down to a science. I know to what point on the freeway I can do 70 in the left lane before I need to change lanes. Then I know what point to be in the second to last lane to avoid slower traffic. Then the point to be in the next to last lane to avoid mergers. Then of course the point I need to bob and weave into the exit lane. I'm always at my job after 9-10 minutes of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia