Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM

957 posts, read 2,021,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Sorry dude, it ain't bunk. Has it ever occurred to you that because of the flow of traffic, you have to keep moving and eventually miss your turn. And don't even think about passing judgement, I hate driving in this area so bad that I bought a house within walking distance of metro to avoid driving.

If people change lane without signal and cause multi-car pile up, blame yourself for not paying attention! Stop poking at the stupid iphone!
Hate driving around here as well, good for you for avoiding it all together, very smart.

That said, I've been using my turn signal to change lanes for over 20 years, and never once missed my turn because of not being able to get over. That's a really bad excuse for not using it, and I suspect for 99.8% of people that don't signal that is not the actual reason but a poor excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Thank you. People, please get with the program, or I won't like you anymore. On a side note, is anyone here old enough to remember being taught 'out the window' hand signals for turning left/right?
Yup, it was certainly in the manual I had to study in Pennsylvania 20 years ago to get my license.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
When I first learned how to drive, my father even told me to use turn signal (in the direction I intend to back out) when reversing out of a parking spot, so people and motorists can tell which way the rear of the vehicle would be going out. It's a great common courtesy, but I have never seen anyone else does this.

Isn't it funny that there are simple laws on the book that make complete sense and would greatly enhance driving safety but not enforced? [bang head against the wall]

Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM

314 posts, read 400,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Try planning ahead and not waiting until the last minute to change lanes. Or if you're going to miss the turn then keep driving and turn around further down the road.
Sure, everything is so easy. May be it's better to say I will change lane without signal to p*ss you off. Cause and effect, perhaps people don't want to signal because of the ahole who speed up when seeing signal.

I am not going to add 20 minutes to my commute to make some stupid drivers happy.

Last edited by finecognac; 04-12-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM

314 posts, read 400,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
That said, I've been using my turn signal to change lanes for over 20 years, and never once missed my turn because of not being able to get over. That's a really bad excuse for not using it, and I suspect for 99.8% of people that don't signal that is not the actual reason but a poor excuse.
I don't need excuse! I do what I need to get where I want to go. If you want me to use the signal, then see it as a signal that I will need to change lane instead of seeing it as a sign to speed up and block people.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Thank you. People, please get with the program, or I won't like you anymore. On a side note, is anyone here old enough to remember being taught 'out the window' hand signals for turning left/right?
I remember being taught hand signals. I also remember when your driver's license noted if you took the test with an automatic transmission as opposed to a manual ( or stick shift as we called it, as in "Can you drive a stick?").

Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
In Maryland, there is no law requiring the use of signals for a lane change.
Really? It's in the driver's manual, and during your road test, if you don't signal then you fail. Where did you hear about this?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Whenever this topic comes up somebody throws this argument out there. Its complete and utter bunk IMO.

Basically the driver has two options:

1. Change lanes without signalling - compromising the safety of myself and those around me and possibly causing a multi-car pileup resulting in property damage, injuries, and maybe even loss of life.

2. Turn on your signal - the cars may speed up and you have to wait a few more seconds or maybe even a whole minute before you can change lanes.

And people are actually chosing option 1?!? Unfreakinbelievable
Do you have statistics showing how often multi-car pileups occur because of not using a signal? Sounds like option 1 is a false option.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I find that when I put my signal on in advance of needing to get over, other drivers usually fall back a bit to let me over. My wife and I first noticed this when we moved here 19 years ago. We think it is worse other places. Same thing with leaving a gap to let me out into traffic from a side street or driveway. Drivers around here are much more accommodating than other places where congestion is less of a norm.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM

163 posts, read 314,740 times
I don't usually use the directionals because just about everyone else ignores them or treats them like the start light at the drag strip..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia