U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,299,098 times

Advertisements

The Va. Driving laws state that if someone signals a lane change, you're supposed to let them in...yield folks! It won't cost you any time...really! Merging properly keeps traffic moving! Not allowing merging is what causes back-ups!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Sorry dude, it ain't bunk. Has it ever occurred to you that because of the flow of traffic, you have to keep moving and eventually miss your turn. And don't even think about passing judgement, I hate driving in this area so bad that I bought a house within walking distance of metro to avoid driving.

If people change lane without signal and cause multi-car pile up, blame yourself for not paying attention! Stop poking at the stupid iphone!
How would you know that the person being cut in front of is on an iphone? You don't drive. So you really don't know first hand anymore the kinds of conditions that are out there; or at least experience them on a regular basis.

I agree with the first portion of your comment but the second one is a typical example of passing the buck. I can drive as rudely as I want, cut in at the absolute last minute without giving any notice, have to make a quick stop because the traffic in front of me is stopped, put the conditions out there for an accident...and walk away if one is caused...because it's not my fault - you were the one not paying attention.

For those using the excuse that people speed up - I understand the frustration, but that's not an excuse not to use your signal. That means that you are just like the person who speeds up....Bottom line is that it is rude, rude, and rude.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Really? It's in the driver's manual, and during your road test, if you don't signal then you fail. Where did you hear about this?
Turn signal is required for turning or passing, but not for merely changing lanes.

A bill was introduced in 2009 to explicitly require a signal for changing lanes.

"That Guy Didn't Even Signal!" (Actually, He Didn't Have To) (WaPo)
Turn Signal Could Be Required in the Future (SoMdNews)

The bill passed in the Maryland House, but died in the Senate. House Bill 67

The Maryland Drivers' Manual (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/resources/dl-002a.pdf - broken link) suggests that you "let other drivers know your intentions by using turn signals, etc." (page 7) in the defensive driving tips, but no mention of signals in the "Lane Driving" section.

Current law: 21–604

ETA: I know, I know, this is the NoVa forum, but it helps to understand why some drivers do the things they do in this multijurisdictional traffic mess.

Last edited by cdmurphy; 04-13-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,531,985 times
I always use my signals. Yeah, sometimes some jerk will speed up and not let you in, but most drivers aren't like that (and if one buy blocks me, usually the person behind him takes pity on me and lets me in). I also always make it a habit to make space for anyone who has a signal on (if conditions allow it).

If it's really bad and I've had my signal on for a while and people aren't letting me in, I look for a nice, high price tag car or SUV and just slowly merge over. They always let my 8-year-old, 100k mile car in, lol. I know, it's probalby evil, but hey, if I need to merge over that badly it's because I need to merge over (and no, I don't wait until last minute unless I am not familiar with the area and made a mistake--like assuming a ramp to the beltway will be on the right when it ends up being on the left).

My most hated time when signals aren't used are at stop signs. If your signal isn't on, I figure you are going straight. I hate it when I pull out only to have a car cut me off because that person really was turning. Sometimes you can watch their front tires and see where they are pointed to get an idea if they might cut you off or not, but sometimes that doesn't work (and I shouldn't have to try and guess what you are going anyway).

EDIT: Oh, and one thing. If a truck has it's turn signal on and wants to merge in front of you (and you are letting him/making room), they sometimes find it helpful to flash your lights at them so they know "it's all good." I do that a lot and get friendly waves back or friendly "thank you" flashing tail lights in return.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,687,166 times
On my way to work this morning, a city bus attempting to change lanes, put it's turn signal on, slowed down and prepared to merge, no less than two cars sped up to pass the bus, one of them almost getting clip by the bus, as he started his lane change, the second car had to swerve into the turn lane. We all ended up at the same light!

I agree about truck drivers they are usually the most polite people on the road, they do this for a living.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:03 PM

13,027 posts, read 19,853,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Turn signal is required for turning or passing, but not for merely changing lanes.

A bill was introduced in 2009 to explicitly require a signal for changing lanes.

"That Guy Didn't Even Signal!" (Actually, He Didn't Have To) (WaPo)
Turn Signal Could Be Required in the Future (SoMdNews)

The bill passed in the Maryland House, but died in the Senate. House Bill 67

The Maryland Drivers' Manual (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/resources/dl-002a.pdf - broken link) suggests that you "let other drivers know your intentions by using turn signals, etc." (page 7) in the defensive driving tips, but no mention of signals in the "Lane Driving" section.

Current law: 21604

ETA: I know, I know, this is the NoVa forum, but it helps to understand why some drivers do the things they do in this multijurisdictional traffic mess.
Thanks for the links. I believe you that it's not clear in the law and that they should fix that, however, there are several other mentions in that driver's manual. What I know is, my daughter went through the process and got her license recently. Several of her friends failed their road tests because they didn't signal lane changes. That's strange if it really isn't the law. But whatever. I just wanted to comment on something mentioned in the thread, not derail it.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 AM

56 posts, read 100,596 times
It is both dangerous and rude to drive on these roads and not use a turn signal.

I drive the hell of 66, 495 and 95 every day and am amazed at the rude and dangerous drivers I am on the road with every day...
Not only do they not use a turn signal but they may there move into your lane with inches to spare.

I do not test or talk on my phone and I do not speed up when someone needs to change lanes. I know my exits and make sure I am in the lane I need to be in plenty of time.

Just because someone might speed up when they see a turn signal does not mean it is OK to just skip using them. Where would we end up if we took that attitude with everything in life

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM

38 posts, read 80,055 times
I think I use my turn signals too much. I used them several times to turn into my driveway and there was no one around me. It's a habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia