U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM

40 posts, read 43,346 times
I just looked at Ashburn. I'm not familiar with it at all but their schools had good scores. Thank you!! I will look further into it.

By the way - we have always lived in a home with our kids. We plan to rent and condos is what we can afford. It'll take a little getting used to it, but I'm sure it'll be ok.

Thank you all !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 14,902,660 times
Ashburn or Sterling are closer to Reston and would work well for you. In Sterling, you want zip code 20165. Look for neighborhoods called Cascades, Lowes Island, Countryside, or Potomac Falls. Reston is also a nice choice but a little more pricey.

Here are photo tours of Ashburn (Brambleton neighborhood) and Lowes Island. They're a pretty good representation of the area in general.

Brambleton (a part of western Ashburn)

Cascades/Lowes Island (a part of the northern section of Sterling)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM

8,479 posts, read 5,880,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pporter16 View Post
I just looked at Ashburn. I'm not familiar with it at all but their schools had good scores. Thank you!! I will look further into it.

By the way - we have always lived in a home with our kids. We plan to rent and condos is what we can afford. It'll take a little getting used to it, but I'm sure it'll be ok.

Thank you all !!

Just to let you know, here in greater DC a condo or rental apartment (or a rental house) is still a home. Good luck with your search!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Thank you for the info!

Brooklynborndad - Thank you for correcting me. I meant to type house.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,282,149 times
Yeah, it seems Loudoun would be a much better fit for you than Warrenton or Haymarket.

Ashburn gives you a straight shot down the Greenway / Toll Road into Reston, but those tolls add up!

Sterling (20165 as mentioned - though you can include 20166 as well) puts you in Potomac Falls and Dominion HS districts, which are decent - and is a very short commute to Reston w/o tolls.

Obviously you can look for something in Oakton or Langley school districts in FCPS and have a fairly short commute to Reston, but you'll get a lot less house for the same price (if any even exist).

Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 14,902,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Sterling (20165 as mentioned - though you can include 20166 as well) puts you in Potomac Falls and Dominion HS districts, which are decent - and is a very short commute to Reston w/o tolls.
Yup, 7 miles to the center of Reston (also called RTC or Reston Town Center). You just drive straight down Algonkian Parkway.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM

We finally got some answers about his possible job and his schedule would be 6am to 2pm or 2pm to 10pm.

I'm not sure if we're ready for the "city" life. ;-) I'm still contemplating Warrenton or Haymartket.

Thank you all for your imputs!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 PM

657 posts, read 621,421 times
DO NOT live in Warrenton and try to commute to Reston! Live as close to Reston as you can. As a fellow transplant, I can tell you, it is impossible to understand how bad the traffic here is, and you want to avoid I-66 and 29 (the main road from Warrenton) like the plague. My husband is lucky if he can go 50 miles in two hours, and we live just west of Warrenton. And he leaves at 5:30. I kid you not. Look at Sterling, north of Rt. 7, and Ashburn. Big family areas and MUCH closer. Even South Riding would be better, now that they've eliminated the stoplights on Rt. 28. Loudoun Schools are really good, and most of the Fiarfax schools are good or better, there are just more transitional neighborhoods in Fairfax. it depends on what you like and are comfortable with. But if I possibly can save you the torture my husband is stuck with now that we own a nice rural house we can't sell, I want to. Do not commit to that commute! In northern VA, if it seems like a good deal, especially coming from San Antone, you probably don't want to live there with your kids. Warrenton is a beautiful little town, but that commute is brutal. Live as close to where you work as you can. Seriously.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM

657 posts, read 621,421 times
Haymarket would be awful, too. you're better off in rural Loudoun off Rt. 7 than in anything off I-66.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,914,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pporter16 View Post
By the way - we have always lived in a home with our kids. We plan to rent and condos is what we can afford.
We could help you much better if we knew what your budget and expectations are (number of bedrooms, square feet, age). I agree with the others DON'T live in Warrenton or Haymarket and commute to Reston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia