U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2012, 01:31 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,171,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Exactly. The question was "What does walkability mean to you?" Obviously, the word in this instance was meant subjectively, or the question would not be there. To Caladium and perhaps others, it means "If I can walk there without getting killed." To others, it means "If it's a pleasant walk with an interesting streetscape." (Gawd, I can't believe I used a hipster word like streetscape! Soon I'll be wearing trucker hats.)

there are many objective criteria, the choice of which, are subjective.

for example whether a metro station is within one quarter of a mile from your house as per google maps walk directions, or is within one half a mile, are both objective questions. Whether being within one quarter mile is important to YOU is subjective. Whether the number of residents within one quarter mile of a metro is an important measure for purposes of planning ridership is something that may need to be answered by studies - and it may look different to those with no use for planners or studies.

I asked for how people subjectively use the word, in responding to questions - I certainly did mean to include people who use objective criteria to define it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I generally look at Wikipedia as a resource, not a dictionary. However, Webster's Collegiate Dictionary defines "urbanity" as "the quality or state of being urbane," while the term "urbane" is defined as "notably polite or finished in manner." In short, I think Carlingtonian understood what I intended to convey, while BBD either did not understand, or chose to challenge, my statement.
in this instance I was in a hurry to get to my point about small towns, and simply didnt think through the usage of urbane vs urban.

Urban itself is difficult, as its often used to mean central city - hence to some people Congress Heights is urban, and Clarendon is suburban - though Clarendon is denser than Congress Heights, AFAIK.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM

BTW another word I have seen (did someone here use it already)
is pedestrian friendliness. I'm not sure that would answer all the objections, but maybe it gets away from "It can't be unwalkable, I've walked it!"

also it parallels better with bicycle friendliness.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,066,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
well if we are discussing dictionaries that were attacked for descriptivism by someone who died over 40 years ago, well
Scholes is still alive. Vonnegut died in 2004, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Heres a quote on language I prefer

Its originally in Yiddish

"a shprakh iz a dialekt mit an armey un flot"

A language is a dialect with an army and a navy - Max Weinreich
Yiddish is just misspelled German.

Just kidding.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM

not everone likes wiki, but this is good

Dictionary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM

5,959 posts, read 6,325,430 times
I don't necessarily think walkability means urban, but I do think of it as a place with a central "downtown" core. It could be urban like downtown DC or very small like Strasburg, VA. As I mentioned upthread, Middleburg is a walkable town, but definitely not urban. Other towns that aren't urban that have walkable downtown cores are Leesburg, Fredericksburg, and Herndon, to name a few.

To me "walkable" means that by foot, I can get errands done, go out to eat, or be entertained without use of a car (i.e. I can walk to the bank, park, library, grocery store, restaurant, movies, etc). However, I understand that some people who want "walkable" just want sidewalks in their neighborhood that they can walk on.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,285,437 times
Somewhere that is walkable is somewhere where I don't have to worry too much about getting run over. Of course, pedestrians that think they own the road are annoying and idiotic.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,455,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Scholes is still alive. Vonnegut died in 2004, I think.
2007 Kurt Vonnegut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 2,837,644 times
I define walkablity as being able to do as much as I can without a car in an efficient manner.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

9,395 posts, read 16,003,951 times
To clarify, this thread can remain in NOVA; however, when discussing general topics, please use local examples as that will make it of use in this forum. Walkability in this region may not be identical to others in other areas of the country, but it will help others to know to what area one is referring. Instead of saying "a small town," say something like "a small town, such as Kensington, MD, or The Plains, VA, ..." to allow someone to compare/contrast with other areas. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia