U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,043,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If you're willing to drive somewhere, you could ride up (or down) the Four Mile Run Trail in Arlington, which goes from Shirlington to near Westover. (I think you may have said you'd done this trail before.) Or you could park in Bon Air Park and then ride along the W&OD out toward Dulles..
Im familiar with W&OD, Four Mile Run trail, Custis Trail, and MVT. I'm looking for rides that do NOT involve a car. Actually moving in the direction of using the bike for transportation.

Quote:
I did the trails in Annandale just yesterday morning with a friend. I thought they were fantastic--wider than the ones in Arl, and mostly unpaved. (I have a sort of road-oriented mountain bike.) More woodsy by far, and not as crowded. Lots of unleashed dogs, however
You mean the Accotink Trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM

3,592 posts, read 2,921,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im familiar with W&OD, Four Mile Run trail, Custis Trail, and MVT. I'm looking for rides that do NOT involve a car. Actually moving in the direction of using the bike for transportation.
Sir yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You mean the Accotink Trail?
Cross-County Trail. We got on near Mockingbird Dr.

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Cross-County Trail. We got on near Mockingbird Dr.
CCT was formed by linking the old Accotink Trail with the Difficult Run Trail. That part is the old Accotink Trail. I've walked it several times, but haven't biked it since before I lived in Annandale.

Unread 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM

Did some more biking around the neighborhood. Another loops in the residential part, and a brave odyssey down LRT.

The combo of service roads, sidewalks, and parking lots do NOT make biking on LRT realistic, IMO. McWhorter/John Marr are an alternative, as far as they go.

There is a (small) bike rack at George Mason public library, and a bike rack at the new TD bank branch. Only bike racks in the neighborhood I've noted so far. My hats off to TD bank, for their commitment to urbanism and alt transportation modes. They seem to be like the Harris Teeter of banks.

Unread 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Note - there is also a bike rack by the office building at Heritage and LRT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia