U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 AM

4,467 posts, read 4,710,251 times

Advertisements

I live across Rt 50, on N Courthouse Rd. and every night between 2am-5am the dogs, and there are several fo them, at the Fort Myers kennel bark and bark and bark... it goes on for over an hour and all of a sudden it stops.

Not that it does anything but one of my neighbors yells "shutup!!!" out his window.

Does anyone know what goes on over there with these dogs?? It is incredibly annoying and obviously wakes many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,929,677 times
That does sound annoying. Why don't you go over there and politely inquire? (And it's Ft. Myer, by the way.)

Old 04-14-2012, 12:26 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,115,392 times
I would definitely complain, repeatedly. That should not be happening. Call the base commander.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I would definitely complain, repeatedly. That should not be happening. Call the base commander.

Yes, I will try this. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM

23,537 posts, read 33,256,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I'd also check for any noise ordinances. I have a thread on the Louisville forum about trash collectors waking me @ 3 in the morning. I contacted my city's goverment and the collectors were found to be violating a noise ordinance by doing collection at that time of night and had to change their route.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd also check for any noise ordinances. I have a thread on the Louisville forum about trash collectors waking me @ 3 in the morning. I contacted my city's goverment and the collectors were found to be violating a noise ordinance by doing collection at that time of night and had to change their route.

Thanks, I will go check it out and see who I can talk with. I hope the Ft. is not exempt.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM

907 posts, read 2,913,194 times
Default Not for nothin', but...

You did choose to live pretty close to a military base that's been at that location since...the civil war I think.

We used to live in the court house area a few years back and the gun fire would wake me up as would morning and evening wake up horn. I got used to it but never thought to complain.

I'm pretty sure the military dogs have immunity from complaints about their barking. You might consider a white noise machine??

Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,929,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
You did choose to live pretty close to a military base that's been at that location since...the civil war I think.

We used to live in the court house area a few years back and the gun fire would wake me up as would morning and evening wake up horn. I got used to it but never thought to complain.

I'm pretty sure the military dogs have immunity from complaints about their barking. You might consider a white noise machine??
Yeah, but that doesn't give them carte blanche to do whatever they want. I can guarantee you they didn't always have dogs barking at 3AM. If the OP was complaining about called cadences ("I got a gal in New Orleans!" etc.) at 3:00 PM, then I'd agree she should get over it. But 3AM is ridiculous.

I wonder if this is also awakening the people who live on the base. (There are some incredible old houses for flag officers and the like, though I'm betting they put Hotel Pooch on the other side.)

Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM

25 posts, read 76,701 times
According to a buddy of mine whom is a Military Working Dog Handler says he can not guarantee this, but it would be the most logical explanation:

Military Working Dogs are exempt from noise ordinances cause.. Well, you need the fur bags to bark in order to perform their duties. He thinks Ft. Myer houses the Military K-9 unit primarily used in Washington D.C. for assorted and sundry sniff duties at various Government/Military facilities throughout the Capital.

The doggie barracks as he calls it, wakes the dogs around 2 or 3 a.m. to get them feed, exercised, and ... err... "Relieved" for their doo-dy day (pun intended.) They and their handlers are then most likely loaded up and commuted into the city do their daily allowance of butt, briefcase, and backpack sniffing. LOL!!! That would probably explain why it quiets down around that 5:00 a.m. time frame.

If the barking is a problem, a good old fashion box fan running in your bedroom is a wonderful white noise generator ...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAutistic View Post
According to a buddy of mine whom is a Military Working Dog Handler says he can not guarantee this, but it would be the most logical explanation:

Military Working Dogs are exempt from noise ordinances cause.. Well, you need the fur bags to bark in order to perform their duties. He thinks Ft. Myer houses the Military K-9 unit primarily used in Washington D.C. for assorted and sundry sniff duties at various Government/Military facilities throughout the Capital.

The doggie barracks as he calls it, wakes the dogs around 2 or 3 a.m. to get them feed, exercised, and ... err... "Relieved" for their doo-dy day (pun intended.) They and their handlers are then most likely loaded up and commuted into the city do their daily allowance of butt, briefcase, and backpack sniffing. LOL!!! That would probably explain why it quiets down around that 5:00 a.m. time frame.

If the barking is a problem, a good old fashion box fan running in your bedroom is a wonderful white noise generator ...
Thank you!! That makes sense and I appreciate you asking your friend. I have my fan ready!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia