U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,875,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post

What exactly is the point of this thread anyway?
to discuss an unusual (as far as I can tell anyway) new business in Arlington.

I guarantee you, if a kosher restaurant ever opens in NoVa, I will try to be the first to post about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM

7,475 posts, read 4,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I only mentioned chick fil a in the other thread because a particular gay poster was mentioned as being disappointed his new nabe didnt have chick fil A within walking distance (that then became a mini topic on annandale and mall food and transportation, to which religion was not relevant)

I mentioned it here because its the only other example of a "christian principles" restaurant I can think of.

I think you are looking for something in my threads which is not there. I can see someone finding me hostile to certain forms of urban development, but to Christianity???? My rabbi is deeply involved with the interfaith community in Alex, I have attended interfaith services with Westminster Presbyterian, I have christian friends, and I have been supportive of my daughters friendships with fundamentalist christian friends (whom I have found to be very respectful of our Judaism) I may have issues with the politics of SOME evangelical christians, but I am aware BOTH that evangelicalism does not charecterize all christians, AND that there are evangelicals with a spectrum of political beliefs.
It appears like you're attacking Chick fil a to be honest. What does someone being gay have to do with Chick fil a? Do you think they have done something wrong to gays? You went out of your way to point that out then you went out of your way to bring them back up in this thread. How can you compare a chicken place to a frozen yogurt place? Come on.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM

7,475 posts, read 4,971,621 times
Quote:
oh cmon, I was trying to be funny, seeing as fro yo shops are sometimes seen as a marker of yuppie/hipsterness, and that they happen to have a (IMO) poorly designed website, and I saw a connection and made a little joke. Sometimes jokes fall flat, and Im sorry if that did, but it was not intended as a flame, at all.
Well it didn't come off as a joke, it seemed almost a bit stereotypical, almost like saying they need to get a non-Christian web designer to make the site hip and that a Christian based business is not capable of being 'hip'. To be honest, it was in poor taste and in my opinion difficult to tell that you were joking.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM

2,012 posts, read 2,848,582 times
We have a Sweet Frog in Brambleton. It's delicious! And cheaper than Coldstone, which is our other frozen treat option. There's nothing particularly religious about the shop or its product.

Now, there's a new clothing store in the Village at Leesburg called "Altar'd State"...it's a Christian clothing store with modest but fashionable clothing. The religious tie-in makes more sense for clothing, especially since there other demographics (Muslims, Mormons, Orthodox Jews) which have a strong presence in the "modest dress" business, at least online. I haven't been inside, but I've been by, and I think they are likely to attract non-religious shoppers as well.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
It appears like you're attacking Chick fil a to be honest. What does someone being gay have to do with Chick fil a? Do you think they have done something wrong to gays?
I have no particular opinion, but I note some gay people do think so, as a matter of fact, due to some controversy about donations Chick fil A has made. there is a link in the other thread. Its got nothing to do with this thread, so can we drop it?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Well it didn't come off as a joke, it seemed almost a bit stereotypical, almost like saying they need to get a non-Christian web designer to make the site hip and that a Christian based business is not capable of being 'hip'. To be honest, it was in poor taste and in my opinion difficult to tell that you were joking.
jokes are often made based on stereotypes, and I do get the sense that some christians dont like some hipsters, and I thought that was enough basis for a joke, one which teased christians and hipsters equally. Sorry if it offended, I didnt mean to offend.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
We have a Sweet Frog in Brambleton. It's delicious! And cheaper than Coldstone, which is our other frozen treat option. There's nothing particularly religious about the shop or its product.

Now, there's a new clothing store in the Village at Leesburg called "Altar'd State"...it's a Christian clothing store with modest but fashionable clothing. The religious tie-in makes more sense for clothing, especially since there other demographics (Muslims, Mormons, Orthodox Jews) which have a strong presence in the "modest dress" business, at least online..
definitely IRL as well. I could go on and on about that, but its not really on topic in NoVa (where almost no Jews afaict, follow rules of Tzniut (modesty) particularly strictly)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,015,681 times
A Sweet Frog opened in Winchester a few months ago and it is wildly popular. So popular in fact that the lines wrap around and it takes a long time to get your yogurt. I often wonder if my yogurt will melt by the time I get to the cash register . . .

That said, I like their technique as you can choose whatever amount of yogurt and toppings you want (you pay by weight) without have a set price of small, medium, large, etc.

I don't like the flavors so much because some are plain gaudy (i.e., cotton candy, etc.) -- obviously meant to attract little kids and so. And wonder why they don't have things like Tiramisu or Mango or something supposedly-more-natural. But maybe it's the one in Winchester and not other sites.

I can't stand the line in there and hope this store considers re-arranging things to accommodate the customers. There are two cash registers but often times only 1 cashier for the crowd. And when you have a small store full of little kids pawing at yogurt toppings or very loud teens, it becomes too much. They really need another store. Or if there were a competitor with similar products, I'd be there.

I don't really see how being a "Christian store" relates to what's there --whether it's treatment of employees, being friendly, etc. Seems like store operations and customer service would be a given and not something dictated by a "Christian philosophy". Also, I have not heard about certain causes or issues they support.

BTW, that website stinks -- I can't read a single word on it.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
A Sweet Frog opened in Winchester a few months ago and it is wildly popular. So popular in fact that the lines wrap around and it takes a long time to get your yogurt. I often wonder if my yogurt will melt by the time I get to the cash register . . .

That said, I like their technique as you can choose whatever amount of yogurt and toppings you want (you pay by weight) without have a set price of small, medium, large, etc. .
actually there are a bunch of places like that. The negative is that since its sold by weight, you can't start eating it before you pay for it, and with a product that MELTS, that can be an issue, esp if there is a delay at check out.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,015,681 times
Quote:
actually there are a bunch of places like that. The negative is that since its sold by weight, you can't start eating it before you pay for it, and with a product that MELTS, that can be an issue, esp if there is a delay at check out.
Yeah, that's what annoys me about this place.

And I've seen little kids get so inpatient at this one in Winchester that they start eating it while waiting in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia