U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM

8,815 posts, read 10,719,701 times

Advertisements

Starbucks, Froyo Store Coming to Arlington Ridge | ARLnow.com

hmmmm. Closed on sunday?? (while a relatively less hip (??) fro yo place may appeal, they ought to compromise and get a hip web designer to make their website actually readable)

I'm not sure what else they mean - I mean I know what would be different about a kosher frozen yogurt place, but not a Christian one. I understand they want it clean and family friendly, but frankly I've never been in a frozen yogurt place that struck me as not family friendly (maybe I haven't been to the right (or wrong depending on your POV) frozen yogurt places.

Probably a healthier closed on sunday choice than Chick Fil A, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM

664 posts, read 1,625,132 times
Maybe the "family friendly" is from an employees point of view. I know in the past, when I've worked retail, my schedule was always all over the place. I could never count on having the same day off each week, so it was hard to plan for thigns. With at least one day the store is closed, the owner/manager/employees have at least one guaranteed consistent day off to spend with their families.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,585,325 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with their website--it's easily readable and navigable to me.

I do think that's an interesting location for a frozen yogurt shop though. I hope they're successful--there's a similar place in a shopping center near me that is very popular with my students. If I remember right, there's a school right around the corner from the place Sweet Frog is going in to, so maybe they'll get a lot of after school clientele.

Edit: My guess is "founded on Christian principles" refers to their business model--that they give away a percentage of profits, that they pay their employees a fair wage, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,653,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Starbucks, Froyo Store Coming to Arlington Ridge | ARLnow.com

hmmmm. Closed on sunday?? (while a relatively less hip (??) fro yo place may appeal, they ought to compromise and get a hip web designer to make their website actually readable)

I'm not sure what else they mean - I mean I know what would be different about a kosher frozen yogurt place, but not a Christian one. I understand they want it clean and family friendly, but frankly I've never been in a frozen yogurt place that struck me as not family friendly (maybe I haven't been to the right (or wrong depending on your POV) frozen yogurt places.

Probably a healthier closed on sunday choice than Chick Fil A, I guess.
Dude you are flaming, you are really flaming. It seems like you're constantly looking for an argument especially with Christians. Who cares if it's a Christian place? Why does that bother you so much? If you don't like it then go to McDonald's.

What exactly is the point of this thread anyway?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Dude you are flaming, you are really flaming. It seems like you constantly looking for an argument especially with Christians. Who cares if it's a Christian place? Why does that bother you so much? If you don't like it then go to McDonald's.
what? I found it curious thats all. And if its really going to focus on ethical treatment of employees, like Hereinva says it might, I heartily approve and might go out of my way to eat there.

What did I say that was flaming?

BTW, I presume somone cares that its a christian place, as its my impression they are making the point of stating that.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with their website--it's easily readable and navigable to me.

Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt

maybe its my eyes or maybe its my browser, but I can't read the text on that. (hopefully they will change it soon and my comment will no longer make sense)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,653,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
what? I found it curious thats all. And if its really going to focus on ethical treatment of employees, like Hereinva says it might, I heartily approve and might go out of my way to eat there.

What did I say that was flaming?

BTW, I presume somone cares that its a christian place, as its my impression they are making the point of stating that.
It's just how you casually keep bringing Chick fil a and how this is a Christian place in the conversation. It's almost like you're trying to say something without actually saying it.

I mean really? 'Compromise' to get a hip site?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Edit: My guess is "founded on Christian principles" refers to their business model--that they give away a percentage of profits, that they pay their employees a fair wage, etc.

that would be absolutely beautiful, and would definitely get me to go there. If they would get rabbinic kashrut supervision (not that hard for a frozen yogurt shop, I think) they could both add to their clientele and get a stamp of approval from Uri L Tzedek as well. Ecumenical commitment to social justice, yay!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It's just how you casually keep bringing Chick fil a and how this is a Christian place in the conversation. It's almost like you're trying to say something without actually saying it.

I only mentioned chick fil a in the other thread because a particular gay poster was mentioned as being disappointed his new nabe didnt have chick fil A within walking distance (that then became a mini topic on annandale and mall food and transportation, to which religion was not relevant)

I mentioned it here because its the only other example of a "christian principles" restaurant I can think of.

I think you are looking for something in my threads which is not there. I can see someone finding me hostile to certain forms of urban development, but to Christianity???? My rabbi is deeply involved with the interfaith community in Alex, I have attended interfaith services with Westminster Presbyterian, I have christian friends, and I have been supportive of my daughters friendships with fundamentalist christian friends (whom I have found to be very respectful of our Judaism) I may have issues with the politics of SOME evangelical christians, but I am aware BOTH that evangelicalism does not charecterize all christians, AND that there are evangelicals with a spectrum of political beliefs.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I mean really? 'Compromise' to get a hip site?
oh cmon, I was trying to be funny, seeing as fro yo shops are sometimes seen as a marker of yuppie/hipsterness, and that they happen to have a (IMO) poorly designed website, and I saw a connection and made a little joke. Sometimes jokes fall flat, and Im sorry if that did, but it was not intended as a flame, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or