U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,726 times

Advertisements

The acceptance letters for TJHSST have been sent and received. FCPS has released the statistics for the new class of 2016. Article about TJ admissions here: TJHSST Admission Statistics for Class of 2016 « Virginia Virtucon

FCPS released stats: http://www.fcps.edu/cco/pr/tj/tjadmissions0412.pdf

I was surprised that the new class is 64% Asian and nearly 60% male. Every year the percentage of Asians increases at TJ. Will it eventually be 100% and all male? I don't have a problem with that, if those are the students who should be there, those with the best grades, highest scores, and those who excel the most at math, science, and technology. I want kids at TJ who need it, those who need the most advanced math, science, and technology courses, courses that they can't get anywhere else.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,593 times
I would like to know the stats for applications/acceptances by jurisdiction. I wonder if fewer students from Loudoun apply now that the Academy of Science is established. And I just read that someone has applied to open a math/IT charter school in Loudoun: Our Loudoun Schools. The application is being supported by the Northern Virginia Technology Council.

I think that it's great that we are starting to have more options out here. I did the 1+ hour bus ride each way to a magnet school when I was in high school, and it's a time suck, plus it makes extracurriculars (and socializing with classmates) more difficult. I know TJ builds activity time into the school schedule, but still... we live so close to our local high school that we can hear the football games. I like that kids at AOS are at their home school for part of the week. We're a ways off from that parenting decision (my kids are three!) but I would certainly encourage them to consider AOS if they are interested in STEM.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:55 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
I'm sure a lot of those guys will end up working for the women now at regular high schools who will be getting business degrees.

I'm thinking if you split the Asians out by themselves you'd find a more even balance between boys and girls with greater gender disparity amongst the non-Asians. If I'm right the perception that the typical TJ student is an Asian male would not be correct and your prediction that this group will represent 100% of the student population will not happen. In fact it could go the opposite way as far as gender is conderned. When I think of the typical student at my alma mater, Cal Berkeley, it's an Asian woman. This fits with the trend that women are now outpacing men in receiving college degrees.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 04-14-2012 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 101,686 times
What I am afraid of is the polically correct crowd will force the school to accept more whites, blacks and hispanics to fullfill some affirmative action requirement or polical goal. The result will be having to water down the classes and making the diploma from the school much less valuable for the students who did work hard or just have more talent.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Question View Post
What I am afraid of is the polically correct crowd will force the school to accept more whites, blacks and hispanics to fullfill some affirmative action requirement or polical goal. The result will be having to water down the classes and making the diploma from the school much less valuable for the students who did work hard or just have more talent.

Like the Jewish quotas at the Ivy League schools from back in the day? I don't see that happening. Sounds like your political philosophy is shaping your fears. What's more likely is they'll upgrade science and technical programs at the local high schools like they did with GT at the elementary and middle schools. The magnet school concept seems to have fallen into disfavor. This makes sense in an era of $4 gas and rising education levels across the area.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,333,975 times
He means exactly like the Jewish quotas at Ivy League schools.And for the same reason - Jealousy.

And which political philosophy would be concerned that white parents would demand quotas in the name of diversity? That would make the heads of both hardcore republicans and democrats explode.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I would like to know the stats for applications/acceptances by jurisdiction.
I'm curious about this, too.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM

515 posts, read 1,506,115 times
I'm for letting the computer decide who will best perform at TJ, without regard to characteristics such as ethnicity.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
I'm for letting the computer decide who will best perform at TJ, without regard to characteristics such as ethnicity.
You must be a fan of the BCS.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,618,430 times
Congratulations to the admitted students. I do find it curious that FCPS has stripped the admissions data from past years' press releases. Maybe it's a problem with the web site, but it creates the impression that FCPS doesn't want people to study the recent trends too carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia