U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,366 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm a new College Grad moving to NOVA area after finishing college in the Baltimore area. I'll be working in Ashburn. Anyone know any good apartments/complexes to look at for a 1bedroom/studio at around $1200/month? I've heard that Reston would be a good place to look since I won't have any roommates for the first year of my lease and Arlington would be too expensive/too long a commute.

Also, does anyone know how long the commute would be from Reston to Ashburn (I know it should be opposite most of the traffic to the city), and how much the toll on Dulles Toll Road would be every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,638,169 times
Commute and tolls strongly depend on where in Ashburn you'll be working. It's a large area, and there are some toll-free options from Reston. (I should also say that it also depends on where you're coming from in Reston, but obviously that's yet to be determined.). Do you mind saying where exactly you'll be working? (or cross streets)?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM

^It'd be the very south-eastern part of Ashburn, just north of Dulles airport and adjacent to Sterling.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 PM

646 posts, read 886,959 times
I see ParcReston has a one bedroom condo for $1300 a month -- very good location right across the street from the Reston Town Center and has an underground tunnel to walk there. Also super close to the entrance to the toll road. They are condos and you rent from the owner but they are nice and well kept and in a very safe area -- you may also be able to negotiate a slightly better price from the owner -- worth a shot I always say -- particularly if you can convince the owner you will be a responsible tenant. From that location I would say it would take you 20 to 25 minutes to get to Ashburn -- not sure of the cost.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,638,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoretoVA1 View Post
^It'd be the very south-eastern part of Ashburn, just north of Dulles airport and adjacent to Sterling.
Okay, then you probably won't need the Greenway. Depending on your departure point, you'll probably take the Dulles Toll Road to Route 28, and I believe the current exit toll there is $0.75 (no toll to get on the DTR westbound in Reston). You could also go toll-free using Herndon Parkway to 606, or Route 7 to Cascades Parkway to Church Rd., but of course you'll pay in time (traffic lights).

On preview: I think Franny Bear's right about the timing from the Reston Town Center area, if you take the Toll Road to Route 28.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Talk about a good weekend for Loudouners to throw in my face. 1) I enjoy a day at Willowcroft and 2) Someone is asking for advice for their commute to Loudoun.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
Hi! Welcome to northern VA. Here are some old threads on specific apartment complexes in Reston. Some of the info may be dated, but they might help. A fair number of people seem to like the Archstone Charter Oak apartments near RTC, and that's the one I'd probably go for. Be aware, though, that you can expect your rent to rise after the first year. (But hey, if you're only planning to be there a year it's a great choice!)

Reston - Archstone Charter Oak Apartments
Townhomes for rent in Vienna, west to Reston?
NoVA is Amazing! (this thread has a photo tour of Archstone in Reston)
Crescent Apartments, Reston, Virginia

Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM

^ Great thanks. Anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps in neighboring cities like Herndon or something?

The size of the apartment is not important, I don't have much stuff and am coming from a tiny apartment, but I definitely need a parking spot/lot.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 33,654 times
Slightly off topic, but I believe Willowcroft is the best winery in Loudoun based on quality of wine, price, and incredible views.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western loudoun View Post
Slightly off topic, but I believe Willowcroft is the best winery in Loudoun based on quality of wine, price, and incredible views.
Hey you are preaching to the choir. Met the owners a few times now, and when no one else thought a good wine could be made in Virginia, they were moving forward full force. They run a great winery and for you wine enthusiasts, their Petit Verdot 2006 has just hit its peak and it is one of the finest wines you will ever find. You could find an equivalent easily selling for $40+ and they have it for sale for 27. Seriously if you want to impress someone with a great wine and are near by I would highly suggest it over other overpriced imports.

Back on topic to the OP since I feel bad that I derailed him, Herndon has a lot of cheaper options compared to Reston. I had a friend who rented at a garden style right off Centreville Road between Frying Pan and World Gate. Had good access to the grocery store and the shopping center with PeiWei and I think his rent with his roommate 2br was 600 each (can't be beat). No idea what they are at now, but yea drive down Centreville Road around Frying Pan and around Monroe as well and you will find lots of these garden styles which are far more affordable than Reston if thats all you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia