U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times

Advertisements

Agreed, I dont think Clarendon has to be a singular region of Virginia though. I hope it stands to prove the benefits of good design... though I think they misunderstood that people with kids and the elderly would also love Clarendon (something they are scrambling to adjust for schools and hospitals).

The future of Northern Virginia, if we act while this region remains an area that has national attention for large developers, will be more like Clarendon and less like disconnected southeastern Fairfax. If we don't act quickly, then all of the good intent and regional cooperation of developers goes out the window, and we will end up with disconnected and cheap regions... again.

Keep posting these great Clarendon photos, maybe some nay sayers will change their minds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Agreed, I dont think Clarendon has to be a singular region of Virginia though. I hope it stands to prove the benefits of good design... though I think they misunderstood that people with kids and the elderly would also love Clarendon (something they are scrambling to adjust for schools and hospitals).

The future of Northern Virginia, if we act while this region remains an area that has national attention for large developers, will be more like Clarendon and less like disconnected southeastern Fairfax. If we don't act quickly, then all of the good intent and regional cooperation of developers goes out the window, and we will end up with disconnected and cheap regions... again.

Keep posting these great Clarendon photos, maybe some nay sayers will change their minds
Please be so kind as to avoid negative statements about other areas on this thread - I want to show and discuss some things I like about Clarendon - while by implication that may suggest I like some other areas less (and I may even be in agreement with you about certain other areas), I would hate to see this thread derailed. The way to win converts to good urban design, I believe, is to point out good design, not to lecture folks about whats wrong with their communities. The ones who have issues with the current design of their communities don't need to be told, and the ones who don't wont listen anyway.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
I haven't been down there in a while....is Sears Roebuck and G.C. Murphy still there on Wilson?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 PM

560 posts, read 1,106,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I haven't been down there in a while....is Sears Roebuck and G.C. Murphy still there on Wilson?

It must be 10 years since the Sears closed. There is a Whole Foods there now. The whole area has almost completely changed.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
It must be 10 years since the Sears closed. There is a Whole Foods there now. The whole area has almost completely changed.
I think it was longer than that. I moved to northern Virginia in 1994 and it was already closed then. And you are correct -- the whole area has dramatically changed.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM

49 posts, read 124,522 times
I like Clarendon area, too!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM

560 posts, read 1,106,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I think it was longer than that. I moved to northern Virginia in 1994 and it was already closed then. And you are correct -- the whole area has dramatically changed.

Wow, time flies.

This Walgreens looks like itís been there since the 50ís, but is fairly new (I think it was an NTB previously)-

38.889146,-77.092389 - Google Maps

Scroll around to see the Sears site...

Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 PM

427 posts, read 973,269 times
Mmmmmm, love Crumbs!

Thanks for the photo tour!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,243 times
That Sears store closed in the 80s I believe. The Walgreens just opened last year maybe.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,119,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Longer than 10 years in the past. I don't recall the G.C. Murphy, but I remember when Sears automotive had their closing sale (1989? 1990?), and the big Sears parking lot is now a shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia