U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM

15,867 posts, read 35,985,764 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure all the details of this county, but it seems like a particularly attractive part of northern Virginia...

What are some of the more peculiar laws there? When I drove through it, it seemed to be maintaining it's rural feel. So, I guess no large developments are allowed? Or did I just not happen to see them? Equally, the speed limits seem to be much less. So, I guess this discourages long-distance commuters from being too intent to settle deep within the county.

Anything else peculiar about it?

Additionally, projections or thoughts on the future (or present) of Fauquier County in Virginia..

I'll include a map...feel free to go off on any tangent you so desire (related to the county)...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,631,350 times
There are 20+ wineries there (not including Oasis, the Salahi winery, which is absent from the county tourism site, and isn't actually making wine anymore, though it seems like it might be sort-of open for events (https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/oasiswine - broken link). Who the heck would give him money these days, especially after the wine-tour drama last year? ).

Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,807,981 times
Don't know too much about that area except that some parts are quite wealthy (especially near the northern border) and a surprising number of Hollywood celebrities own horse property there. Not a lot of big celebrity bashes, though, so I think they come out here to "de-stress and get away from it all" (while at the same time being near DC).

Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 AM

Didn't the Salahis move back to LA? Or was it just the wife after she had that affair with the has been rock star? The last thing I heard about the Salahis was the husband was selling her underwear on E-Bay sometime last year and then they disappeared off the gossip radar. (And hallelujah for that.)

Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Didn't the Salahis move back to LA? Or was it just the wife after she had that affair with the has been rock star? The last thing I heard about the Salahis was the husband was selling her underwear on E-Bay sometime last year and then they disappeared off the gossip radar. (And hallelujah for that.)
Yes, and they are suing each other for various stupid things. To keep this on-topic for this thread, they lived in Warren County, but the winery is in Fauquier County. They've probably caused way too much drama for either place. I'm not at all famiiar with Warrenton or the southern part of the county, but the north (Upperville, Paris, The Plains) seems like old quiet money (like neighboring Middleburg) and the Salahis are the antithesis of that.

I just remembered that when I first started at UUNET back in 1998 (before WorldCom sucked all the money, fun, and ethics out of the company), we had a company picnic out at the Marriott Ranch in Hume. It was beautiful.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM

8,755 posts, read 10,661,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not sure all the details of this county, but it seems like a particularly attractive part of northern Virginia...

What are some of the more peculiar laws there? When I drove through it, it seemed to be maintaining it's rural feel. So, I guess no large developments are allowed? Or did I just not happen to see them?

1. There are some large developments, I think, just ne of Warrenton along 29.

2. IIUC fauquier has planned growth areas or "service districts" (including the above) and outside those does not provide central water or sewer service. I believe they match that to their rural zoning - I don't think they have a simple line seperating growth from rural, like Rte 15 in Loudoun (pardon if Ive oversimplified the situation in Loudoun), or the Agricultural reserve in MoCo, but I think they do try to preserve the rural character of large parts of the county.

You might find these interesting.

http://www.pecva.org/index.php/our-region/fauquier

http://www.pecva.org/index.php/maps-...f-conservation

Note a tool in addition to zoning for rural preservation that is widely used in Fauquier (and I think also in Loudoun) are conservation easements. The landowner sells or donates development rights on their land to a conservation organization. When they pay property taxes, IIUC, they then have to pay only on the agricultural value of the land, not on its development potential. So aside from landowners with an altruistic commmitment to conservation, it can be of benefit to a farmer who is not interested in selling and wants to lower their property taxes, IIUC.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Note a tool in addition to zoning for rural preservation that is widely used in Fauquier (and I think also in Loudoun) are conservation easements. The landowner sells or donates development rights on their land to a conservation organization. When they pay property taxes, IIUC, they then have to pay only on the agricultural value of the land, not on its development potential. So aside from landowners with an altruistic commmitment to conservation, it can be of benefit to a farmer who is not interested in selling and wants to lower their property taxes, IIUC.
Here is a map of conservation easements in Fauquier (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pecphotos/6678988495/in/set-72157628855929513/ - broken link). And, for comparison, Loudoun (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pecphotos/6691397005/in/photostream - broken link).

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM

8,755 posts, read 10,661,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Here is a map of conservation easements in Fauquier (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pecphotos/6678988495/in/set-72157628855929513/ - broken link). And, for comparison, Loudoun (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pecphotos/6691397005/in/photostream - broken link).

great maps!

Re fauquier - note the concentration in the NE corner of the county near I66. Im guessing the areas where both the farmers and the Conserv orgs see development pressure and are trying to stop it. OTOH along 29 NE of warrenton it looks like they accept development will happen. Other areas maybe still too distant to be a big issue?

Re Loudoun

1. Is that pocket east of Rte 15 and N of Leesburg an area LC wants to keep rural? I vaguely recall someone here mentioning that. Some topographical issue?

2. Note one conserved parcel east of 15 and south of rte 7. SOMEONE out there doesn't accept growth in that part of Loudoun, I guess.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,856,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
great maps!

Re fauquier - note the concentration in the NE corner of the county near I66. Im guessing the areas where both the farmers and the Conserv orgs see development pressure and are trying to stop it. OTOH along 29 NE of warrenton it looks like they accept development will happen. Other areas maybe still too distant to be a big issue?

Re Loudoun

1. Is that pocket east of Rte 15 and N of Leesburg an area LC wants to keep rural? I vaguely recall someone here mentioning that. Some topographical issue?

2. Note one conserved parcel east of 15 and south of rte 7. SOMEONE out there doesn't accept growth in that part of Loudoun, I guess.
Generally, LC wants to keep Route 15 north of Leesburg rural, there's karst limestone that makes well-drilling on a massive scale less practical as well (the water runs down through it instead of getting filtered as is the norm.)

NE Fauquier is horse country, much the same as SW Loudoun. It's a de facto green belt.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Generally, LC wants to keep Route 15 north of Leesburg rural, there's karst limestone that makes well-drilling on a massive scale less practical as well (the water runs down through it instead of getting filtered as is the norm.)
Some parts of the northern section of LC are also prone to sinkholes. In addition, much of Loudoun County north of Leesburg is historic/sacred ground. Bottom line--not much development can be done up that way. And, the people who live up there like it that way so I doubt they would sell anyway.

Another thing landowners do is donate their property to the park system. That's how that new park/campground near White's Ferry came about.

As for development in Fauquier County, I could see it happening to some degree in Warrenton but it's a little too far (and too pricey) to be worthwhile for most developers. Just my two cents but I think it will remain mostly horse country and celebrity-getaway-land for quite some time to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia