U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,410,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Good points. It's even hit me that having lots of kids, though expensive when they're in the house, can ultimately pay off when you're old--esp. if they continue to live nearby--because they can take care of you and help you with household things. Of course, they'll expect you to babysit.
But don't you think the Duggars are taking it a bit too far?

Quote:
Yeah--but if you move to Dallas, you better like summers with 30 days over 100 degrees. No way could I move back there (well, near there). Austin or San Antonio--in a hearbeat. But N. Texas is just hot, flat, excessively and outwardly religious, and full of traffic. Winters are just cold enough to suck (lots of icy roads), and as a bonus, they get hail and tornadoes.
When feeling crabby about the COL here, I like to tell myself that there are usually good reasons why some cities are very expensive to live in and others, less so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

4,284 posts, read 4,066,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
But don't you think the Duggars are taking it a bit too far?
Is that the family of 18? In that case, no! That's, uh, smart retirment planning! All they need is a couple of doctors or lawyers out of the bunch, and they can retire and and get in on that spare-bedroom/all-you-can-nag gravy train!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Is that the family of 18? In that case, no! That's, uh, smart retirment planning! All they need is a couple of doctors or lawyers out of the bunch, and they can retire and and get in on that spare-bedroom/all-you-can-nag gravy train!
Have you let your wife know you've been considering some, er, creative financial planning approaches?

Seriously, I think one factor that works against the trend that CAVA foresees is that people often have to be mobile to take jobs. When I was a kid in the midwest, it was common for people to have parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, stepparents, etc., who lived their whole lives within 10 or 20 miles of the kids' homes, and the primary breadwinner worked for the same company or maybe changed jobs, but stayed in the same city, 3 or 4 times in his/her career. Today, particularly for professionals and those in globalizing or changing industries, people often have to move far away from extended family to take (or keep) jobs/careers. Two career couples often have to move and compromise because the odds are high that at least one of them will get transferred, laid off, be given promotion opportunities in a new city, etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

4,284 posts, read 4,066,765 times
Quote:
Have you let your wife know you've been considering some, er, creative financial planning approaches?
"Honey, I know you're tired--but it's for our future."

"Just close your eyes and think of the Shoney's Early Bird Discount."

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,486,511 times
Quote:
Seriously, I think one factor that works against the trend that CAVA foresees is that people often have to be mobile to take jobs. When I was a kid in the midwest, it was common for people to have parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, stepparents, etc., who lived their whole lives within 10 or 20 miles of the kids' homes, and the primary breadwinner worked for the same company or maybe changed jobs, but stayed in the same city, 3 or 4 times in his/her career. Today, particularly for professionals and those in globalizing or changing industries, people often have to move far away from extended family to take (or keep) jobs/careers. Two career couples often have to move and compromise because the odds are high that at least one of them will get transferred, laid off, be given promotion opportunities in a new city, etc.
Actually a lot of jobs such as in IT can be done remotely, either from a local facility owned by a large company or home. I can work out of any facility my company owns or my house. My wife has the same arrangement with hers. I don't recall any of my neighbors moving away in recent years for another job. They generally get something else in the area. Companies nowadays generally don't want to pay for relocation anyway and with technology, mobility seems to be less of an issue. The days of companies picking up and moving you are pretty much done.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,643,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually a lot of jobs such as in IT can be done remotely, either from a local facility owned by a large company or home. I can work out of any facility my company owns or my house. My wife has the same arrangement with hers. I don't recall any of my neighbors moving away in recent years for another job. They generally get something else in the area. Companies nowadays generally don't want to pay for relocation anyway and with technology, mobility seems to be less of an issue. The days of companies picking up and moving you are pretty much done.
But it's not the trend to stay with the same company your whole career anymore either. I'm 26, and the vast, vast majority of my IT professional friends are on their 2nd or 3rd company. My start group at a big name IT consulting firm was 25 recent grads in 2007. Of those 25, exactly 3 are still at the company. Around 10 of us are still in DC. The rest have moved out of the area, on to bigger and better things (chasing the almighty dollar, for the most part).

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
But it's not the trend to stay with the same company your whole career anymore either. I'm 26, and the vast, vast majority of my IT professional friends are on their 2nd or 3rd company. My start group at a big name IT consulting firm was 25 recent grads in 2007. Of those 25, exactly 3 are still at the company. Around 10 of us are still in DC. The rest have moved out of the area, on to bigger and better things (chasing the almighty dollar, for the most part).
And, needless to say, many people in this region, and even more so, in the country as a whole are NOT employed in IT professions or industries that may have as much flexibility and as many local opportunities as CAVA describes. I think if people on this board were asked how many of them moved here to take a job, a high proportion would say yes. And, macro studies show that the employee's average tenure with a company I believe is less than 8 years, a big drop from past years, if we compare apples-to-apples (e.g., primary breadwinners). I think the data are more consistent with the greater mobility point that I made than the contrary.

If we're using neighbors to provide anecdotal data, of the people who live 3 doors on either side of me, all moved here to take jobs, only 1 is in IT, the only extended family member I am aware of who lives nearby is an aunt of one of the couples, and no one has extended family living in their homes.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,486,511 times
Quote:
And, needless to say, many people in this region, and even more so, in the country as a whole are NOT employed in IT professions or industries that may have as much flexibility and as many local opportunities as CAVA describes. I think if people on this board were asked how many of them moved here to take a job, a high proportion would say yes. And, macro studies show that the employee's average tenure with a company I believe is less than 8 years, a big drop from past years, if we compare apples-to-apples (e.g., primary breadwinners). I think the data are more consistent with the greater mobility point that I made than the contrary.

If we're using neighbors to provide anecdotal data, of the people who live 3 doors on either side of me, all moved here to take jobs, only 1 is in IT, the only extended family member I am aware of who lives nearby is an aunt of one of the couples, and no one has extended family living in their homes.
Those are choices people make. I'll bet once people arrive here they don't leave the area but instead look to change jobs locally. I don't see much outward mobility from NoVA.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,643,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Those are choices people make. I'll bet once people arrive here they don't leave the area but instead look to change jobs locally. I don't see much outward mobility from NoVA.
I think people move away. It was something I really had to struggle to accept recently. It's tough for me to befriend people at church, through my dog training group, at work, etc, because they never seem to stay longer than 3-5 years. I've had 3 sets of close-ish friends move out of state in the past year, due to job opportunities in Seattle, Boston, and San Fransisco respectively. None of them were military--they just came, put in their time to build their resumes, and then got jobs in what they deemed more desirable areas.

I think they'd move away more if there were surplus job opportunities in places people find more desirable. I know a lot of people who came here because the career ladder is just better here. If they had the same opportunities in California or NYC or wherever they'd rather be, I think they'd go.

This area has a lot to offer, but it's silly to pretend like the biggest draw of the region isn't the job security. It's certainly not the weather or the low stress mentality

Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM

CAVA, instead of relying on anecdotes (which I am sure many posters, besides CaliTerp and me, can see and raise you), why not investigate more complete data that are out there? The reality is that the workforce is mobile (not just here but elsewhere in the country), and that is one key reason that people do not live close to relatives to the extent they did in the past. In fact, you may see less movement away from here because the recession is so much worse elsewhere, but as better jobs become more available elsewhere, you may see more of them leaving (unless they have lived here for 30 years, for example). Your own family and neighborhood may be the exception, but that doesn't change the fact that very few people have extended family living with them (other than kids who still can't find jobs, who don't qualify as "extended" family) and I know of no data that suggest that they will change that practice on a broad basis, even with high living costs, largely because in many cases, they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia