U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM

263 posts, read 794,555 times

Advertisements

Manassas is a huge area that consists of multiple zip codes- 20112, 20111, 20110, 20109, 20108,. It goes as far south/east as the Ashland Neighborhood which borders Montclair and Woodbridge which is about 35 minutes from Old Town Manassas and as West as the I-66 area. The 20112 area tends to have higher average home values, larger lots but would be a much more difficult commute to Herndon. It will depend on how far of a commute you would want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 AM

268 posts, read 340,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Maybe you studied "Math Investigations," but my data shows median SFR price in 20112 falling from over 600K in 2006 to a little over 400K, today.
Maybe you studied "Rudeness" but I was speaking in terms of post crash. The 2006 market wasn't reality, the ones that thought it was are the ones underwater or worse.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,836,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
Maybe you studied "Rudeness" but I was speaking in terms of post crash. The 2006 market wasn't reality, the ones that thought it was are the ones underwater or worse.
Rudeness is this posters middle name.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
My girlfriend and I are in a similar situation. Her new job in Herndon and me with orders to Quantico. I have NO idea where to live. She doesn't want to commute so I will do that. Does anyone have any info on where to live?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,858,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastersix View Post
My girlfriend and I are in a similar situation. Her new job in Herndon and me with orders to Quantico. I have NO idea where to live. She doesn't want to commute so I will do that. Does anyone have any info on where to live?
Then it sounds like Herndon is your only option...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Then it sounds like Herndon is your only option...
But to Quantico? That's a 46 mile drive one way. No way does that make sense.

bassmastersix,

your best bet is Manassas or if she wants to be even closer then Chantilly or Centreville, but then you are looking at an awful commute for yourself if you go north of Manassas. Your budget is really going to determine your options though because the price difference between Manassas and Chantilly/Centreville is pretty significant.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,858,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post

bassmastersix,

your best bet is Manassas or if she wants to be even closer then Chantilly or Centreville, but then you are looking at an awful commute for yourself if you go north of Manassas. Your budget is really going to determine your options though because the price difference between Manassas and Chantilly/Centreville is pretty significant.

He said her job is in Herndon and she doesn't want to commute....and that he would do the commuting.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,836,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post

bassmastersix,

It may be a 46 mile commute but not a hard commute as he'll primarily going against traffic. If they live in Manassas then she will have a tough commute and that's what he's looking to avoid. And the commute leaving Manassas to Quantico is nowhere near as bad as leaving Manassas to Herndon.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It may be a 46 mile commute but not a hard commute as he'll primarily going against traffic. If they live in Manassas then she will have a tough commute and that's what he's looking to avoid. And the commute leaving Manassas to Quantico is nowhere near as bad as leaving Manassas to Herndon.
Well if she wants to avoid traffic she's in the wrong area because Herndon would literally be the only way to avoid traffic.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastersix View Post
Slightly OT ...

Hopefully your willingness to assume the sacrifices/her dictating the terms does not extend to all other areas of your relationship.

If she is willing to cook, do greater housework, etc., it might be worth it. If she insists on a strict 50/50 split of domestic chores (despite your greater commute that she more or less imposed on you), I'd be worried about how this will play out over the course of your relationship (should you decide on a greater commitment.)

Of special note are things like being home for the cable guy, where she could pop out and just take a long lunch, whereas you'd be blowing up your entire day.

And if her job is in Herndon, you're going to be living in Herndon. SB 28 isn't terrible during rush hour, and 234 probably won't be that terrible. But it will be an hour commute.

I assume, of course, you have the money to afford Herndon. If you don't then welcome to Sterling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia