U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM

113 posts, read 363,458 times

Advertisements

IIRC you do not get points for infractions caught by a camera. If this is still true your insurance premium won't be affected, moving violation or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I wonder, do you have to pay for a ticket if you weren't the person driving? I know in this case you know who it is, your hubby, but it still doesn't seem fair. I mean, what if you dropped you car off at the mechanic and they took it for a test drive or something and ran a red light. If you aren't the person in the picture, it seems like the charges should be dropped since it's the person who is in violation, not the car owner.
I think there was a place where you could sign an affidavit stating that you were not driving. Not sure if you had to go to court, or could just sign and send it back. Even though it was "my" car, and the ticket came to me, Dh and I are both listed as owners on the title and registration, my name's just first. He just never drives my car, except for a few times a year, so I assumed it was me that did it. Without the video, I never would have known who the real offender was.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM

7,724 posts, read 18,524,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellington View Post
Wow, that's just messed up. Shame on your son for his lack of integrity. He's obviously in the wrong, but wants to pay for it as little as possible.
Is he at fault? Yes, he turned right on red where there was signage saying no turn on red.

Was he wrong to hire an attorney? Why is it okay for some and not okay for others?

It's not shame on him, it's shame on the County (Loudoun) that negotiated it down. He hired an attorney to represent him in court on his second day on a new job, where he felt taking off would have cost him far more than a ticket. Initial impressions on the job are everything - I think it's pretty mature he saw the importance, but he had also just moved to the area and had a clean driving record. He gave the attorney POA to handle the charges. He was just as surprised when he got the news of the change in charges. Are you always this quick to judge?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM

826 posts, read 685,986 times
Yes, you ran the light and got busted, but red light tickets are no worse than parking tickets -- no points, etc. Just pay the fine and be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd12345 View Post
I got a ticket in mail saying I crossed a red light at Fairfax (near the regional library in University Dr & North St).

OK, I was turning right in the University Dr from the North St to the library in the red and there is a sign saying No turn on red when pedestrians are present. It was 7:30 on Sunday morning and there was no one, so I turned right (I was going at around 14 MPH and I might not have stopped or paused) and under the speed limit.

Would this be considered as running a red light. The photo also shows that I am turning right.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM

61 posts, read 99,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Is he at fault? Yes, he turned right on red where there was signage saying no turn on red. Was he wrong to hire an attorney?
I personally think he was wrong to hire an attorney, because based on the situation, he was absolutely, 100% without question, in the wrong--and yet--he hired an attorney to fight his case for him. Why would he hire an attorney knowing that he broke the law and was guilty? Because he doesn't want to be responsible for his action, or rather, wants to be held responsible for it as little as possible (i.e. little consequence). Your son hired an attorney because he either wanted the fine reduced or completely written off. In short, he did not want to take full responsibility for his wrong. Otherwise, he wouldn't have hired an attorney. That is the bottom line. Am I wrong? A no turn on right designation is pretty clear.

Quote:
Why is it okay for some and not okay for others?
It isn't. It's only appropriate if there is ambiguity or innocence. Anything short is irresponsibility.

Quote:
It's not shame on him, it's shame on the County (Loudoun) that negotiated it down. He hired an attorney to represent him in court on his second day on a new job, where he felt taking off would have cost him far more than a ticket.
Yes, I agree, that it's also shame on the county system as well, that allows for such ridiculousness. The county is bent on getting their money. It's sad on that front too.

Quote:
Initial impressions on the job are everything - I think it's pretty mature he saw the importance, but he had also just moved to the area and had a clean driving record. He gave the attorney POA to handle the charges. He was just as surprised when he got the news of the change in charges.
Impressions are important, yes, I agree. However, the maturity breaks down in hiring an attorney to get your fine reduced. He could have just as simply accepted his wrong (which he knew it was), paid his fine, and started his new job without having to consider how he was going to be represented in court--simply because there was no real representation to be made. No attorney is needed to simply pay your fine.

Quote:
Are you always this quick to judge?
No, but the matters concerning this situation are pretty clear to me. You put your son's situation here on a public forum, so I'm letting you know publicly what I think about it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 PM

7,724 posts, read 18,524,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellington View Post
I personally think he was wrong to hire an attorney, because based on the situation, he was absolutely, 100% without question, in the wrong--and yet--he hired an attorney to fight his case for him. Why would he hire an attorney knowing that he broke the law and was guilty? Because he doesn't want to be responsible for his action, or rather, wants to be held responsible for it as little as possible (i.e. little consequence). Your son hired an attorney because he either wanted the fine reduced or completely written off. In short, he did not want to take full responsibility for his wrong. Otherwise, he wouldn't have hired an attorney. That is the bottom line. Am I wrong? A no turn on right designation is pretty clear.

It isn't. It's only appropriate if there is ambiguity or innocence. Anything short is irresponsibility.

Yes, I agree, that it's also shame on the county system as well, that allows for such ridiculousness. The county is bent on getting their money. It's sad on that front too.

Impressions are important, yes, I agree. However, the maturity breaks down in hiring an attorney to get your fine reduced. He could have just as simply accepted his wrong (which he knew it was), paid his fine, and started his new job without having to consider how he was going to be represented in court--simply because there was no real representation to be made. No attorney is needed to simply pay your fine.

No, but the matters concerning this situation are pretty clear to me. You put your son's situation here on a public forum, so I'm letting you know publicly what I think about it.
Absolutely, it's a public forum and everyone is entitled to opinions, even if judgmental.

So, if I am to follow your logic, anyone that breaks the law, should not hire an attorney and should immediately plead guilty. It sounds like you want your own version of the law, but far be it for me to judge.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
As one who has probably spent more time in the courtroom than anyone else here I can say with certainty that without lawyers present in the court the system would bog down. The vast majority of lawyers are there to secure some type of deal for their client. Some get good deals and some not so good. I've had lawyers come up to me and say they know their client needs to go to jail but they wanted to try and minimize the time if possible. Very few people actually go to trial. There were many lawyers I did not like but there were many who were decent people and some I consider friends.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM

61 posts, read 99,954 times
Quote:
Absolutely, it's a public forum and everyone is entitled to opinions, even if judgmental.
Please explain how I'm being judgmental. Your son is guilty and wanted as less of a punishment as possible. Correct? No ambiguity there. That's not a judgement stance, but rather a character flaw. So the original for shame comment remains justified.

Quote:
So, if I am to follow your logic, anyone that breaks the law, should not hire an attorney and should immediately plead guilty.
Ideally, yes, pay your fine. If you did it, pay it. That's the way of integrity, is it not?

Quote:
It sounds like you want your own version of the law, but far be it for me to judge.
My statements have nothing to do with changing laws or the system in place. I've called out your son's integrity based on the situational facts that you presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia