U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,839 times

Advertisements

I'm a Marine recently stationed at Quantico. I have new orders to the Dunn Loring/Merrifield area. My family has been in SD waiting for me to find a great elem. school for my daughter and an affordable, safe, friendly community for our family, but I am unfamiliar with the area. Can anyone please help me on where to start between Reston, Merrifield, Burke, Annandale, Vienna, Lincolnia, W and Falls Church, and McLean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM

100 posts, read 141,558 times
Start with Burke. We tried to move there but it just didnt work out. We ended up out in Ashburn. However Burke has some really good elementary schools and is a very military friendly community. If you are renting and find a place be sure to get on it FAST. They fly off the market.

As for the other areas you mentioned I found Reston to be hit or miss when it came to the elementary schools. I didnt research the other areas you mentioned so I cannot weigh in on those.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,546,199 times
What is your budget, and for what size home? That will help us determine a starting point.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM

5,283 posts, read 6,747,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What is your budget, and for what size home? That will help us determine a starting point.
The OP's subject mentions an "apt". I'm not sure how many apartments are in the Burke area. I can think of some.

CaliTerp is right. We could use a price range as to what is "affordable".

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM

2,423 posts, read 1,654,423 times
There are a lot of apartments in the Burke/Springfield area but I wouldnt necessarily recommend them as they arent in the MOST family friendly area.

Price range is huge. I think the OP could enjoy the Alexandria/Kingstown area if his price range is 1500 to 2000 for a 2 or 3 br. If his range is 1200 to 1500 he could probably find some apartments around the GMU area of Burke/Fairfax but ti will have to be at a most 2br

Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM

9,364 posts, read 15,774,506 times
Look into West Springfield as well, areas around Cardinal Forest and near Old Keene Mill & Rolling Roads have both apartment complexes and condos for rent. There are also townhouses in Cardinal Forest that might be within range, many of which have the ability for children to walk to school.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-24-2012, 06:02 PM

2,423 posts, read 1,654,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Look into West Springfield as well, areas around Cardinal Forest and near Old Keene Mill & Rolling Roads have both apartment complexes and condos for rent. There are also townhouses in Cardinal Forest that might be within range, many of which have the ability for children to walk to school.
I can attest to Cardinal Forest as being a very nice neighborhood and it is close to Keene Mill which is a very good elementary school within walking range and a middle school is right next door as well.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM

60 posts, read 58,949 times
First, thank you and your family for your service to this fine country! For school information, you may wish to consult Greatschools.com for school ratings based off the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL's). It also gives information on average demographics, classroom size, pupil expenditures, etc. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Thank you for the .com, I've been lookng for demographics. This should help my GF as well as she is a Teacher for Special Needs.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 AM

Default Price range and Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
You're all absolutely right. I tried to keep the message very basic, but I realize now the redundancy in wanting information when the question doesn't meet the Forum standard. I can afford up to $1600 for 2 bd x 2 ba (I know this isn't much for the area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia