U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 17,474 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching in Fairfax County for three years now, but I am growing tired of my commute. I live in Prince William County so that is why I am looking to teach there. I just do not know how to go about getting my name and information out there so that I have a real shot at a getting an interview for a position. Any advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,835,979 times
HR was a nightmare, when I applied there. They really drag their feet. Thought I was going to have to go sort faxes for them a few times. Avoid. You've made it three years, that's about a year longer than they average over there. Move closer to work.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,682,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Move closer to work.
I don't know the OP's situation, but that might be easier said than done. I commuted from PW and worked for FCPS for a long time before my family was able to afford to move closer to work.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,682,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdeezer View Post
I have been teaching in Fairfax County for three years now, but I am growing tired of my commute. I live in Prince William County so that is why I am looking to teach there. I just do not know how to go about getting my name and information out there so that I have a real shot at a getting an interview for a position. Any advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
Have you completed all of the online application process?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 17,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't know the OP's situation, but that might be easier said than done. I commuted from PW and worked for FCPS for a long time before my family was able to afford to move closer to work.
I bought my house about 6 months before I took my job in Fairfax, so moving is definitely not an option right now. As far as completing the online application process, I have applied to multiple positions and even received an email about a year ago, inviting me to interview with a panel of principals. I emailed and called multiple times, but never got a response for setting up an appointent time. I guess that should have been a sign for me.....

Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,134,907 times
Quote:
I bought my house about 6 months before I took my job in Fairfax, so moving is definitely not an option right now. As far as completing the online application process, I have applied to multiple positions and even received an email about a year ago, inviting me to interview with a panel of principals. I emailed and called multiple times, but never got a response for setting up an appointent time. I guess that should have been a sign for me.....

I know several people, over the past 3-5 years, that got teaching jobs in PWC and I never have heard from them that they had any trouble going through the process. But I suppose things can change. Is there anyway that you can keep at it? Can you continue to submit online.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,644,663 times
Quote:
My wife is going through the same process with PWCS. She has already been interviewed and we're just waiting to hear the results. She was able to get this far because she had direct contact with the principal at a career fair. Seems like that works for a lot of jobs where HR sits on their hands.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
My wife is going through the same process with PWCS. She has already been interviewed and we're just waiting to hear the results. She was able to get this far because she had direct contact with the principal at a career fair. Seems like that works for a lot of jobs where HR sits on their hands.
a reasonable assessment.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I guess that should have been a sign for me.....
I felt the same way, and when they did finally offer me a job; I had already started elsewhere. They were kind of arrogant about the whole thing and even encouraged me to ditch my new job with the City of Manassas, which would have been a huge mistake for a bus-driver....but not so sure about teachers because they seem to have lots of bad days over there, and subbing was a little more horrific than usual.
Now, I teach Math in Phoenix. Business is good.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM

89 posts, read 237,676 times
Did you e-mail the principals directly? When talking to different HR departments they all told me to e-mail the principals directly. Or maybe e-mail and then drop off your resume. My cousin just got a job as an elementary school teacher in PWC. She was working in Fredericksburg City, so I know they're currently hiring for the 2012-2013 school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia