U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM

254 posts, read 713,352 times

Advertisements

Hi! Pls. Help!!! My husband will be working in Front Royal, VA and we're thinking of moving to Winchester, VA. With a budget of 200-240K for a house, we're thinking of of maybe it would be better to move to West Virginia, like Inwood, where we saw some new houses for around $230K. We have an 11 year old child, so school is also one thing to consider. We heard that the schools in Front Royal are not that good so we're not even considering of moving there. Any input is really appreciated. We heard abt. the car tax, that we don't have to pay it if we live in West Virginia but it seems like the sales tax are a bit higher in West Virginia, so maybe it will even out in the end. The commute is one thing to consider, but I think everyone drives atleast 30 minutes or so to work anyway. We just have to get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,384,277 times
While it varies by locale, unless your driving a brand new Mercedes or two, the car tax in VA isn't likely to be as much as a couple hundred dollars. The sales tax on food in WVA is 5%. In VA, it's 2.5%. The general sales tax in WVA is 6%. In VA, it's 5%. Take 2.5% of what you expect to spend per year on food. Add 1% of what you expect to spend on other stuff. See if the total is more than a couple of hundred dollars...

Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM

71 posts, read 292,162 times
Inwood, Martinsburg, Winchester are all good places. If schools are truly a big issue, and WV is a possibility, then consider where new schools are being built. If they are building new schools there then just on the basis of them being new puts you a leg up over other schools as they have the most up to date technology and comforts for the kids. Don't forget to look south and east of Front Royal. You may find something good there as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,142,120 times
Just to be clear, Winchester and Front Royal, while located in the northern region of Virginia, are not part of "Northern Virginia", which is usually defined as the suburban part of Virginia near Washington, D.C. (Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, Loudoun, and Prince William).

I would recommend looking at the areas in West Virginia, perhaps even the Martinsburg area which would be only a thirty minute commute from Front Royal. The areas of West Virginia immediately west of Front Royal (Wardensville) are extremely rural. The panhandle area is more populated and would offer what you are looking for. The Winchester area is overpriced if you ask me. If you want to live in an area with more amenities and a more diverse population, look east at the Manassas area, which has some good schools in the Prince William County school district and would be a 45 minute reverse commute to Front Royal.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 AM

28 posts, read 66,881 times
The car tax and sales tax are immaterial, but I don't like the VA car tax as a matter of principle. Property tax on the other hand is very material. Virginia tends to have much much higher property taxes than West Virginia, so this is something to consider if you are planning on buying. Front Royal is out of the reach of the DC suburb of Northern Virginia, so you are lucky to work there as you will enjoy a lower cost of living.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,873,297 times
Charles Town is within reach of Rockville-Frederick on the MD side and Ashburn-Reston on the VA side. I would not commute much further in.

Front Royal to say Fair Lakes is a doable commute, or even anywhere in Northern VA if you can get a 5-2 shift.

Front Royal/Warren County is not what it was in 1988 when Avtex closed down.

Warren County schools get the same '4' on Great Schools that Frederick, Clarke, Winchester schools all get. This is based on SOL test scores. Plus, you've got several new schools: the two high schools opened in 2007, the middle school just renovated the lovely historic old high school this fall, one of the five elementary schools opened under 10 years ago, and another is due for a full renovation.

Warren County HS (serves the eastern part of the county): 6, 19% FRL
Handley HS: 5, 32% FRL
Skyline HS: 4, 27% FRL
James Wood HS: 5, 18% FRL
Clarke County HS: 5, 12% FRL
Millbrook HS: 4, 23% FRL
Sherando HS: 6, 19% FRL
Strasburg HS: 7, 20% FRL

Handley does have a much higher Challenge Index rating than Warren, 2.310 vs. 0.696.
Clarke's is much better but I understand their new school board is representing of a backlash against "make everyone take AP tests."
Frederick schools stopped being reported but were lower than Warren's scores back in 2006/07

Warren is also one of the few districts in the state of VA that are making AYP as a district.

VDOE :: News - Aug. 12, 2010 - Six out of 10 Virginia Schools Exceed NCLB Objectives

So I don't really see -- and of course I am biased as a proud 1993 graduate of Warren County -- where Warren County Public Schools are so horrid that they must be avoided at all costs.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,090,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Just to be clear, Winchester and Front Royal, while located in the northern region of Virginia, are not part of "Northern Virginia", which is usually defined as the suburban part of Virginia near Washington, D.C. (Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, Loudoun, and Prince William).

I would recommend looking at the areas in West Virginia, perhaps even the Martinsburg area which would be only a thirty minute commute from Front Royal. The areas of West Virginia immediately west of Front Royal (Wardensville) are extremely rural. The panhandle area is more populated and would offer what you are looking for. The Winchester area is overpriced if you ask me. If you want to live in an area with more amenities and a more diverse population, look east at the Manassas area, which has some good schools in the Prince William County school district and would be a 45 minute reverse commute to Front Royal.
This is not true. Martinsburg is 30 minutes from Winchester and thus 1 hour from Front Royal (plus, if there's an accident on I-81 (too often), the whole place shuts down thus making you late)! Winchester is far closer to Front Royal. You will find (almost) everything you need there. I can't say the same about Inwood.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,715,921 times
How long are you planning on staying? Till the kid is in college? If so, consider the advantages of being in Virginia for instate tuition at Va's superior (AFAICT) public university system. Also students from rural VA counties are said (well its said here in Fairfax, anyway) to be at an advantage in admissions to the VA publics.

I don't know the area well enough to suggest specifics. Wouldnt it make sense to live up the shenandoah valley somewhere? New Market or Luray? Or are those commutes too far, or the schools not good enough, or the towns too rustic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia