Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
It wasn't necessarily to discredit (unless of course that applies ), but it may show that the problem isn't with the job location, since NO location seems satisfactory -- which, as I pointed out, means something more complicated is going on with his/her life in which case it really isn't fair to subject the wife/husband and especially the children to another move, only to have him/her wanting to move again in a short time. Especially in the current economic situation where new jobs may be hard to come by.
I completely agree.

If there's ever a time in life to move around the country without solid job prospects, or to risk a good job for the undefined possibility of something better, it's your 20s. (Unless you're a perennial bachelor/bachelorette.) Or when you're retired.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post

I have to say I am quite amazed by people that will actually take the time to look up someone's many posts, in essence to discredit them.
Stalking? Nah, more like investigative journalism... and actually quite time efficient. Takes less than 30 seconds, usually--and I learned to do it years ago because it saves me a lot time writing a post that may not apply to a particular poster. Sometimes useful to discredit a post that seems a little eyebrow raising but more often it's just because someone's comment interested me and I want to know more about the person before posting a reply.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Stalking? Nah, more like investigative journalism... and actually quite time efficient. Takes less than 30 seconds, usually--and I learned to do it years ago because it saves me a lot time writing a post that may not apply to a particular poster. Sometimes useful to discredit a post that seems a little eyebrow raising but more often it's just because someone's comment interested me and I want to know more about the person before posting a reply.
So Caladium: Did you ever sell that Dodge Aries you were trying to unload back in '87? Because I'm in the market.

(Yeah, yeah--that predates the internets. Work with me here.)

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Getting back to the subject, people move in and out of the DC metro area every day. Everyone has a different idea of what creates quality of life. Ain't life grand that this country has a variety of towns to live in, so that most of us can find a place that feels right. For some it will be Nova, for others someplace else.

Nothing wrong with that--if everyone in the country wanted to live here think how bad the traffic would get. And rents would be even worse.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
So Caladium: Did you ever sell that Dodge Aries you were trying to unload back in '87? Because I'm in the market.

(Yeah, yeah--that predates the internets. Work with me here.)
LOL LOL you have to read more recently than that.... remember Normie's amazing delivery run in her Prius during Snowmageddon? After that we became fans of the hybrid. No Dodge's for us!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL you have to read more recently than that.... remember Normie's amazing delivery run in her Prius during Snowmageddon? After that we became fans of the hybrid. No Dodge's for us!
That predates my arrival here by about a year I think! Too bad. I had all that time indoors I could've killed bloviating here--and instead I spent it shoveling.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM

25 posts, read 23,573 times
do what your heart wants to do

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
do what your heart wants to do
Fantastic advice. We should all let our emotions dictate our decisions. To hell with paternal responsibilities. What doesn't kill them makes them stronger, right? What's the worst that can happen? Joblessness? Bankruptcy? Homelessness? Sleeping in the park near the CO state capitol next to heroin addicts? I smell an adventure!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times
OP, I've been where you are, packed up and moved, loved it (Puerto Rico), packed up moved again, hated it (NYC and DC), now THINKING/WANTING/PRAYING TO DO IT AGAIN I've left what some would consider AWESOME jobs for jobs I got the side-eye for even applying for...but here's the thing, I DON'T REGRET IT AT ALL. People can be very fatalistic when it comes to moving and changing jobs, but as long as YOU have researched your options and have a support system to help out if shizz hits the fan, then go for it. These types of decisions don't sit well with everyone and a lot of folks are down right scared ishtless about them. The key to leaving is 1. having savings (in case the job doesn't work out) 2. having a support system (family, really good friends, etc. who can help you in the off chance things fall flat) 3. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!! Do your due diligence to make sure the area you're moving to is a good fit for your family and your job prospects in that particular area are reasonable.

I don't know you or your situation, and it would be foolish of me or anyone to try and convince you, dis' you, or guilt you into staying some place you don't want to be, because clearly you don't want to be here, if you're playing with the idea of moving to Green Bay (j/k) LIFE IS SHORT. If you wanna try Denver...TRY DENVER. It might end up being the best decision you've ever made.

All the best of luck to you.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM

776 posts, read 1,063,184 times
no I dont think its stalker ish, It kind of impresses me that you took the time to try to figure me out and hopefully power that into possitive influence.

We are a married couple taht share this account, so that is why sometimes you see us refer to our husband or wife.

We have moved around a lot, 8 times since 2006. throughout this year you may notice i inquried a lot about other places. This is because we have had various opportunites to move to those locations but obviously have not yet. I am not bashing NOVA or DC, but as I stated before. We tried it in 2006, liked it, have now been back for the better part of 11 months and are realizing that it just isnt us anymore.

We are really simple people. We like to play outside with our children, take them on bike rides, go fishing, hiking, go bowling, baseball games, etc. We have lived in all climates so nothing is really a suprise to us. We just don't prefer the below zero temps and windchills like we had in Minnesota. We like the midwest feel and the common sense people seem to have there. people seem to treat people as they want to be treated just like the old addage goes. But out east it seems like peoplpe will beat you down to get the last snickers bar on the shelf at target if its on sale.....

I dont mind the cut-throat approach in the workforce. I believe Artyguy made sense when he referrenced work ethic, We were raised to work hard for things and usually it will pay off and you will be rewarded for a job well done. We arent worried about losing jobs in the future, we feel that we make smart decisions, we have avoided putting ourselves in debt other than if we buy a house, We dont really have any other loans other than a small car loan that we have the funds to pay off anytime we chose. We dont have anymore student loans or multiple credit cards, or extravigant toy purchases.

I will say that the job I would be leaving is federal job not a state job, my agency has never had a freeze and we continue to get our annaul increases. I dont mind my job at all. I get to telework one day a week and flex one day a week so i only go in 3 ten hour days a week. The coomute is about an hour each way and honestly it doesnt seem that i can make that much better even by moving closer in these days.

The Private sector job i pays almost the same but I believe I would be capped out or close already for the position which means limited movement in pay and even the promotion potential is limited unless I am willing to move again later (which is exactly what We don't want to do), The hours are standard M-F 8-5 type hours. The job is outside the metro on the south end of denver so I would have to commute downtown anymore, which means I could have very short commutes if I chose to live close to work.

But without rambling on about Denver I want to get back on point. Again this really isnt just about denver. I don't believe it to be a MId-Life Crisis even though it does appear to have the same symptoms, I think We are just lacking something in our life that we used to have. maybe the lack of friendships and family, maybe the slower lifestyle. We have toughed it through the last 6 years and everywhere we have moved is really the same. The only thing that changes is the weather. literally...

Usually at this 11 month mark every year our truck is packed and we are on our way somewhere. This time we are almost over that mark and feel that we can either stay and give it an honest effort and hope for the best. Take the bad with the good.... or keep trying new places in hopes of a brighter future. we understand the risks of leaving a stable job. But you hear it time and time again, we only live once..... so again, is it worth the risk to those that have done it?

I know that someday someone might look back and say "I wish we woudl have stayed.' But for every person that says that isnt there another that says " Im really glad we opted to do this, best decision ever...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia