U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM

664 posts, read 1,623,579 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if any of the local grocery store chain bakeries make cupcakes that are safe for those with nut/peanut allergies?

I want to bring cupcakes into the school for my son's birthday, last time I did, I bought cupcakes from Wegmans and didn't notice until I arrived that it said on the label something about nuts (I can't remember if it said "may contain..." or if it said "produced in the same facility as...").

I know there are children in my son's class with allergies, but due to privacy issues, I don't know which children, so I want to err on the side of caution and give out something safe for everyone...

thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 PM

303 posts, read 809,115 times
Whole Foods has some prepackaged cupcakes that are peanut/tree nut free. They're also dairy free and quite good. They're in the bakery section, but with all the prepackaged stuff like breads, not in the bakery cases.

Most people with peanut/tree nut allergies cannot eat the pastries baked in the in-house grocery bakeries, because the risk of cross-contamination in the bakery is too high. There are some specialty bakeries around here that are nut-free, but as far as I know, none of the grocery stores is. So I think prepackaged cupcakes are going to be your best bet (though I would love to be wrong!)

As the parent of a child with food allergies, THANK YOU very much for your kindness in trying to include all the children in the same treat. That is very thoughtful of you, and means a lot to the kids.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM

427 posts, read 975,090 times
Our kids' school directs us to Giant for cupcakes. They actually do have some that are labelled nut-free, but they're not always there, so you might want to call ahead. They're in the cooler with the decorated cakes.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM

664 posts, read 1,623,579 times
Thank you very much to both of you!

I will check with Giant first, as I have several closer than Whole Foods.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
My son has a peanut allergy and I can tell you that most store cupcakes are not "safe." Now, my son is 17, we personally questioned many of the baking facilities and, on a personal level, he will eat stuff from certain places; however, they will NEVER tell you that are nut-free because they cannot guarantee it. As a parent of a child with this allergy, we direct our son to never eat anything brought it because we cannot guarantee the safety. I think it's wonderful that you are attempting to accommodate the mystery child(ren); however, most likely they would not eat it anyway and have their own snacks on standby for such occasions.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,077,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think it's wonderful that you are attempting to accommodate the mystery child(ren); however, most likely they would not eat it anyway and have their own snacks on standby for such occasions.
Only about 1% of the population is allergic to nuts so there would likely not be an allergic child in the class. There are probably just as many who are allergic to the other things in the cupcakes like the gluten in the flour. I wouldn't go out of my way to look for nut free products. Only about 150 people a year die from nut reactions in the U.S., just slightly more than are killed by lightning (100). I'm sure the unusual kid who's allergic to them knows and the parents would have alerted the teacher to it. If the teacher's not aware of it I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Only about 1% of the population is allergic to nuts so there would likely not be an allergic child in the class.
You'd think that; however, all through school, there has always been at least one other peanut allergic student in his class with him. I *do* think the school makes an attempt to put them together, but even I was surprised that he was never the only one.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,557,151 times
Like others have mentioned, no one will ever guarantee that sort of thing from a bakery. To get around this issue, one year I brought Popsicles to my daughter's school for her birthday. But I also know the Whole foods sells little individually wrapped treats (like brownies) that are labeled "school safe." I never looked closely at them to see what they mean by that and I don't recall the brand. But I bet if you call or go to Whole Foods you could get more info.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,960,235 times
Joy Ferrara in Springfield makes beautiful and delicious nut-free cupcakes; I've had them several times:

Children

Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,697,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Only about 1% of the population is allergic to nuts so there would likely not be an allergic child in the class. There are probably just as many who are allergic to the other things in the cupcakes like the gluten in the flour. I wouldn't go out of my way to look for nut free products. Only about 150 people a year die from nut reactions in the U.S., just slightly more than are killed by lightning (100). I'm sure the unusual kid who's allergic to them knows and the parents would have alerted the teacher to it. If the teacher's not aware of it I wouldn't worry about it.
Well, I have 3 kids on my cul-de-sac, (non related) that are allergic. What are the odds in that happening. Two carry epi pens. The other has only had a minor reaction. Since they are in and out of all our houses, I have made sure I keep all snacks that have nuts out of reach. My daughter could care less if she has nuts or not, so gradually we just started getting stuff that I knew the other kids and mothers were comfortable with. No one asked me to, it just made sense.

She also has a child with a severe nut allergy in her class and ever since she started school has known someone that had to eat at the peanut free table.

I'm sure you meant no offense by the term "unusual kid" as I'm sure you meant that statistically, and I agree they know they have the allergy and most do keep snacks on hand for just such occasions, but it is really nice to be able to include all the kids in the class. Since they have to eat at another table anyway, it is nice to be included. I've seen them sit along the wall under the big sign "peanut free" away from their friends..its tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia