Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM

16 posts, read 23,151 times

Advertisements

I know the commute, where to live, schools, gets asked a lot, but just want to see what people who know this area better think of this situation. I'm a single mom renting in Ashburn and got a new job in northwest Rockville. The job hours are kind of odd, making the commute not too awful - 6:45am to 7:15pm - and only two days each week. However, I'm renting now so there's the option to move and rent closer to the job. Currently pay $1,750 for a T/H in Ashburn. Max price range is $2,100. Aside from the commute, reasons I would consider moving are that my daughter doesn't like the middle school here. We've only relocated to Ashburn a year ago and would not be giving up much in the way of a social network. She has one more year in middle school (8th grade), so I'm really looking at high schools in both locations. (Also not sure if it's better to finish middle school and then make a move, or be in place for the high school in last year of middle.) Even though she doesn't *like* school here socially, she's doing well, so it's an iffy call to make a change. And we only have five years to go before college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Don't you have other choices? Ashburn is seriously far from Rockville, but to my knowledge, Rockville has mediocre or worse schools. Have you looked at renting in Pimmitt Hills, Columbia Pike in S. Arlington, or maybe Kensington, MD? Or even Bethesda?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM

Thank you for your reply! I also posted this in the MD forum and am thinking of Bethesda. I would be open to farther out from from Rockville, or even closer in with a reverse commute, like an apartment in Bethesda. We used to live in nyc so we like seeing people walking out and about, a park where families go, bike trails, seeing people out with strollers.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
For what its worth, I have lived in this area for 3 decades, and I never liked bethesda until the past 5 years. They have come a long way, and that area is really nice now specifically near the walk shopping area. I still think other parts of MD have their problems, but I could see myself living in bethesda.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Since you're renting, I'd move closer to work. One thing to consider, though, is how certain you are that you'll be working in Rockville for a long time. It just seems like lately I know several people who have started new jobs and then 3-4 months into it they're moved to a new office on the other side of town.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Caladium, I thought about that, too, with job certainty/location being what it isn't these days. Since my Ashburn lease is not up til the end of August, I have a couple months to decide, see how the job is going, and scout around over in MD while I'm there for work anyway. But before school's out for the summer, I would like to see if I can go on a couple of school tours/visits. I might ultimately take the conservative approach and wait another year to make any move.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
If $2100 will get you a decent rental in Bethesda, it's hard for me to see a downside. Easy commute, good schools, shops and whatnot, easy access to NoVA and to DC. That said, I think you'd get more space for that money in White Flint or Grosvenor, but the schools may not be as good, and they're about to do some major redevelopment of those areas, which will be no fun to have outside your window.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
There are plenty of good schools in Rockville, especially near White Flint or Grosvenor, which is known as, ahem, North Bethesda.

Having said that, I think I'd wait one more year and see how the job plays out and let your daughter start fresh for high school. At high school so many kids don't know each other that I think it would be a relatively easy start compared to 8th grade. What does your daughter say?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
I would stay where you are for now. It's hard to move in middle school, but even harder to move twice in middle school, especially if there are major differences in curriculum. See how it goes with the job and commute, check out high school options. If you're thinking ahead to college, keep in mind that Virginia has more (and better-ranked) public college options than does Maryland.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I posted in the other forum but the OP said NW Rockville over there IIRC. I would suggest North Potomac, Fallsgrove, or the Kentlands as good choice right nearby. I live in that area so I know many of the families here. It will probably be a good fit. Bethesda / N. Bethesda would also be good, though more expensive, but the commute wouldn't be as good as the other area. The schools are very good on the West side of 270. I think you should move this year or next before High School. I just don't see any positive in commuting from Ashburn to Rockville. If it was a short term job, you shouldn't move, but if you're going to be there long term, then, yes, you should move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia