U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 12,818 times

Advertisements

We have narrowed our search down (renting) to Lake Ridge and Kingstowne, however Lake Ridge seems to be a bit more rental for your buck compared to Kingstowne. Schools are very important and we found a SF home in LR in a subdivision called Scarborough Singles (?). Seems like an established neighborhood and the home is updated nicely. I wonder are there "bad" sections to Lake Ridge? The school is Springwoods Elementary. We are still in Colorado so much of our search in online. We can't fly out until June but we need a July 1 move-in. We are finding that decent places go fast, and I am afraid of losing out once again on a good rental if we wait. I do know that a family is flying in to see this home this weekend......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM

5,317 posts, read 6,866,575 times
Some of these threads might help. I used the advanced search feature. Good luck!

Advice for buying in Lake Ridge? {Woodbridge.}
Montclair, Lake Ridge: HOAs and other Relocating Qs
Please help me with info..Safest subdivisions in P.W Co.
Comments on an area of Lakeridge
Lake Ridge...yes, another question about it
How is Lakeridge, woodbridge 22192 ?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM

4,220 posts, read 5,281,903 times
I know Lake Ridge like the back of my hand and I can't picture this development. Are you sure this is the name? Lake Ridge is a huge area with a few small less than desirable neighborhoods. Springwoods Elem seems to be a good school but my kids did not go there. Crime does exist in Lake Ridge but it by no means is a high crime area at all. Do you have a street name? That said. Where are you working? The drive from Lake Ridge to anywhere within the beltway will be miserable.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Arabian Place is the street name. Thanks! oh, and my husband will be commuting to Fort Belvoir.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 AM

4,220 posts, read 5,281,903 times
Arabian Place is a good quiet area. The calls for service with the PD were minimal here when I was with the PD. The commute to Ft. Belvoir will be a little tough but doable. Maybe he can leave extra early to miss the heavier traffic.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 AM

33 posts, read 24,615 times
We moved to Lake Ridge in September. We also moved to the Springwoods School are but are in a townhome community. I am still not super familiar with all the neighborhoods but all the single family home neighborhoods within Springwoods seem very nice. Springwoods Elementary is an excellent school. My kids are doing really well there. The teachers I've had experience with are great. The office staff are nice and the Principal seems to know all the kids names and cares to who are siblings and who their parents are, etc. The do expect a high standard of behavior from the students (no talking in hallways, etc), which I like. But my only complaint is sometimes I think they are too quick to hand out discipline (yellow/red on the behavior chart) sometimes without asking (what I think should be appropriate) questions. I have seen this happen personally in both the lunchroom and hallways. I have also heard that if you have a special needs child getting a detailed IEP (not just a generic) can be an uphill battle. But I have no experience with that. But so far we have been happy there. There is a preschool up the road that my littlest goes to the we also love, if you interested. HTH.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 AM

33 posts, read 24,615 times
Oh and my husband commutes to near Ft. Belvoir (Newington) and the commute can be bad coming home. He leaves at 4:30 and it usually takes just under an hour, it would only take about 20 minutes with no traffic. Sometimes if their is an accident or its a holiday weekend it has taken him over 2 hours to get home. In order for him to avoid traffic on the way home he would have to leave work before 2:45ish. After that there is no avoiding it.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,635,652 times
I live off of Springwoods Drive a little past Arabian Place.

My husband and I are really happy with the community. Our neighbors are pretty friendly as we'll say hi and wave and will make small talk if we're out in our yards at the same time. There are always children playing in the area as well as joggers and walkers. The properties are pretty well kept and the neighborhoods have an attractive appearance.

With the caveat that no area is 100% crime free, I feel very safe in this part of Lake Ridge.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM

7,963 posts, read 5,398,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesulit View Post
We have narrowed our search down (renting) to Lake Ridge and Kingstowne, however Lake Ridge seems to be a bit more rental for your buck compared to Kingstowne. Schools are very important and we found a SF home in LR in a subdivision called Scarborough Singles (?). Seems like an established neighborhood and the home is updated nicely. I wonder are there "bad" sections to Lake Ridge? The school is Springwoods Elementary. We are still in Colorado so much of our search in online. We can't fly out until June but we need a July 1 move-in. We are finding that decent places go fast, and I am afraid of losing out once again on a good rental if we wait. I do know that a family is flying in to see this home this weekend......
I'm a prospective buyer in Lake Ridge as well, but my wife and I also know a family that used to stay in this area on Brickert Place. They had nothing but good things to say about the area. As far as the schools, check out these sites on Springwoods. These sites will give you an idea of the test scores, demographics, FARM rates, etc.

Springwoods Elementary School, Woodbridge VA School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Springwoods Elementary School - Woodbridge, Virginia - VA - School overview

I've researched and noticed that Springwoods and Westridge Elementary Schools are arguably two of the best in Lake Ridge.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM

This is very helpful, thank you. My husband thinks he can avoid 95 to get to Belvoir, is this true or is it worse traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia