Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,192 times

Advertisements

I am 18 (turning 19 in 5 months) and have held my permit for over 11 months.
I can drive 50 miles alone without any problems. (I'm just a little scared of getting hit by someone)

I went to the DMV with my "drivers education" and my "learners permit" to take my "driving test".
I was told that the only way I could get a license is if a driver instructor requested one for me.
or... wait until I turn 19 (5months)

Could someone please make it clear to me about when I can get my provisional 90 days license and/or permanent drivers' license??
Thank you in advance
Lenin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,293,417 times
I checked this portion of the VA DMV website:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

These are the parts that apply to you:

Driver Education Requirements
If you are a Virginia resident under age 19, you must complete a state-approved driver education program and hold your Virginia learner's permit for at least nine months.

About Driver's Education
You will receive a driver education completion certificate when you successfully complete a driver education program. The driver education certificate of completion is considered part of the driver's license application. A copy of your certificate will be sent by your school instructor to DMV for issuance of a permanent driver's license.

Maybe your instructor did not send a copy of the certificate to the DMV. The only advice I can give is contact your instructor and request a copy of the certificate be sent to the DMV. Or wait until you're 19.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

270 posts, read 905,656 times
Only drivers under 18 have to go to court. Under 19 you still have to do the behind the wheel instruction at a driving school. You give your green driver's ed completion card to the behind the wheel instructor. You have to do 7 hours driving and seven hours observing with the instructor. Usually the last hour is your "driving test.". If you pass, because you are over 18 but under 19 the instructor should issue you a temporary license until the real one comes in the mail.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
Only drivers under 18 have to go to court. Under 19 you still have to do the behind the wheel instruction at a driving school. You give your green driver's ed completion card to the behind the wheel instructor. You have to do 7 hours driving and seven hours observing with the instructor. Usually the last hour is your "driving test.". If you pass, because you are over 18 but under 19 the instructor should issue you a temporary license until the real one comes in the mail.
Thank you for your help.
I checked some websites for behind the wheel in my area.
they all say:
teens: $250 full behind the wheel
Adulta: $50/hour

does that mean that I can just pay $50 for an hour and if I pass the instructor can issue a temporary license?
what does adult mean?

Thank you for your help.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,293,417 times
You will need to contact the different places to find out how many hours are needed to complete the course and receive a certificate. I suspect it would require more than an hour. Adult = 18+.

Edit: One random driving school website I pulled up said this: Must have 14 in car instruction periods (7 driving sessions and 7 observation sessions).

But call around to the places you looked up to find the best rate.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM

270 posts, read 905,656 times
Under 19 has to have 14 sesssions behind the wheel instruction. You have to buy the whole 14 hour package. 7 hours observing+ 7 hours driving. You can't just take the test. The max you can do is one driving hour and one observation at a time, so you are looking at 7 days minimum. Some schools will arrange 7 consecutive days, if that fits your schedule.

Once you hit 19, not 18, the rules change. Then the "adult" rules apply.

Last edited by kevbros; 05-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Omission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia