U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM

198 posts, read 311,353 times

Advertisements

We need to be in the Norfolk area (northwest of the city, maybe this is called the Hampton Roads area?) by about 3pm on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. What would be the best time to drive from Reston? We could leave anytime after 6:00pm on Friday night. (We're fine with the idea of paying for a hotel that night if it makes the trip with a small child easier since he would sleep the whole way if we do that.) Will traffic be better Friday night or Saturday morning?

Also, any suggestions for places to stay or things to do on the way or in that area (Richmond, Williamsburg, Norfolk, etc). We could also drive part way on Friday and the rest on Saturday. It would be nice to have something to do on Saturday for a few hours where we could walk around with the stroller or where my son could play a little bit.

Also, when's the best time to drive back on Monday (early morning, mid-day, evening)?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM

7,959 posts, read 9,705,072 times
Unfortunately, there is no good time. On Friday, it will be a nightmare trying to get out of DC on 95S. It will take you a long time to get past Fredericksburg, but after that, you should be fine.

On Satuday, you'll have beach traffic and tourists making the drive from Richmond to Norfolk miserable.

My reccomendation is to leave as EARLY as possible on Saturday morning, to try and avoid some of the beachcombers. Also, depending on where your final destination is, I would also reccomend foregoing 64E and taking 460E. You can catch it after Richmond, but it should be less crowded than 64.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Okay, thanks for the information. The idea of leaving EARLY on Saturday sounds totally painful to us as we are NOT morning people at all! I was afraid that might be the answer, though. I was hoping leaving late (like 8pm on Friday) might avoid the worst part of the rush out of DC.

I hadn't thought of the Richmond-to-Norfolk beachcombers, so thanks for that reminder.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,392,162 times
Since you're not morning people, I assume you're night owls and driving late night shouldn't be difficult. I suggest leaving just around 9pm-9:30pm. Traffic should be flowing by then and your little one will sleep the whole drive and will be ready to see the sights on Saturday (late) morning.

Now what to do about coming back....

Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM

448 posts, read 741,647 times
I am leaving early Friday morning!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I am leaving early Friday morning!
I would do that, but I don't deem this event worthy of my limited vacation time

Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM

23,635 posts, read 33,424,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
We need to be in the Norfolk area (northwest of the city, maybe this is called the Hampton Roads area?) by about 3pm on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. What would be the best time to drive from Reston? We could leave anytime after 6:00pm on Friday night. (We're fine with the idea of paying for a hotel that night if it makes the trip with a small child easier since he would sleep the whole way if we do that.) Will traffic be better Friday night or Saturday morning?

Also, any suggestions for places to stay or things to do on the way or in that area (Richmond, Williamsburg, Norfolk, etc). We could also drive part way on Friday and the rest on Saturday. It would be nice to have something to do on Saturday for a few hours where we could walk around with the stroller or where my son could play a little bit.

Also, when's the best time to drive back on Monday (early morning, mid-day, evening)?

Thanks for your help!
Would Amtrak be an option? I did a time from Alexandria to Newport News (right across the bridge from Norfolk) and you could leave Alexandria about 8am and be in Norfolk around 1-130. I did that option once going from Alexandria and Chesapeake on a Sunday and saved a lot of hassle.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM

384 posts, read 901,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post

Thanks for your help!
If you can, leave in the late evening on Friday or early (5 AM Sat.). Leave early morning on Monday.

If you want to go for a walk, you could park near Waterside in Norfolk and walk around the path there, go to Nauticus, USS Wisconsin, and have lunch.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,831,329 times
If you leave after 9pm Friday you should be fine; Saturday morning will be worse traffic wise and you'd have to wake up REALLY early. Coming back leaving Monday evening would be best (leave Norfolk after 6p or so).

Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,698,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
If you leave after 9pm Friday you should be fine; Saturday morning will be worse traffic wise and you'd have to wake up REALLY early. Coming back leaving Monday evening would be best (leave Norfolk after 6p or so).
I second that..everyone leaves early - unless you leave really, really early, which as you stated isn't going to happen. Stay there till at least 5:00. Last time I went was 8 hours on 95 that I will never get back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia