U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 PM

11 posts, read 12,827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

as I've mentioned earlier I am moving to NoVa area for work and settling more with an idea of living in McLean,VA (Tyson's corner to be exact).However, my roommate and I were so excited about out transition that we overlooked the fact that her gradschool will be in BALTIMORE!!! Is it realistic to drive to Baltimore in a morning 3 times a week? Is traffic as bad both ways as to DC? Do you think metro/amtrak combo can work out for her? If not, are there any areas kinda in between these two locations? Please share your thoughts with me. Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM

1,540 posts, read 3,981,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichalka View Post
Hi everyone,

as I've mentioned earlier I am moving to NoVa area for work and settling more with an idea of living in McLean,VA (Tyson's corner to be exact).However, my roommate and I were so excited about out transition that we overlooked the fact that her gradschool will be in BALTIMORE!!! Is it realistic to drive to Baltimore in a morning 3 times a week? Is traffic as bad both ways as to DC? Do you think metro/amtrak combo can work out for her? If not, are there any areas kinda in between these two locations? Please share your thoughts with me. Thanks alot.
3 days a week to Baltimore is definatly doable.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM

159 posts, read 226,746 times
If you leave the Tysons (Rt 7/495) area before 0700, it can put you near the downtown Baltimore exits (Russell St, 395) before 0800 assuming there is no major traffic delays on 495 inner loop. To be safe, I would leave around 0630. IMHO, getting home is a bit more problematic.

The MARC lines out of Union Station are viable options too.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:33 AM

7,964 posts, read 18,014,710 times
Where in Baltimore will your roommate be going to school? I know from recent experience that the University of Baltimore is walking distance from Penn Station there. Getting to Johns Hopkins, on the other hand, might be more complicated. It might not hurt to ask the folks over on the Baltimore forum as well.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,746,347 times
What hours? On weekdays, MARC commuter trains are cheaper than Amtrak, though the hours are more limited and I think there may be more trains coming to DC in the morning, returning in the evening (i.e., for those commuting TO Washington). MARC Train | Maryland Transit Administration Having to take Amtrak one or both ways could get expensive. Check www.amtrak.com

Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 12,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Where in Baltimore will your roommate be going to school? I know from recent experience that the University of Baltimore is walking distance from Penn Station there. Getting to Johns Hopkins, on the other hand, might be more complicated. It might not hurt to ask the folks over on the Baltimore forum as well.
University of Maryland and she also has a field placement in District Court of Baltimore City, I believe. It is 3 times a week, 8-5, tue, thr, sat.

If we move to Silver Spring, MD, will it mess up my commute to Tyson's 5-6 times a week? Or will it make more sense for her to drive to Baltimore since it is a reverse kinda traffic?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 AM

159 posts, read 226,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichalka View Post
University of Maryland and she also has a field placement in District Court of Baltimore City, I believe. It is 3 times a week, 8-5, tue, thr, sat.

If we move to Silver Spring, MD, will it mess up my commute to Tyson's 5-6 times a week? Or will it make more sense for her to drive to Baltimore since it is a reverse kinda traffic?
Reverse traffic? No, you are dealing with rush hours from two cities. A move to Silver Spring will help her at the expense of you. The MARC train is an option for her weekdays then she can drive on Sat. UMAB is blocks from Camden Yards.

Her getting home could be a 2 hr ride to Tyson's if she drives on weekdays.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 AM

301 posts, read 583,897 times
That's going to be a haul for your roommate. I don't think I'd want that commute 3 days/week (though she doesn't have to worry about traffic on Sat at least). I can't speak to the metro/train idea as I've never used it to head out towards Balto, but my guess is that it would be fairly expensive and time consuming...I'd probably rule it out.

That means you can do one of two things: 1)live in an area that's close to your work or her school (so either Balto or Tysons...I'd personally choose Tysons); or 2)live somewhere in the middle. Without looking at a map, I think the middle would probably be the Silver Spring/College Park area as you mentioned earlier.

I don't think the commute from Silver Spring to Tysons would be bad in the morning, but it probably won't be too good in the evening. The more I think about it, your best bet might be to live in Bethesda. It's a little closer to Tysons (compared to Silver Spring) to help with your commute since you have to do it 5 days/week and your friend only has to do it 3 days/week (with one of those days being a Saturday). It's a nice area and also has an urban feel to it (similar to Arlington).

Before my wife and I got married a few years ago, she lived in Bethesda. I worked in Tysons at that time and would stay at her place one or two nights per week. Driving to work in the morning was a breeze...driving to her place after work definitely had more traffic...it was really hit or miss. Take a look at The Promenade...this is where my wife used to live. It's a nice high-rise community that's safe (gated community with security guard check-in) and convenient w/ its proximity to the beltway and to downtown Bethesda. They also offer free shuttle service to the metro and rent is reasonable there from what I remember. The first couple of years my wife lived there, she worked in Reston...so commuting to Tysons is definitely not a big deal.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,746,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
That's going to be a haul for your roommate. I don't think I'd want that commute 3 days/week (though she doesn't have to worry about traffic on Sat at least). I can't speak to the metro/train idea as I've never used it to head out towards Balto, but my guess is that it would be fairly expensive and time consuming...I'd probably rule it out.

$6 each way but there are also monthly passes. MARC's Web sites shows schedules. Of course, she'd first need to get to the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or