Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:39 AM

12 posts, read 29,805 times

Advertisements

Hi Forum People,

I am trying to figure out why houses in Manassas are so much cheaper than similar (or seemlingly less nice) houses in nearby Clifton or Fairfax Station. What's the deal with Manassas?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

VT girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 AM

265 posts, read 948,644 times
Overall Fairfax County home prices are higher than Prince William due to the distance from the major employment areas.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 AM

9,763 posts, read 15,699,194 times
And the schools. Don't forget that. All else being equal, schools that have higher test scores have higher property values homes in their pyramid. Manassas schools do not have as good reputation as those in Fairfax Station or Clifton. And the crime rate is also higher in Manassas. Overall, Manassas is a lower-income area with a less-educated population than Clifton and Fairfax Station.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

265 posts, read 948,644 times
Crime is spotty no matter where you go whether it be in Prince William County or Fairfax. Prince William Crime statistics are showing a decline. http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/14339.pdf Manassas is a huge area. Most people that think of Manassas only think of the area surrounding Sudley Rd however it goes far beyond that to neighborhoods with over 1 acres of land off of Hoadly Rd and almost to Dumfries. Prince William County Schools are still great and many have earned the Schools of Excellence awards..

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,463,201 times
There are very nice homes in Manassas. You just have to look in the right places. Certain areas are "bad", but most towns are like this no matter what the income level. When we were house hunting, we found 7 or 8 lovely homes in Manassas. All had the same general price, and I think it has to do with being farther from DC. I love it in Manassas, so much to do, and it's only a 10-15 min drive to Fairfax or other towns.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM

487 posts, read 1,354,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Overall, Manassas is a lower-income area with a less-educated population than Clifton and Fairfax Station.
What?

We are less edumecated?
Dang

And Low income too.

I suggest all you smart high income people stay away from Manassas.
Because the VRE is crowded enough as it is.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,838,366 times
I love Manassas as well. I do have to commute further to work but Manassas is so convenient for other things. People do think of Manassas as just off 234....Manassas has very beautiful areas where you don't even know you're in suburbia.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,044,081 times
The OP wanted to know why Manassas was less expensive than Clifton and Fairfax Station, and the answers that were provided surely account for much of that.

I will say that Old Town Manassas has way more of a bona fide "small town" feel than places in Fairfax like Clifton (tiny), Fairfax Station (uber-suburban) or Vienna (mostly strip malls).

Last edited by JD984; 05-19-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 15,699,194 times
I didn't say Manassas was a "low-income" area. I said it was a "lower-income" area than Clifton and Fairfax Station, which it is. Vienna is a lower-income area than McLean, but it doesn't mean Vienna is low-income. Please do not put words in my mouth that I did not say.

And I didn't say there aren't smart people in Manassas. I said it is less educated, which it is. According to city-data, Manassas' adult population shows that 81% have a high school diploma, 28% have a bachelors, and 10% have a graduate degree. I could not find specific data for Fairfax Station. But Burke shows 94% with a h.s. diploma, 51% with a bachelors, and 27% with a graduate degree. Clifton shows 96% with a h.s. diploma, 55% with a bachelors, and 25% with a graduate degree.

The OP asked for help understanding the three areas in question and why property values are lower in Manassas. I answered her with differences among the three areas based on statistics from this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
What?

We are less edumecated?
Dang

And Low income too.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM

298 posts, read 678,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
What?

We are less edumecated?
Dang

And Low income too.

Don't take it personally! I suspect michgc was just quoting comparative statistics -- i.e., "less" and "lower," not "un-" and "low." Obviously, Manassas is not "low" income or "uneducated." Like everywhere else around here, it's mostly populated with overachievers.

FWIW to km41 -- Fairfax Station and Clifton have beautiful neighborhoods. Both are too far away for me to consider them, but I love driving through them. Manassas has some good areas and some bad areas. We have friends who live there, in a beautiful home in a new-ish neighborhood. Their house is a lot larger than ours, but we're inside the Beltway and that's the tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia