Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
how do you make 85k out of college with no experience? SMH
I don't believe it was ever stated what the job was. This isn't the right area of the country for this, but high-skill jobs like petroleum engineering make that sort of money right off the bat, especially when combined with a limited pool of qualified applicants. I don't know what LADevil does in this area to start off like that, but more power to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM

30 posts, read 61,754 times
Quote:
In demand skills.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
I'm confused about a few things - first, 85K sounds like a lot to me. Maybe your apt search would be easier if you upped the amount? That's not that much around here. But if you can't, what I wonder is, why do you think you will want to go to DC that often? If it's just for entertainment, there is plenty of nightlife in VA that does not require a metro. I lived here in my 20's also, and almost never went to DC for fun. In fact, I think sometimes when I lived in DC I came over here. But if you are sure you are going there, then you can just drive to a metro. If it's not during work hours, parking shouldn't be a problem. That would also expand your search a lot, and maybe allow you to stick near Reston. Reston Town Center has many condos for rent and a lot of young people live there. Having said that, I do know a few people who live in DC and commute to VA (Reston area) for work, and they don't seem to mind. It's against the flow of traffic.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,837 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'm confused about a few things - first, 85K sounds like a lot to me. Maybe your apt search would be easier if you upped the amount? That's not that much around here. But if you can't, what I wonder is, why do you think you will want to go to DC that often? If it's just for entertainment, there is plenty of nightlife in VA that does not require a metro. I lived here in my 20's also, and almost never went to DC for fun. In fact, I think sometimes when I lived in DC I came over here. But if you are sure you are going there, then you can just drive to a metro. If it's not during work hours, parking shouldn't be a problem. That would also expand your search a lot, and maybe allow you to stick near Reston. Reston Town Center has many condos for rent and a lot of young people live there. Having said that, I do know a few people who live in DC and commute to VA (Reston area) for work, and they don't seem to mind. It's against the flow of traffic.
Wow, didn't realize my salary would be the focal point of the conversation.

GMUAlum: I don't know how to take your "SMH" comment, but just because I'm fresh out of college doesn't mean I have no experience. Double majoring in 4 years while spending a year abroad studying and working in the Middle East with 4 internships in the law enforcement/intelligence field is how I got offered 85k "with no experience." As someone previously posted, I gave myself a diversity of in-demand skills, including a foreign language, and worked hard throughout college. Fortunately someone saw some value in the skills I offer. Am I worth 85k a year? Probably not. But if that's what the market dictates, than so be it.

Anyways, for all those who are curios: I ended up compromising location and price. I realized a friend of mine had also received a job in D.C., so we decided to get a 2br apartment near the Ballston Metro station in Arlington. I'm paying about $1400 + utilities, but it's a block away from the metro and gives me good access to the freeway out to Reston. Thank you to everyone who provided input, it really helped a lot.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM

448 posts, read 870,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADevil View Post
I'm paying about $1400 + utilities, but it's a block away from the metro and gives me good access to the freeway out to Reston. Thank you to everyone who provided input, it really helped a lot.
Just FYI, you got an excellent deal in a good location for a young, single person. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 PM

17 posts, read 30,868 times
Quote:
we decided to get a 2br apartment near the Ballston Metro station in Arlington.
As a twenty-something young professional, Ballston is a good choice! You'll have plenty of places to go out around there, Clarendon is close, as is the metro! Have fun!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Great work! Fun and affordable and within easy reach of both work and the city. Couldn't have turned out much better.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM

117 posts, read 233,323 times
Quote:
Am I worth 85k a year? Probably not. But if that's what the market dictates, than so be it.
If an employer is voluntarily paying you 85k, that makes you worth it. Congratulations!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Quote:
That was my first thought too. My how starting salaries have changed! Good for him though.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Wow, didn't realize my salary would be the focal point of the conversation.

GMUAlum: I don't know how to take your "SMH" comment...
It doesn't matter what other folks think about your salary. Most are jealous that they were not in the same position at the same age.

Congrats on the new spot. Trust me, when you look back at the thread and see where some folks were recommending you live, you will be happy that you are in Arlington. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia