Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,822 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a student who is back home in Leesburg with my family for the summer. I'm supposed to start an internship in DC sometime in the next month or so and I don't have a car.

Therefore I'm stuck wondering about how I can do a 2 day a week commute from Leesburg into DC which is very difficult to begin with. Although, I can just take one of the various commuter buses from Loudoun to the W/Fall's Church Metro station. However, my problem is with the fact that the commuter buse's back towards Loudoun county seem to stop running around 8:00 PM. I would be commuting home around 9:00-10:00 that night.

Does anyone know of any cost reasonable alternative or know of commuter buses that run later then 8 to Leesburg?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
I think you're screwed. I don't know of anything that's out there besides the bus...

This is another reason why I'm for the Silver Line coming here. At least we'd have more options for when the buses close.

Do you have a friend who can maybe pick you up or meet you?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I think you're screwed. I don't know of anything that's out there besides the bus...

This is another reason why I'm for the Silver Line coming here. At least we'd have more options for when the buses close.

I have mixed feelings about the Silver Line,

However, I can tell you in Fairfax the commuter buses from the Metro run until midnight during the workweek. Idk why we can't have that in Loudoun esp. since alot of people(like me) are still heading home until around 10:30 or so.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
That's a reason why I'm for the Metro here and my roommate is too...the buses here shut down way too early. My roommate rides on the commuter buses in Ashburn and he cant stay at work late because the buses shut down so early...it's a PITA. He commutes to DC via the bus and he can't stay later than like 8 or 9 because he'll have no ride home.

Maybe take a Fairfax Connection bus to Herndon and have your parents get you from there? That's a good solution.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,782 times
The 5A bus would get you to Dulles-

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf

Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You might also look for a rideshare to see if you could find someone headed somewhere near Leesburg, where you could be met by a family member. The only other thing I would think to recommend is the MARC train from Union Station to Point of Rocks, if you had someone who could meet you there. I think the last MARC train leaves Union Station around 7, so that might be too early.

Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Carpooling

Camden and Brunswick Lines - - Maryland Transit Administration

If you were to take the 5A to the airport, and not have a ride meet you, cab fare would be ~$40 +tip from the airport to Leesburg. It could actually be cheaper to rent a car, if you were to use Hotwire, take the car home, and then drop off the next morning on your way to catch the 5A bus. Although, you would likely have to pay a fee for an under 25 year-old driver, which would make the cab less expensive. Maybe you could find a carpool from the airport, or perhaps from DC?

The 5A Metrobus would be easiest if you have someone who could meet you at the airport, since it's not a bad drive from the airport, though I would imagine the bus might be a bit slow. The Washington Flyer Bus from West Falls Church is another option, but $10/each way, or $18/round trip to the airport.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

How would the Silver line help the OP? It's nowhere near Leesburg.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
How would the Silver line help the OP? It's nowhere near Leesburg.
Be easier to get someone to pick him up from Ashburn than from Vienna.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
There is a bus: Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Routes, Fares & Schedules

Edit - oh, now I see the time problem - sorry! Well, you could try the commuter connections program: http://www.mwcog.org/commuter2/

Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
I might see about buying a car now and selling it again in the Fall. If it runs and seems likely to for the next several months or so, you might be on to something. You might even end up with a profit on the deal, as you'd be selling into a stream of students returning to this area and potentially looking to acquire cheap, functional transportation for the school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia