U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM

33 posts, read 22,712 times

Advertisements

I wonder what this means for the Regal across the street at Countryside.

DULLES TOWN CENTER TO OPEN
STATE-OF-THE-ART REGAL 10-SCREEN CINEMA

We are excited to announce that Regal Entertainment Group, has signed an agreement to open a 10-screen state of the art cinema at Dulles Town Center. The theater will contain approximately 2,000 stadium seats, and all-digital projection for 10 screens including a giant screen presentation called the Regal Premium Experience. Groundbreaking is scheduled for later this year, with a planned opening in 2013.
The theater box office will be located adjacent to a new mall entrance that will open next year. The mall will be open during the entire construction process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM

222 posts, read 320,924 times
One of those screens in that theater better be an imax......

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,555,575 times
does this mean we're going BACK to mall movie theaters? It seemed like we had moved away from that for a while.

You're right, that might mean the end of Countryside.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM

714 posts, read 636,407 times
I would assume they would close the Countryside location. Since they're both Regal, at least it won't be a competitive battle with one eventually dying a slow, pitiful death.

A shame, though, as I usually try to avoid malls due to the crowded parking and such. I like the movie theater being away from the mall. And we JUST moved to Sterling, so we'd better try to get to the Regal before it gets shut down for the new one!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 AM

194 posts, read 191,730 times
The cOuntryside Regal is pretty beat up anyway.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM

3,983 posts, read 2,954,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The cOuntryside Regal is pretty beat up anyway.
They just finished a lot of renovations on that theater. Why renovate, if you are just going to close down?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 AM

27 posts, read 61,079 times
Interesting. When the mall opened in 1999 there were plans for a movie theater, but that obviously never became a reality, until now I suppose.

Now, if I can ever figure out if the BP station that's had a sign on site for years is ever going to open...

At any rate, good for Dulles Town Center. I frequent the mall and always like to see new business there.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM

443 posts, read 558,416 times
Five years ago, Regal at Country Side was the only mainstream theater Loudoun had. (Tally Ho in Leesburg is a small and charming historical theater and only has two screens.) Then Brambleton built FOX Cinima, which was later purchased by Regal. Village of Leesburg just opened a Cobbs Theater. One Loudoun will open an Almo theater. Dulles Town Center announced the new Regal theater. Loudoun seems to have too many theaters, esp. Almo, the old Regal and the new Regal are really close to each other. I hope Western Loudoun county has a movie theater some day.

Last edited by newnewsmama; 05-25-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,555,575 times
I didn't realize DTC was that new. We didn't move out this way until 2003.

We've been to Countryside many times. I thought it was one of the nicer theaters that we have been to in this area. It certainly had more movie selections than some of the others. I could usually see some of the less mainstream movies there - the non-blockbusters.

Not like we get out to movies much anymore...

Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,638,857 times
I wouldn't mind seeing the Countryside Regal turned into some other sort of entertainment venue. A place to hear local music would be nice. A comedy club, maybe. Or, they could specialize in art movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia