U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
 
114 posts, read 134,364 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

I never been to this places. I have 2 kids 10 and 4. Which is the best location to visit for 2 days? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
460 posts, read 871,192 times
Reputation: 255
When are you going? Where are you coming from?

I'd vote Virginia beach or Outer banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Reputation: 6457
This is going to be personal preference. Both beaches will be great for kids. Plenty to do.

I prefer OC/MD because it is more "contained". I like the walkability of it and the smallness of it compared to VA Beach.

VA Beach is much more spread out, has real people living there all year round and feels much less like a summer beach town to me. That's not a negative thing in anyway--just my preference.

OC/MD gets a very high influx of people Pennsylvania and New York so it always amazes me that it kind of has a different population "vibe" to it than NoVA has. VA Beach gets more of a Virginia crowd. Not necessarily a NoVA crowd (I swear they all go to the Outer Banks).

Anyway, I don't think you will go wrong with either choice. I would look to see which one will give you the easiest ride and best accommodations for the money. Then try the other beach on the next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
460 posts, read 871,192 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is going to be personal preference. Both beaches will be great for kids. Plenty to do.

I prefer OC/MD because it is more "contained". I like the walkability of it and the smallness of it compared to VA Beach.

VA Beach is much more spread out, has real people living there all year round and feels much less like a summer beach town to me. That's not a negative thing in anyway--just my preference.

OC/MD gets a very high influx of people Pennsylvania and New York so it always amazes me that it kind of has a different population "vibe" to it than NoVA has. VA Beach gets more of a Virginia crowd. Not necessarily a NoVA crowd (I swear they all go to the Outer Banks).

Anyway, I don't think you will go wrong with either choice. I would look to see which one will give you the easiest ride and best accommodations for the money. Then try the other beach on the next trip.


I agree you can't really go wrong especially if it's only for a couple of days. But the reason I ask "when" she plans on going is because of the whole "senior week" stuff that goes on bigger in Ocean City.... also my personal preference... I wouldn't want to have to explain to my kids what drunk idiots are running around doing and saying, haha. not always, but there are a couple of weeks that are worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Reputation: 6457
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I agree you can't really go wrong especially if it's only for a couple of days. But the reason I ask "when" she plans on going is because of the whole "senior week" stuff that goes on bigger in Ocean City.... also my personal preference... I wouldn't want to have to explain to my kids what drunk idiots are running around doing and saying, haha. not always, but there are a couple of weeks that are worse.

I thought they had really cracked down on senior week there. At least my cousin tells me so because she's there all the time. Very few places there, anymore, will rent to the under-25 crowd. My own daughter had to spend senior week in Myrtle Beach because they were much more accommodating to younger folks. OC has actually become pretty tight when it comes to youths/teens/and wild parties. You can hardly have that kind of fun there anymore. They are working hard to keep the family desirability going. But, as I said, I haven't been there during that week. Water is WAY too cold for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
460 posts, read 871,192 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I thought they had really cracked down on senior week there. At least my cousin tells me so because she's there all the time. Very few places there, anymore, will rent to the under-25 crowd. My own daughter had to spend senior week in Myrtle Beach because they were much more accommodating to younger folks. OC has actually become pretty tight when it comes to youths/teens/and wild parties. You can hardly have that kind of fun there anymore. They are working hard to keep the family desirability going. But, as I said, I haven't been there during that week. Water is WAY too cold for me.
You could be right! I haven't been in the past two or so years because, it just wasn't very fun with that crowd haha. Extra dirty - but you could be right that they are cracking down on it more. I guess the OP would have to do a little more research to find out.

And I agree if I go that early... it's just to lay on the beach.. not in the freezing water haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
 
531 posts, read 1,204,741 times
Reputation: 282
OC is slightly more upscale than VB. VB has a concrete boardwalk. OC has a wood boardwalk that is a lot longer. If you go to VB, you can stop by Williamsburg for some fun at the theme parks or Colonial Williamsburg. OC has more good restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM
 
270 posts, read 801,399 times
Reputation: 172
With kids your age, I'd say OC for sure. When they are older VA Beach. At least that's what my teens recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 3,400,674 times
Reputation: 734
Hmm... if you're from the Northeast and thoroughly familiar/comfortable with the 'boardwalk' culture, warts and all, either would probably work. (OC was a big culture shock to my non-NE-native family about twenty years ago. If I went back today, I'd be sure to get some warm, freshly-made cotton candy, as that would make up for any of the area's shortcomings. ) I do think OC has 'improved' since we were there, though, as has Rehoboth, Deleware (our other Atlantic beach destination - I recall it as sort of a quieter OC).

A lot of people seem to like Cape May, NJ - based on my limited knowledge, it seems to be a little more upscale (from a tourist's point of view.. obviously, there would be wealthy locals in all three locales) than the other two.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 05-25-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 05:20 PM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Reputation: 6457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Hmm... if you're from the Northeast and thoroughly familiar/comfortable with the 'boardwalk' culture, warts and all, either would probably work. (OC was a big culture shock to my non-NE-native family about twenty years ago. If I went back today, I'd be sure to get some warm, freshly-made cotton candy, as that would make up for any of the area's shortcomings. ) I do think OC has 'improved' since we were there, though, as has Rehoboth, Deleware (our other Atlantic beach destination - I recall it as sort of a quieter OC).

A lot of people seem to like Cape May, NJ - based on my limited knowledge, it seems to be a little more upscale (from a tourist's point of view.. obviously, there would be wealthy locals in all three locales) than the other two.

Cape May, NJ is more upscale but not necessarily a favorite for young children. While most little kids love the beach, they really do love the whole boardwalk, rides, cotton candy, t-shirt shop, shell store scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top