Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,824 times

Advertisements

Was over at a friends house the other day and he basically told me that there's some kind of regulation that prevents people from having basements in his area. He lives around the intersection of Glebe rd and lee hwy. Something about the high water table. I thought this was one of the highest points of Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM

111 posts, read 315,175 times
My old house had a basement off Lee Hwy and Kirkwood.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
A friend's house at the corner of Glebe and 15th has a basement--quite a big one too. He rented the basement room and it had super tall ceilings.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I'm sitting in the basement right now. Our old house (also in Arl--about two blocks from CaliTerp's friend!) also had a basement, as does my sister-in-law's house.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Not sure if this relates, but in Addison Heights and apparently some other neighborhoods, and possibly in the area of your friend's house, I was told there were some underground springs that interfered with construction when the homes were built ~ 1940s. However, these apparently are very localized such that you may see no basements on three or four nearby streets, then on the fifth, basements are constructed. I was also told there are also some issues in some parts of Alexandria near the river that prohibited construction of basements, but that wouldn't apply to the location you described.

I don't know if any of this is true.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Slab and crawl-space construction are faster and cheaper than putting in a basement. Like the old quonset hut buildings on The Mall, some of the housing in Arlington was built in rush-rush mode to meet the needs of a huge influx of government workers during WWII. And wouldn't you know it, these folks didn't leave once the war was over. They stayed and put down roots and then a new wave followed them in and did the same. Some of that war- and post-war era construction is apt to be still around. And it isn't just water that can rule out a basement. A nice slab of solid rock near the surface will be enough to do that, and as the palisades suggest, there are areas closer to the river where rock is a definite possibility. Out in Fairfax, there are areas that sit above a sheet of nearly-as-hard-as-concrete hardpan clay. In the 1950's, the well-to-do lived in Arlington or maybe McLean. Only the lower income folks lived in what would later become outside-the-Beltway country. A lot of crawl-space homes were built out that way at the time as well simply in order to keep costs down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia