U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM

144 posts, read 295,370 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Hubby and I are going to go a little farther out to get in a cheaper place. Looking to move to an apartment complex at first and then by the end of next year purchase a home. I haven't actually lived in Manassas since the 90's and early 2000's.

Has the area improved at all? I know the traffic out there has gotten worse over the years but I remember there being a stigma on certain areas of Manassas.

I am looking at the following apartment complexes: Rosemary Ridge, Mason's Keep, Raven's Crest and Chatsworth Park. Anybody have any experience with any of those? Recommend one above the rest?

We're currently paying 2460 for our apartment and want to get the price down to like 1300 or so. I work in Springfield and I really don't want a horrible commute but Manassas seemed a better option than Ashburn/Leesburg.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
Hi guys,

Hubby and I are going to go a little farther out to get in a cheaper place. Looking to move to an apartment complex at first and then by the end of next year purchase a home. I haven't actually lived in Manassas since the 90's and early 2000's.

Has the area improved at all? I know the traffic out there has gotten worse over the years but I remember there being a stigma on certain areas of Manassas.

I am looking at the following apartment complexes: Rosemary Ridge, Mason's Keep, Raven's Crest and Chatsworth Park. Anybody have any experience with any of those? Recommend one above the rest?

We're currently paying 2460 for our apartment and want to get the price down to like 1300 or so. I work in Springfield and I really don't want a horrible commute but Manassas seemed a better option than Ashburn/Leesburg.

Thanks!
Look closer towards the government center. There are some newer apartments/townhomes for rent in about that range (I think 1500ish for the townhomes). What that does is allow you to use Yates Ford and Henderson road to cross into fairfax which is infinitely better than 66 to braddock. Also that part of PWC in my opinion atleast is a bit nicer than the 234 region, though chatsworth isn't an awful location (get used to train noises).

To springfield from that part of PWC I would venture it would be about 25 minutes to springfield on those back roads and using lee chapel (depending on what part of springfield you are trying to get to it might be better to use 123 or rolling road).

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,826,558 times
but remember, Rolling/OKM to Braddock/Backlick alone is 25 minutes during rush hour.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM

I usually go in early and leave early.... right now I just shoot up fairfax county parkway and it takes me about 30 minutes. So, I shouldn't be in the main rush hour traffic. I'm usually 7:30 to 3:30.

My job is literally right off the franconia springfield parkway just after frontier drive behind the metro.

I found another property South Main Commons which appears to be on the Wellington side of Manassas... does anyone know if that place is income restricted? Battery Heights also looked interesting to me as well.

Last edited by AmyinNOVA; 05-29-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,826,558 times
Battery Heights is decent, working class condos. They were selling for 70K a few years ago. 30 traffic lights to Springfield Metro.......doesn't make sense to me. I would look in Newington or Kingstowne...and if it is still to expensive go over to the Edsal Rd./Van Dorn St. area...no better/worse than Manass., but it would be a more sensible commute. That cut through is treacherous with any snow or ice, at all.....

Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM

2,694 posts, read 6,248,703 times
My buddy and his wife rent an apartment in Kingstown for $1600. Not as cheap as the Manassas places, but much much closer to your job.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm not interested in moving to Kingstowne/Arlington/Alexandria/Newington or the like... really don't like the area.

We plan on buying a house in Manassas, so the apartment is just temporary till we save up enough for a down payment. The commute is secondary on my list.

I think I've narrowed it down to Mason's Keepe or Wellington Place but not sure yet. So, if anybody else has any feedback specific to Manassas apartments I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM

115 posts, read 164,295 times
Try The City Center in Manassas Park.
I live here now and you can get that D.C./Arlington Feel without paying the price tag for it.

The aprtments are only 3-4 years old I think. Me and my wife pay $1190 for a one bedroom.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM

487 posts, read 1,210,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks!
People who live in Manassas are universally tall, well-built, attractive, intelligent, and well mannered.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM

404 posts, read 1,004,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucas001 View Post
Try The City Center in Manassas Park.
I live here now and you can get that D.C./Arlington Feel without paying the price tag for it.

The aprtments are only 3-4 years old I think. Me and my wife pay $1190 for a one bedroom.
Those are nice new apartments but it's not DC or Arlington. Those are probably the nicest apartments in the area, but the rest of the immediate surrounding area leaves little to be desired. My girlfriends sister lives in those apartments and those storefronts for the "city center" have yet to be rented out since she's live there over a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia