U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM

1,542 posts, read 4,001,342 times

Advertisements

Hey friends, I just purchased my condo 6 months ago, even though it is bad timing I have been offered a position at work in the Charlottesville area. This would be ideal for me for many reasons. I was told that if I took the job I could eventually move back to Nova one day as there will always be needs here within the company. I have throughly enjoyed my 3 and a half years in Nova but feel that the pros of being closer to family and friends (they live in Richmond and Roanoke) will outweight the neg. I am not concerned about renting out my place but wonder which of the two would be smarter? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM

837 posts, read 1,617,131 times
Rent it. Four reasons: 1) You are moving to a lower COL and can probably afford to do so 2) Someone else will pay your mortgage while you bank the asset appreciation 3) If you get accustomed to treating it as an asset and not an income stream, one day, you'll find yourself with something worth several hundred grand thats fully paid off. 4) The associated cost of selling it (realtor fees, etc) and then buying a new place in a few years if you move back (transfer taxes, lawyers, inspections) make it all the more worthwhile to maintain

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM

14,734 posts, read 10,627,366 times
Rent it. Unless you got so extraordinary deal when you purchased it, because you have owned it such a short time, the costs of selling it will result in a loss.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,673,240 times
Teebyrd86,

We just rented out our house in Vienna. So far, knock wood, it's been okay. We were going to sell initially, but I got cold feet and thought we may want to move back, so we decided to try renting. There is a real estate forum here on C-D with a renting subsection that is helpful. Although, many on there will try to dissuade you from being a landlord if you don't know what you are doing. I did a lot of reading and asking questions of those who are landlords. I figured we'd try to rent on our own initially and then go with a management company if that didn't work.

We advertised on AHRN, Militarybyowner, hotpads, and Craigslist. Militarybyowner had a cost associated with it. The others did not. Ultimately, we found our tenants from CL, and they have been great so far! We had lots and lots of replies. Definitely try to rent before school starts. Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,420,127 times
I would rent it, especially since you are close enough should you need to inspect it in the event of a problem. You would stand to lose money with the brokerage commissions and the like, after owning for such a short period of time. I doubt that you would have a problem renting it at all, especially if it's a newer complex.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM

14,398 posts, read 7,923,957 times
I agree that renting it would be a good choice, however, live in it for two years after your last tenant to avoid paying capital gains. You can do an exchange as well after renting it but that can be tricky.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,832,241 times
Can you afford to pay the mortgage on it if you have no tenant? Did you put enough down that the rent will cover everything - mortgage/condo fee/etc? If both are false I'd sell it and eat the loss. Otherwise you will just have a condo bleeding money monthly with no guarantee its value will ever rise to cover the losses.

I would not count on being able to move back here once you accept another position either, even if it is within the same company.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,089,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Can you afford to pay the mortgage on it if you have no tenant? Did you put enough down that the rent will cover everything - mortgage/condo fee/etc? If both are false I'd sell it and eat the loss. Otherwise you will just have a condo bleeding money monthly with no guarantee its value will ever rise to cover the losses.

I would not count on being able to move back here once you accept another position either, even if it is within the same company.
Unlikely around here you'd be without a tenant for long.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 AM

857 posts, read 1,003,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post

this is a good point...unless you can rent it for what you pay in mortgage and will have enough to cover any expenses/repairs. You will definitely have to consider your expenses/repairs at you new place. Will you have enough $$ to maintain both residences? You shouldn't have a problem finding a renter, but unless you have the cash for the unexpected snafu, condo fees etc. AND *your* housing expenses, keeping it may turn into a headache.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM

93 posts, read 239,621 times
Default Rent it and find your back

I would rent in both cases. The likelyhood that you will be without a tenant around here is very low. You might have to eat one month's mortgage, maybe none at all. Also, rent in Charlottesville, this gives you the option of getting away from a bad neighbor, unforseen construction et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia