U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM

19 posts, read 61,921 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I will be moving to the NoVa or Maryland area next Spring. Can anyone recommend some good and safe areas to move to in these two states. Not sure where we will be working but would like to live where we can get public transportation into DC from either side. We would like to spend no more than $600,000 to $650,000 for a house. We do not want a townhome or rowhouse. We would also like to live in a suburb type area with shopping and restaurant located not too far away. We already know about the terrible commute and I can't believe how so many people complaint about it when they should know it comes with living and working in just about any city area. Also what is about the average real estate taxes, electric/gas bill and water bills run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:24 PM

14 posts, read 54,493 times
I can't speak to much for Maryland, but can speak highly about Virginia. There are not to many places you can move to that are not safe in VA. You can find several new single family homes now in the price ranges you mentioned. Virginia does not have rowhouses to my knowledge, but Townhouses run between $300,000-$500,000 depending where it is located, but on the VA side, you can find a single family home in Fairfax County, Prince William County, Stafford County, etc. The taxes are bsed on the area you live in. Property taxes for Fairfax County is more than Prince William County. Electric, Gas and Water Bills vary based on the individual in the property. I stay cold, so my Gas is more than my electric. If you stay hot, your electric may be more than your gas, but normally water is a regular bill.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:04 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,523,403 times
Within Virginia, I'd check out Falls Church and Vienna.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,096,522 times
Default Loudoun County

I'm a huge fan of life in Loudoun County. The Lowes Island area (northern part of sterling, along the potomac) is extremely safe and scenic. We go walking late at night almost every night--I wouldn;t recommend that everywhere. Taxes and utilities are cheaper in Loudoun, and you have underground power lines. Lowes Island is right on the county line--Fairfax County is just a block away. So, the commute isn't too bad. But... it's not convenient to the Metro.

If you like Loudoun and want to be near the Metro, I hear that people like to buy up near where the 15 crosses into Maryland. Then they simply cross into Maryland and commute from there. If you need to be on the Metro line, then I would recommend Vienna. But, make sure you can walk to the station or that you can get to it very early in the morning becuase parking runs out by 7 a.m.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM

How is Sterling? I've been looking up info on that area. It seems to have plenty of shopping and nice homes. How is the diversity in this town? I heard the schools are pretty good, but fortunately my last child will be graduating from high school this school year, but I am a teacher thinking about changing careers back to an office job. It seem like Loudoun County dones not have many teaching job openings. Are their many military retirees in this area? Anybody know of any companies that are big on hiring military retirees in the DC/NoVa area? I was also looking at Woodbridge. Anyone have any info about that area. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 41,892 times
Loudoun has LOTs of teaching jobs from what I have read in the Washington Post due to the housing boom out there, they have to put up new schools constantly....I would really look in Loudoun if I were you and you wanted to teach

Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,160,510 times
I'd go back to <dullnboring>'s take. Fairfax County is also hiring teachers at high rates, and there are tons of military retirees here (many employed by the various contractor shops known as the Beltway Bandits...got clearances?). The Vienna/Oakton/Dunn Loring/Falls Church areas would also give you that quick and convenient access to Metro for an easy commute into the city, something that Loudon just doesn't provide. $600-650K would put lots of very nice SFH's within your reach in these areas. though not any of the up-upscale stuff. That's all into seven figures. You'd also have close proximity (ten minutes-ish) to Tysons Corner, the premier shopping, dining, and what-have-you mecca in all of Northern Virginia, plus access to a very nice and diverse selection of dining options elsewhere. Overall, taxes are highest in MD, then DC, and lowest in VA. In Fairfax County, for example, the real estate tax is $8.90 per thousand of assessed value. VA sales tax is 5%, but 2.5% for food, and 0% for prescription or over-the-counter medicines. We do have the dreaded Car Tax, of course. It's actually a personal property tax, but everything but cars, boats, trailers, and ATV's is exempt. Unless you have a yacht or a couple of shiny new Mercedes or some such, a couple of hundred bucks per year should take care of that for you.

You can get a decent idea of how much residential bang for the buck you can get in any of these areas by typing them into...

Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps

Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. Can we get a new construction in Fairfax County for $600 to $650K. If so any recommendations of nice developments.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:39 PM

2,439 posts, read 6,017,852 times
I don't think there is any new construction in the $650K price range in Fairfax -- certainly not in the closer-in areas such as Vienna/Oakton/Dunn Loring/Falls Church.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,533,641 times
It really depends on the size home you are looking for - my neighborhood for instance in (in my opinion, VERY safe) - some homes haven't been updated, others have been - you might luck into something that you can get for less but put some money into to upgrade/expand - I really, on the whole, like living in City of Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia