U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:40 PM

12 posts, read 19,957 times

Advertisements

I guess around here, ACPS has a reputation. As with any school/district there are very positive things and there are drawbacks. The veterans complain about the Supt., but I've had no direct dealings with him. Pros: Pay is good, many resources, lots of support if you need it. Also, in my particular case, I enjoy working with my co-workers. Cons: Mandatory professional development weekly that isn't tailored to you so it is hit or miss whether you get something out of it, somewhat disorganized (unlike most school systems it is not that easy to know what the procedure/expectation is for any given thing), lack of discipline from administrators, and lack of student accountability.

But I just talked to my new neighbor who works at FCPS and she cites disorganization as a problem there too.

I would not dissuade anyone from working where I do. I love the kids and I feel like I have had good community/parent support here.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 19,957 times
@jzcrandall: If you have a sped endorsement, you should have no problem getting an interview. There are positions posted now on the district website. I know of the behavior that you speak, but I personally have not witnessed that here in Alexandria.

TC is a huge school and the only High School in ACPS. The student population is very diverse culturally and socioeconomically so I don't think it is quite what you may have experienced in Richmond.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 5,037 times
Congrats on the job offer! I am a recent graduate from Florida in Elementary Education. I've applied to the school districts in Northern Virginia and have sent out resumes directly to schools. Any advice on snagging that job, since you've already managed to become so lucky? :-)

Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,754,098 times
You might consider expanding your search (or restarting) to include Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun Counties - they are very similar to ACPS, but would give you more flexibility in terms of places to live and transfers if you don't like the school. I think Loudoun and Prince William are the most affordable local school districts.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
You might consider expanding your search (or restarting) to include Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun Counties - they are very similar to ACPS, but would give you more flexibility in terms of places to live and transfers if you don't like the school. I think Loudoun and Prince William are the most affordable local school districts.
I wasn't sure if you were talking to me or not, but I'm looking in Fairfax, Arlington, and Loudoun as well. The recruiter at Fairfax said they could guarantee me a job based on my endorsements, but I'm also liking Alexandria because they provide great support for their athletic programs (remember that I'm also a wrestling coach), and they are impressed by my coaching background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia