Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,883 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I just got a job offer to work in ACPS. I'm a teacher in Dallas, TX. I know that the cost of living, compared to TX, is higher in Alexandria. I would like to know from real people, is it affordable for a teacher to live in Alexandria? I have a 2 y/o son that will be going to day care. My biggest concerns are the regular expenses for a family, groceries, utilities, car insurance, etc. Thanks for any information you can provide me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,906,811 times
It's just you and your son? Doubtful

Assuming you are making around $60k (take home ~$42k), you'll be dealing with really tight finances. That's a common salary for a 1st year grad in this area, believe it or not, and most of them choose to take on roommate(s) to make the bills work. The minimum you can expect to spend on a decent 2 bedroom apartment in the area is around $1200/month (up to twice the price for newer/nicer places). Day care will run another $1200+ per month. Rent + Daycare is nearly $30k/year right there. Add in gas/insurance/groceries/etc, and you're going to be cutting it close.

Doable if you're willing to cut corners, yes...but it won't be comfortable.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:06 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,550,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecyl.cc View Post
Hello All!

I just got a job offer to work in ACPS. I'm a teacher in Dallas, TX. I know that the cost of living, compared to TX, is higher in Alexandria. I would like to know from real people, is it affordable for a teacher to live in Alexandria? I have a 2 y/o son that will be going to day care. My biggest concerns are the regular expenses for a family, groceries, utilities, car insurance, etc. Thanks for any information you can provide me!
I went to ACPS the last two years of HS. I had teachers who commuted from really far out places like Winchester (Western VA) and married and still have to live further away like Fairfax and Herndon. Most fell into those two situations. If you want to be within 30-45 minutes of most ACPS schools you'll likely be shelling out at the bare minimum $1300 for a 2 bed even in questionable areas.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM

8,806 posts, read 15,244,443 times
Do you know on what step they will start you?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do you know on what step they will start you?
Yes, I will be around 58k a year. For your responses I think it's going to be though

Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM

12 posts, read 23,928 times
I work in ACPS. Do you know if you will be eligible for headstart for your son? Do you know what school you would be working for? It is expensive to live here, but it is doable if you budget. I know the cost of living is better in Dallas, but if you work in DISD - I'd leave Dallas. Your new Supt. is going to turn that place into a living **** (I know - I used to work for him in another state).

Old 06-03-2012, 04:16 PM

89 posts, read 273,897 times
Congrats on the position, luckily, ACPS actually pays more than most of their neighboring school systems. I think you can definitely get by on 60K a year, but like mentioned above, expect to have to sacrifice other things you may be able to afford if you were to live further out in the suburbs. My personal opinion, it's best to live close by and spend more time with your toddler...Perhaps an apartment along the Route 1 corridor would suffice, you wouldn't have to shell out the 1400 you may in Alexandria proper, and most apartments like Meadow Woods and Cherry Arms for instance, have teacher discounts...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM

727 posts, read 1,528,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrwkids View Post
I work in ACPS. Do you know if you will be eligible for headstart for your son? Do you know what school you would be working for? It is expensive to live here, but it is doable if you budget. I know the cost of living is better in Dallas, but if you work in DISD - I'd leave Dallas. Your new Supt. is going to turn that place into a living **** (I know - I used to work for him in another state).
What is your opinion on ACPS? Every time I talk to a recuiter they encourage me to interview with them (I'm still waiting for one). They really want me because a) I'm certified in Special Ed, and b) I am an accomplished wrestling coach (the wrestling community thinks that TCW is a sleeping giant). Based on the research I did on TC Williams, it looks like it'd be a great place to teach, but I am very concerned because it is a Titlle I School. I currently work as a paraprofessional in Richmond at a Title I school, and it has been a horrendous experience. I love the students, but the administration in central office is quick to throw as many people under the bus as they can; I've never seen as much turnover in one school. Is ACPS a similar experience? Also, any pointers on getting an interview?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 15,244,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecyl.cc View Post
Yes, I will be around 58k a year. For your responses I think it's going to be though
I think it would be tough budget-wise as a single parent. Still, some people will tell you that you make too much.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrwkids View Post
I don't know if I will be elegible for headstart. Do you know where I can find the info? Btw, I'm still waiting to hear something good about the new sup....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia