U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 5,349 times

Advertisements

Our budget is around $2000/mo for renting a house, and yes public or charter schools for our boys. They will be in kinder, 1st and 2nd grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 5,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Would you be able to look for housing options in Fort Myer in Virginia? It's right across the river from DC and a short commute to Bolling.
No, Fort Meyer has no housing available for soldiers. Only officers can get housing there.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armywife214 View Post
No, Fort Meyer has no housing available for soldiers. Only officers can get housing there.
I think you meant to say "enlisted soldiers." (Army officers are soldiers too.)

Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM

14,653 posts, read 10,555,678 times
As of yesterday, the waiting list was 12 to 18 months to move on Belvoir.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM

270 posts, read 801,485 times
I don't know about the waiting list, but the commute from the South Post of Belvoir to Bolling is not that bad. In the morning, the GW Parkway and the new Wilson bridge make it okay. Over in DC, 295 slows down during rush, but it's doable, compared to other commutes around here. Coming home to South Post is easy as you would take the GW Parkway, not Telegraph, which gets very slow.

Living off post near Bolling is not an option. Nobody goes outside the wire except to commute, for good reason. Andrews used to have some unique kind of off-post housing, but the schools were a problem there. It sounds like you husband is going to be in for a long commute. The closest county in Maryland, PG County has some rough areas. You might want to ask this question on a Maryland board. The closest areas in Virginia are safer, but more expensive. Either way, he is going to have to travel a long away to get to an area that meets your needs.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 AM

39 posts, read 73,352 times
Don't move to Bolling. You're right, the schools in that area are horrible and there is no guarantee you'll get a decent charter (lottery has already passed). Now, I have heard that they will bus some kids from Bolling up to the public schools in the Capitol Hill area, but again, I wouldn't live on Bolling if I could help it. In all honesty, I think you need to suck up the fact you're going to have to live off-post. If I were you, I'd start looking down in Charles County, MD. I know a lot of enlisted folks who own and rent nice homes in the Waldorf area. The commute is reasonable (at least you don't have to cross the Wilson bridge everyday) and the schools are decent. As another poster recommended, you should get some more info from the MD board. Either way, good luck. It's tough moving to this area and finding a comfortable, safe place for your kids to live and go to school usually trump commute for those of us on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia