U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,351 times

Advertisements

HELP! My husband and I are supposed to be arriving at the end of August. He will be working on Bolling AFB but we have been told that the schools in the area are horrible! We wanted to live on Fort Belvoir, but have been told that the commute is horrible to and from. So can someone please tell me how bad the commute really is between Belvoir and Bolling so we have a little bit of an idea what were getting into? Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM

798 posts, read 2,479,609 times
We live in a community very close to the Telegraph gate of Belvoir and drove to Bolling the first couple of years we were here. We left the house pretty early (between 6 and 6:15) and were at work in 30 minutes. We went up Telegraph to South Kings and across the Wilson. To the best of my knowledge though, most (if not all) of Belvoirs housing is across base so if that is the case, I am not sure how the ride would be from there. I am sure others will be able to offer more info.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,766 times
I agree with Irish..lots of my neighbors here in Kingstowne go to Bolling. 20-30 mins. It all depends on what time you leave.

That said - there is a last big push this summer on finishing up the Telegraph road interchange and local and thru lanes on the VA side of the bridge. There was an article on it in the post yesterday or the day before. So you might have to suffer for bit, but it should get better. (on the subject of thru and local lanes if you are headed towards Bolling on the bridge - take the local lane, not the thru - made that mistake a couple weeks ago.)

And as stated the housing is on South Post, so traversing thru the post could take awhile - not sure how bad Rt 1 to Wilson bridge is in the am. And beware - the newer housing has some serious wait lists. The older ones are easier to get into. With the high rate of BHA in the area, you might find it more economical to live off post - gas - driving time etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 AM

508 posts, read 625,792 times
I'm not sure about the commute but the last I heard the waiting list for housing on Belvoir is around 12 months for most ranks. There are off-post housing options near Belvoir but they wouldn't significantly change the commute.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,351 times
Thank you all for the info. The problem with us living off post is that we have 3 kids and a dog. So with our budget for bah and finding a house with 3 or 4 bedrooms it seems our budget is too low for the area. Any ideas on how bad it really is outside the gate if we were to live on Bolling?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,944,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armywife214 View Post
Thank you all for the info. The problem with us living off post is that we have 3 kids and a dog. So with our budget for bah and finding a house with 3 or 4 bedrooms it seems our budget is too low for the area. Any ideas on how bad it really is outside the gate if we were to live on Bolling?
Being blunt: It's a low-income urban neighborhood that I believe is almost entirely African American.

If you want to have an easier commute, consider the Hillcrest neighborhood of DC. I've visited there--diverse upper-income neighborhood and kind of an enclave in SE. You will be much closer to high-crime areas than you would be in NOVA--but according to the article in the link, it's quite safe there:
And indeed, the total number of crimes (both property and violent crimes) that occurred in the community over the past year was about one-fifth the number of those that took place in a residential section of Georgetown during the same period.
I have no idea how the schools are there, but I'm sure you can dig up the names of the particular schools and then snoop around the District parent/school forums.

Good luck!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-05-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armywife214 View Post
As stated above it is not a great place to be. There is really just a highway outside the gate, so there is no walking off base, running to the 7-11 or whatever..it doesn't exist. You will shop on base unless you cross over to the VA side, commisary isn't bad, BX is. There is a burger king and a Dunkin Donuts!

Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM

518 posts, read 1,293,058 times
Would you be able to look for housing options in Fort Myer in Virginia? It's right across the river from DC and a short commute to Bolling.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 AM

766 posts, read 848,910 times
I commute from Kingstowne to NRL (right next to Bolling) daily. In the morning (8-9am) it's smooth on most days, but in the evening (5-6pm) it's pretty rough, mostly because of the merge from 2 lanes to 1 on 495 at the Telegraph road exit.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM

214 posts, read 425,353 times
What's your budget and do you need public schools for your children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia