U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Reputation: 3857

Advertisements

Does the YMCA no longer do swim lessons? (I'll never forget the pride of progressing from tadpole to frog.)

How about community colleges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 AM
 
531 posts, read 1,205,021 times
Reputation: 282
IDA LEE in Leesburg also offers swim lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
 
198 posts, read 310,576 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Does the YMCA no longer do swim lessons? (I'll never forget the pride of progressing from tadpole to frog.)

How about community colleges?
Yes, the Reston YMCA was on my list - they do offer lessons, and it is the closest place to my house so it is certainly in the running. I was just looking for some insight about the variety of places available.

I haven't checked into community colleges yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,645,146 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't know if this is still the case, but a lot of moms from my moms club used to complain about the water being very cold at Oak Marr. It may have changed - that was a few years ago, but something to consider.
We did a swim class at Oak Marr through Fairfax County parks and rec for our baby and the water could be a little chilly. It wasn't unbearable or anything though. We did the class in the winter so not sure if that had something to do with it. This summer we're doing the next swim class for his age group at Spring Hill rec center, but still through Ffx County parks and rec. The classes are good. With babies there's not a whole lot you can do, besides just getting them used to water. Towards the end you try to get the baby to hold its breath and go under for a second. Ours wanted to drink it so he hasn't quite mastered that yet, but some do. Cost wasn't bad either. The swim classes fill up really fast though so figure out what day registration opens and try to sign up that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
 
198 posts, read 310,576 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
We did a swim class at Oak Marr through Fairfax County parks and rec for our baby and the water could be a little chilly. It wasn't unbearable or anything though. We did the class in the winter so not sure if that had something to do with it. This summer we're doing the next swim class for his age group at Spring Hill rec center, but still through Ffx County parks and rec. The classes are good. With babies there's not a whole lot you can do, besides just getting them used to water. Towards the end you try to get the baby to hold its breath and go under for a second. Ours wanted to drink it so he hasn't quite mastered that yet, but some do. Cost wasn't bad either. The swim classes fill up really fast though so figure out what day registration opens and try to sign up that morning.
Thanks. I like the Spring Hill option, but see that the next sessions are already waitlisted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,645,146 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
Thanks. I like the Spring Hill option, but see that the next sessions are already waitlisted
Most of the swim classes fill up the day registration opens. If you can't find anything this summer that works for you get your baby in a fall class. Just make sure you set a reminder for the day registration opens and sign up asap. Registration for fall probably opens sometime in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
 
198 posts, read 310,576 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Most of the swim classes fill up the day registration opens. If you can't find anything this summer that works for you get your baby in a fall class. Just make sure you set a reminder for the day registration opens and sign up asap. Registration for fall probably opens sometime in August.
Thanks. I might do that. We're going on vacation later this summer and will be renting a house with a pool, so in part, I was hoping to get him comfortable with the water before that. Maybe I'll do just a couple week session at someplace close to home and see how it goes, and then consider the other options for something more long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
 
198 posts, read 310,576 times
Reputation: 69
There was another thread discussing the Village at Leesburg, so I thought I'd check out their site to see what stores and restaurants were there. I noticed there is a place called "Swim U" that appears to be a swim school (similar to SwimKids).

Anybody have any experience with this one? Obviously, it's pretty new since it's in this shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
 
670 posts, read 1,065,252 times
Reputation: 446
I would recommend the Reston Community Center. I used to work there in the Aquatics department years ago but they had an EXCELLENT aquatic program. I wish they were accessable to me because I'd love to take my kids there for lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Leesburg
799 posts, read 1,128,446 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
IDA LEE in Leesburg also offers swim lessons.
That's where I take my young children for swim lessons. Excellent program. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top