U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,864,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Your gut feeling is incorrect.

Uniform Crime Reports of Fairfax County and Index from 1985 to 2005

In *every* category, there was less crime in Fairfax in 2005 than in 1980, despite the population of Fairfax doubling in that timeframe.

Uniform Crime Reports of Loudoun County and Index from 1985 to 2005

same in Loudoun County.

How do you wish things had changed, as opposed to your current assertion that "It's not 19(whatever year you think was ideal) anymore!"
You could have just ended you response with "Boooyyyyaaaaahhhhhh!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Haha StPickrell thanks for doing the research for me. Again people dont realize urbanization doesnt mean "dirty city" it means development, which means investment, which means interested private forces that want to make sure the area stays clean and secure and safe. It is a form of passive surveillance. The increase in development in Fairfax, and the affluence that was created from it, show that trend as you pointed out.

Boooooooyaaaaaaaaahhhh

But I get that not everyone likes living around other people, and to that point I simply am noting that there are lots of desolate and cheap lands elsewhere. Likely the people who stay here do so because they dont want to live in desolation when it comes to their paycheck and need to keep feeding off of society all the while complaining about them. Present company excluded of course.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM

7 posts, read 5,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Haha StPickrell thanks for doing the research for me. Again people dont realize urbanization doesnt mean "dirty city" it means development, which means investment, which means interested private forces that want to make sure the area stays clean and secure and safe. It is a form of passive surveillance. The increase in development in Fairfax, and the affluence that was created from it, show that trend as you pointed out.

Boooooooyaaaaaaaaahhhh

But I get that not everyone likes living around other people, and to that point I simply am noting that there are lots of desolate and cheap lands elsewhere. Likely the people who stay here do so because they dont want to live in desolation when it comes to their paycheck and need to keep feeding off of society all the while complaining about them. Present company excluded of course.

Wow, you're really full of yourself. Or full of something. Good bye.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
How do you wish things had changed, as opposed to your current assertion that "It's not 19(whatever year you think was ideal) anymore!"
Growing up in Fairfax City, it used to be a nice-sized, fairly quiet town. With FX County's growth explosion beginning around '85, the City got swallowed-up with traffic. I'm ready for a quieter, more laid back town or city again. I enjoy peace and quiet and open spaces.

I'm nearing retirement, so that will be my cue to exit NOVA for greener pastures.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 AM

799 posts, read 1,129,056 times
Loudoun County, particularly the western half, is a retiree hot spot. However, wealthier outsiders are displacing the less affluent natives.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Jib View Post
Growing up in Fairfax City, it used to be a nice-sized, fairly quiet town. With FX County's growth explosion beginning around '85, the City got swallowed-up with traffic. I'm ready for a quieter, more laid back town or city again. I enjoy peace and quiet and open spaces.

I'm nearing retirement, so that will be my cue to exit NOVA for greener pastures.
Just like I thought, you idealize the good parts of rural life, but when it comes to your checkbook you want alllll that city money

Thats having your cake and eating it too. Guess what you are one of the people who like this area for its jobs, and thats the reason more people want to come here. The amount of traffic that occurred is because of people obstructing proper planning and building further and further out. Rural areas could have been preserved in fairfax, a county that is over 100 times the size of downtown manhattan, if the 1 million residents hadnt been spread so willy nilly.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Just like I thought, you idealize the good parts of rural life, but when it comes to your checkbook you want alllll that city money

Thats having your cake and eating it too. Guess what you are one of the people who like this area for its jobs, and thats the reason more people want to come here. The amount of traffic that occurred is because of people obstructing proper planning and building further and further out. Rural areas could have been preserved in fairfax, a county that is over 100 times the size of downtown manhattan, if the 1 million residents hadnt been spread so willy nilly.
And just like I thought: You answered a post that I replied to from another poster, because you can't let it go. You have to get the last word in. You don't know me. You don't know where I work. You are making a lot of ASSumptions.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM

3,899 posts, read 5,347,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Well, that would explain all the outhouses I see in Purcellville. Capital improvement, what's that? For some reason, you folks in Western Loudoun are seeking millions in grants from VDOT.
Not really getting into this squabble but I was amazed to learned there are still existing outhouses in Middleburg. Behind all those estates, there are several small communities in dire straits.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM

799 posts, read 1,129,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not really getting into this squabble but I was amazed to learned there are still existing outhouses in Middleburg. Behind all those estates, there are several small communities in dire straits.
I was being flip, but I know what you mean. I love driving back roads and I've seen the pockets of poverty you are referencing.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times
so is this the only discussion of silver line passing we've got?

LoCo is still fighting over it, even after a tax district designed to keep western Loudoun from paying for it was created?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia