U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,446,357 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had an knowledge of the FCPS hiring process? My wife has interviewed with the districts HR and a few high schools. She was asked if she was on the early hire list, which she was not. What exactly is that and do all of those people need placed before she would be offered a job? If that's the case, will there still be vacancies after that? She has already interviewed at 4 high schools and has 4 more (2 high, 2 middle) to schedule, as well as 3 in Prince William.

Last edited by Grsz11; 06-05-2012 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 AM

12 posts, read 19,953 times
She must be doing something right if she is getting this many interviews before they are opening the vacancy list (July 2). Be patient.

I believe the Early Hire list has to do with the job fairs they have earlier in the year.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,554,769 times
I was shocked at how non-standard the FCPS hiring process is. I expected that in a district this size, it would be a very streamlined, by the book process. Not so! There are numerous ways to be hired, and everyone I spoke to within the county told me a different way to go about things.

The "early hire" list is people who are hired at job fairs in the winter/early spring. These people are guaranteed a job in the county, but not at a specific school. The county has chosen them, not a school.

Each principal does their own hiring for their school. They are required to contact everyone on the early hire list who is qualified and has shown interest in the particular position, but they are not required to hire them before a "walk on" person.

I did my student teaching in the county, but the school I did it at had no openings for me, so I was forced to start over during the summer and apply for interviews like mad. I was not an early hire, but the school that chose me wanted me because I had business world experience. They were required to interview any of the early hires that wanted the position, but the lady who interviewed me assured me she was not required to choose them over me if they liked me better.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM

3,557 posts, read 3,446,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I was shocked at how non-standard the FCPS hiring process is. I expected that in a district this size, it would be a very streamlined, by the book process. Not so! There are numerous ways to be hired, and everyone I spoke to within the county told me a different way to go about things.
We've been thinking the same thing. She applied online and interviewed with the county HR a few weeks back, who gave her a list of schools with vacancies. She then contacted the principals and AP's who started getting back her rather quickly. In the interviews, some asked her if she already applied online (isn't that the first step? was interviewing with HR just a waste of time?) Also, some didn't know if they could hire her with her out-of-state license (VDE told her she would be granted reciprocity and have 3 years to complete the appropriate assessments). Now we're nervous that some won't hire her because they don't think they can.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 19,953 times
The population is highly transient - I wouldn't worry about the time for reciprocity. It only took a few weeks from applying reciprocity to getting it. I do not believe that they wouldn't hire her because of her out-of-state license as long as she is eligible for reciprocity.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 18,583 times
I am an early hire coming from out of state. I recently accepted an offer at an elementary school. The out of state license was not a big deal at all. Nobody even brought it up at my interviews, so I wouldn't worry about it. HR told me that they will help me take care of it once I was hired, so I am just now starting the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia