U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:05 PM

421 posts, read 818,874 times

Advertisements

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just recently found this forum and for the past two days have been reading threads as I can. I just read the one entitled "So SICK of the DC Metro Area" and not a minute too soon. My husband, myself, and our two boys aged 14 and 9 moved away from NOVA last summer. I have been so homesick as I've lived in NOVA for all of my adult life and have whined so about wanting to move back that my family is ready to do it just to shut me up! There are so many things I miss, but the things mentioned in that thread served as a reminder as to why I was looking forward to a new life elsewhere.

We moved to Muscle Shoals, AL ( think Lynard Skynards 'Sweet Home Alabama'- "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
Pick me up when I'm feeling blue."

Things are still antiquated here to a degree. The schools aren't nearly as rich as they are in Virginia, but the kids are getting a great education no matter what the Today Show says, lol. For 289K, we bought a 3600 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 Baths, an acre with a 20 x 40 inground pool ON THE RIVER! I truly feel that it was the best thing to ever happen to this little family. My oldest is very impressionable and I was going to lose control of him in high school, I just felt it. I was tired of being a middle class family trying to survive in such a dog-eat-dog area. My children still don't have cellphones. They don't need them here! My husband drives 6 minutes to work at the local hospital. God love these simple people, they've welcomed us with open arms. For all you people who think you're stuck working in a big city, we are within communting distance to Huntsville and Birmingham, and people drive it every day. It takes 60-90 minutes, less time than commuting in the DC area to the 'burbs. They don't have some things I loved, like good bagels, 24 hour grocery stores and pharmacies, and nobody here has ever heard of a salad bar except in a restaurant. Most things are closed on Sundays. God is pretty important, too! Down here, it's God first, family second, work third, and everything else doesn't figure much. We've got great golf courses, wonderful parks, some great nightspots, and lots of history! Again, thanks for reminding me of why we left. "Ya'll come on down!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Sounds good! Everyone is best off in the place where they can make the life that they really want for themselves. For some, that's NoVa. For others, it's just not...

Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 AM

54 posts, read 141,378 times
"Packs Bags". . . .

Old 09-28-2007, 07:02 AM

407 posts, read 2,085,913 times
This is a very wonderful forum I must say! :-)

Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,796,798 times
I totally agree! I actually found the forum when there was a possibility we might relocate to Florida, but I spend lots of time here as I lived in NOVA for 41 years. I was so tired of working hard at 2 jobs while living in a nice suburban neighborhood so I could make a decent life for my family - yet we STILL lived paycheck to paycheck!!

There were no options for me - we bought our TH at the begining of the housing boom. When taxes made my mortgage unbearable I couldn't just sell and move to another house or even an apt - the prices had gone out of control on all housing. I had no choice but to leave the area. We chose Hampton Roads because it was familiar to us (in laws were here).

We found less stress and a whole different laid back lifestyle here. I have more house for $600 less a month (actually a SFH now). I travel back to Centreville to visit my daughter and I cannot stand the traffic and the tension that envelopes me as soon as we get close to Gainesville. We have been gone for 4 years - yet it feels like a lifetime. Everything costs so much it just felt like such a waste of money, and I was paying for that stress!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:50 PM

3,030 posts, read 7,376,836 times
I moved to Raleigh, NC last year and I too still miss NoVA as I have all my family back there. The thing is, we make the same money down here, have a single family home instead of a townhouse, and it cost us 100k less then what we sold our townhouse for.

I still miss a lot about NoVA, but after about 15 months this place is starting to grow on me more. It's more southern obviously, but there are so many transplants here that it's changing rapidly. I'm going back to school, which I never could have done before with my job and commute. We can actually save money (put more in our 401k and IRA) and pay off more principle on our mortgage, which we never could have done before. Also, our house has appreciated about $30k since we bought it last year, compare that to the townhouse we sold in Leesburg and has already been forclosed upon and the bank was asking $100k less then what we sold it for last April (don't know if it sold yet).

We always thought we might move back if it were possible, but I just don't know if that will ever happen now. I mean I don't know if we'll stay in Raleigh forever, but we just might. One thing though is that NC and Raleigh in general are growing fast and traffic here while nothing compared to DC, has grown even since we've been here. Wake County (Raleigh) just passed 800,000 people and we're supposed to double that in 20 years. So growth here is kind of getting out of control, but it's still a great area to live in.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 AM

13 posts, read 36,875 times
slight off track. i lived in raleigh nc. hated it. have been in dc now for almost 40 years love it. raleigh consists of many people all from small cities and although more cosmopolitan (so, i'm not a good speller) than years ago it not impressive to this date. even Nordstrom moved to Charlotte, a dirty town. The main problem with DC is friends were hard to find initially, cost of housing (now) and traffic (living outside beltway).

As to forum, great little forum, but like anything you have to take what you read with a grain of salt. I'm going to be biased I know towards the DC area and especially North Arlington. Others think living in Reston is heaven. You should assume if someone has lived in a location for years that they like it. Yes sometimes a job controls where you live. And others are too lazy to look for a new location and packup and move.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 20,076 times
Ok, I just moved to the country in Maryland and I was reading the forum and getting REALLY homesick for NOVA. I grew up there, lived there my whole life, and have been missing it terribly. I have been wondering why I would make such a stupid move to this backwoods culture. Your post reminded me of some of the reasons we moved.

I do miss things, but I don't miss that crazy dog eat dog culture. I would love to have gone somewhere even more affordable, but we did want to stay in distance of family.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM

55,486 posts, read 74,383,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just recently found this forum and for the past two days have been reading threads as I can. I just read the one entitled "So SICK of the DC Metro Area" and not a minute too soon. My husband, myself, and our two boys aged 14 and 9 moved away from NOVA last summer. I have been so homesick as I've lived in NOVA for all of my adult life and have whined so about wanting to move back that my family is ready to do it just to shut me up! There are so many things I miss, but the things mentioned in that thread served as a reminder as to why I was looking forward to a new life elsewhere.

We moved to Muscle Shoals, AL ( think Lynard Skynards 'Sweet Home Alabama'- "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
Pick me up when I'm feeling blue."

Things are still antiquated here to a degree. The schools aren't nearly as rich as they are in Virginia, but the kids are getting a great education no matter what the Today Show says, lol. For 289K, we bought a 3600 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 Baths, an acre with a 20 x 40 inground pool ON THE RIVER! I truly feel that it was the best thing to ever happen to this little family. My oldest is very impressionable and I was going to lose control of him in high school, I just felt it. I was tired of being a middle class family trying to survive in such a dog-eat-dog area. My children still don't have cellphones. They don't need them here! My husband drives 6 minutes to work at the local hospital. God love these simple people, they've welcomed us with open arms. For all you people who think you're stuck working in a big city, we are within communting distance to Huntsville and Birmingham, and people drive it every day. It takes 60-90 minutes, less time than commuting in the DC area to the 'burbs. They don't have some things I loved, like good bagels, 24 hour grocery stores and pharmacies, and nobody here has ever heard of a salad bar except in a restaurant. Most things are closed on Sundays. God is pretty important, too! Down here, it's God first, family second, work third, and everything else doesn't figure much. We've got great golf courses, wonderful parks, some great nightspots, and lots of history! Again, thanks for reminding me of why we left. "Ya'll come on down!"
ok, im on it.
stephen s
san deigo ca

Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM

421 posts, read 818,874 times
Ahem. Please disregard everything I said. My cheeks are flushing at my own naivity. This has been the longest nightmare of my life and I'm happy to say that this spring or summer we will heading back to civilization. Woo-hoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia