U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 AM

29 posts, read 58,798 times

Advertisements

Where's the best stop to get off when wanting to explore Georgetown the city and possible the university. We're coming from fredericksburg, parking our car in the huntington or springfield lot (do they get full quickly during the week?) and exploring the georgetown area. Its time we get to know VA/DC/MD a little more this summer

Or is it best to just drive and park somewhere around the major part of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,655,255 times
Rosslyn and walk/cab across the bridge

Also, VRE to franconia springfield? The lots during the week will be PACKED at all metro stations and more than that I-95 is hell on earth during the day. VRE comes direct from Fburg doesnt it?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,386,276 times
Metro to Rosslyn and a 15-minute walk across Key Bridge is one option. Views from Key Bridge are nice. You could also go one more stop to Foggy Bottom, walk a block north to Washington Circle, and then catch the red Circulator bus headed west into Georgetown. Costs a dollar.

Coming from Fredericksburg, I would use the Franconia/Springfield station off I-95. If you arrive after 10:00 am (but not a lot after), you can use the "Reserved Parking Permit Required" spaces without a permit and at no additional charge. Look for the green-and-white signs.

VRE service is another option, but their focus is on commuter service during rush hour. They run only one mid-day train in each direction. Not exactly convenient if you want to travel outside of rush hour. If you decided to have dinner in DC, you'd have no way home.

Parking in Georgetown itself is never easy. You could conceivably drive into Rosslyn and find a garage there that wasn't full. I wouldn't necessarily bank on it though, and garages may close (with your car inside) in the early evening if you aren't careful.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,647,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Rosslyn and walk/cab across the bridge
Or you can take GUTS to campus from the Rosslyn Metro for free.

On weekends, it is free to park in the on-campus garages. There are two, with plenty of spaces.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,144,784 times
My friend always gets off at the Foggy Bottom station and walks. Not sure how far the walk is as I've never done it myself.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,655,255 times
CD I think they are coming mid week. Its a closer walk from Rosslyn than from Foggy Bottom, most out of towners just dont know how easy of a walk it is across the bridge because the metro map is completely out of scale.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,700,497 times
If you are coming mid week, I would head straight to Pentagon City Mall after the HOV opens up.

Or park in the commuter parking lot at Springfield Mall and walk over to the metro. It's free. I've done the scout the reserved spots when they open up and it can be tough, there are people that wait for them. As a former reserve parker - I've had times when all spots were taken by about 15 minutes prior to opening up..people hope they won't get caught. And if all other parking is full you have to talk your way out of not paying - which I don't know if that works anymore.

Last edited by slduvall; 06-06-2012 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM

108 posts, read 178,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitbetta View Post
Where's the best stop to get off when wanting to explore Georgetown the city and possible the university. We're coming from fredericksburg, parking our car in the huntington or springfield lot (do they get full quickly during the week?) and exploring the georgetown area. Its time we get to know VA/DC/MD a little more this summer

Or is it best to just drive and park somewhere around the major part of the city?
I suggest taking Metro to Rosslyn (like others). Once there, you can either walk across the Key Bridge into Georgetown or take the DC Circulator bus, which regularly runs across the bridge and down into the heart of Georgetown on M Street.

The bridge will not be visible from the Metro station if you choose to walk. Given construction in the area, one viable route to the bridge is to walk north (i.e. left out of the Metro station) on N. Moore Street to 19th Street (1/2 block), turn right at 19th Street, cross and then turn left at N. Lynn Street, which will take you to the bridge and M Street in Georgetown.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,386,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Well, sort of...

"Faculty, staff and students with a valid Georgetown University ID card can ride along any GUTS route at no charge. Physicians, staff and patients with valid GUH ID may ride the Rosslyn and Dupont shuttles. Visitors and persons doing business on campus may also ride free of charge and must show a picture ID at the time of boarding."

The GUTS stop in Rosslyn is at 19th and Moore Streets, and mid-day service is every 20 minutes starting at the top of the hour, Service back is on virtually the same schedule and runs until 11:45.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,538,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post

On weekends, it is free to park in the on-campus garages. There are two, with plenty of spaces.
Technically, the GUTS service (paid for privately by Georgetown University) is not open to the public--you need to be faculty, staff, students, or visiting campus, e.g., as a guest lecturer, person needing care at the hospital, prospective student or parent. See the site you linked for details. But unless the driver decides to grill you as you get on the bus, you should be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia