Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
As far as I can tell, the Flex would cost the same as any other EZ Pass, because you can use it the same, plus the bonus of using it to claim HOV.
So it won't be like the HOV lanes on 95? For example, right now once in a blue moon, my family heads to Woodbridge in the afternoon. We can jump on the HOV in Springfield off the parkway. Would we not be able to the same on 495 without an EZ pass? You couldn't just say, "Hey. We have 3 people. Let's jump on the HOV lane"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
So it won't be like the HOV lanes on 95? For example, right now once in a blue moon, my family heads to Woodbridge in the afternoon. We can jump on the HOV in Springfield off the parkway. Would we not be able to the same on 495 without an EZ pass? You couldn't just say, "Hey. We have 3 people. Let's jump on the HOV lane"?
That seems to be the case. You'd have to pay 25 for the transponder (refundable), a 35 minimum balance loaded to your account, and a monthly fee if one is added.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
My guess is that troopers will look for single drivers as the people to scan to see whether they switched over to the toll, as they will be the easiest to spot coming out of the toll booths. ....,
Tollbooths? I thought it was going to be like on the ICC in MD where there are no toll booths.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Yes, you would of course be correct. From the 495 Express Lanes website...

You will pay your toll on the Express Lanes with an E-ZPass® – there are no toll booths to slow you down. The electronic tolling equipment will charge your E-ZPass® account. The Express Lanes will have all-electronic tolling to keep you moving. There will be no tollbooths or options to pay cash.

And I invite all those who believe it will be easy for them to cheat the toll system to report back concerning their "success" once the Express Lanes are open.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
That seems to be the case. You'd have to pay 25 for the transponder (refundable), a 35 minimum balance loaded to your account, and a monthly fee if one is added.
Eh, for the amount of times we use that road it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:42 PM

79 posts, read 137,065 times
More HOV lanes? what a waste. they could build 5 more lanes with all the space wasted with the express system.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 AM

20 posts, read 28,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaZombieDrivers View Post
More HOV lanes? what a waste. they could build 5 more lanes with all the space wasted with the express system.
The problem is the state doesn’t have the funding to do that. As this is being funded mainly by the company that will collect the tolls with some going to the state it’s really the only way the work was going to get done. As part of building the lanes they have rebuilt many of the bridges across 495 that the state was going to have to do anyway and also sorted some of the interchanges. And if I am not mistaken they did add lanes in addition to building the HOT lanes themselves.

The EZPass flex hasn’t come out yet and will most likely come out after VA switches to a monthly charge ($1) for having an EZPass. At present you pay $25 to purchase one and then just add value as you use it ( or have it set up to automatically renew when the balance gets low). VA wants to start charging a monthly fee but you won't pay the $25 deposit.

It will be interesting to see how they do catch the violators. I can see someone trying to switch to the HOV-3 mode when they enter and exit but switching it to normal mode while driving the rest. I can see police monitoring the entrances but they won't be at every entrance and if someone has it normal mode for the rest of the trip how can they tell if they cheated to get on/off.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevis View Post
It will be interesting to see how they do catch the violators. I can see someone trying to switch to the HOV-3 mode when they enter and exit but switching it to normal mode while driving the rest. I can see police monitoring the entrances but they won't be at every entrance and if someone has it normal mode for the rest of the trip how can they tell if they cheated to get on/off.
I wonder what the fines will be. How do you differentiate between people who accidentally have it left on the wrong setting vs. those who are trying to cheat and if caught, pass it off as an accident.

Unlike normal HOV fines, it's much easier to make a mistake here - the false positives of true cheaters will be much higher than previously. Which is really too bad, because I would like to see the cheaters severely punished, but it's hard to justify a $300 fine to all those people who forgot a setting switch. Although I guess after a $300 fine, they wouldn't forget again!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I wonder what the fines will be. How do you differentiate between people who accidentally have it left on the wrong setting vs. those who are trying to cheat and if caught, pass it off as an accident.

Unlike normal HOV fines, it's much easier to make a mistake here - the false positives of true cheaters will be much higher than previously. Which is really too bad, because I would like to see the cheaters severely punished, but it's hard to justify a $300 fine to all those people who forgot a setting switch. Although I guess after a $300 fine, they wouldn't forget again!
I suspect the amount of people who carpool one day, and don't the next, and then forget to flip the switch despite going through toll lanes with multiple big digital signs will be miniscule compared to those who will claim they forgot.

The good news is, there might be a little less of a reason to cheat on the HOT lanes than the current HOV lanes. The current HOV cheaters do it primarily for time, as except for the Dulles Toll Road, there isn't a monetary savings to it. The new HOT lanes will be available to everyone, and someone who cheats is cheating to save money and not time. In this area for rush our commuters, time is usually more valuable than money, and as you said, getting caught once will hopefully be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia