Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsane View Post
My credential is in Arizona and there is a reciprocity agreement with VA. How far is Montgomery County from Belvoir?
Too far in my opinion. It's all the way on the other side of the beltway in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
My credential is in Arizona and there is a reciprocity agreement with VA. How far is Montgomery County from Belvoir?
FAR. 60-90 minutes (minimum) during rush hour, depending where in the county you're going. (MoCo is a large county).

I would expect to sub for the 6 months you'll be here in the spring. Then you'll be poised to pick up a job in the fall. There are some positions that are listed mid-year, but they are few and far between. As a credentialed teacher, you should be eligible for long term sub positions though (which could be several months for maternity leave, etc.)

Old 06-08-2012, 01:19 PM

16 posts, read 31,949 times
Thank you ALL for the great info! I still have some reservations about sending my kids to the schools zoned for Ft. Belvoir, but I do appreciate the different perspectives. The district as a whole does seem phenomenal. All I can research online are the scores and ratings, and that just can't give you the "feel" or atmosphere of a school, which is much more important to me! I don't mind the diversity, but I am concerned about the at-risk students getting the attention & focus. I want my kids to feel safe, have friends, and have caring, quality teachers. There is no way to see that from a distance.

From what I have researched and read here, I think I am leaning toward Burke or West Springfield. What would the commute be like for DH onto Ft. Belvoir? How long? Is it bumper to bumper?

As for the teaching job, I have submitted my application through FCPS website. Now I'll follow up with e-mails to principals. I am definitely open to subbing and will definitely pursue that as well.

Thanks again for all the info and insights!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
From what I have researched and read here, I think I am leaning toward Burke or West Springfield. What would the commute be like for DH onto Ft. Belvoir? How long? Is it bumper to bumper?
It really depends where in WS or Burke, and what gate in Belvoir (as well as what time of day). Anywhere from 15-40 minutes, probably.

Your $1900 budget is low though. Are you willing to add a bit? A quick and dirty search only brings back 2br apartments in that price range in the areas you are targeting.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Do you know where on the base he might be? I live in West Springfield and it literally takes me 10 minutes to get to the gate at Fort Belvoir North... but if that's not the part of the base he's going to, it would be longer (I am not sure how long though). We also have a lot of military families in our neighborhood, so there is a chance of finding a carpool.

By the way, I love my child's school and teachers at West Springfield Elementary.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It really depends where in WS or Burke, and what gate in Belvoir (as well as what time of day). Anywhere from 15-40 minutes, probably.

Your $1900 budget is low though. Are you willing to add a bit? A quick and dirty search only brings back 2br apartments in that price range in the areas you are targeting.
To add to what CaliTerp says, if you are willing to go a little higher, you can get 3 bedroom townhouses. Most of the neighborhoods have pools and playgrounds, so while you won't have a big backyard, you still have lots of "space" (you just need to walk to it a bit).

Old 06-08-2012, 02:04 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
$1900 is low, but doable, barely, north of Belvoir. Your options expand considerably if your husband can stand a longer commute. If so, consider the Lake Ridge area where a lot of military families live. Waaayyy better option than Montgomery County if he works at Belvoir. Search the NoVA forum, there's a lot of info on the Lake Ridge communities.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 31,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

Oops! I was mistaken, it's not 1900. Our housing allowance is 2500 a month!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,430 times
Quote:
Oops! I was mistaken, it's not 1900. Our housing allowance is 2500 a month!
$2500 is MUCH better!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
$2500 is MUCH better!
Agreed! That should easily rent you a townhouse or an older/smaller SFH in some nearby areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia