U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,551 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking into a business opportunity in the area of the corner of Rt. 50 and Centerville Rd in Chantilly, VA.

Does anyone know of any upcoming road construction in this area?

Also, does anyone know why the Shopper's Grocery Store shut earlier this year in that shopping center on this corner?

Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,962 times
Route 50 is being widened from Route 28 west toward Poland Rd. This will most certainly affect traffic at Centreville Rd. VDOT Project Page

According to this Patch article, the Shoppers was unprofitable. I suspect that Lotte probably took a lot of their business.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
According to this Patch article, the Shoppers was unprofitable. I suspect that Lotte probably took a lot of their business.
There was undoubtedly more to Shopper's being unprofitable than the late-arriving Lotte - that entire strip mall facing Route 50 has only three car entrances - and two of them are essentially from behind the stores:

Strip Mall from above

Just like the new Walmart at the Capital Expo Center, there isn't any good traffic flow.

And, yes, that bodes ill for the new Walmart, IMHO.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
There was undoubtedly more to Shopper's being unprofitable than the late-arriving Lotte - that entire strip mall facing Route 50 has only three car entrances - and two of them are essentially from behind the stores:

Strip Mall from above

Just like the new Walmart at the Capital Expo Center, there isn't any good traffic flow.

And, yes, that bodes ill for the new Walmart, IMHO.
You're right... I hate driving in that front part. The back circle of Metrotech isn't as bad.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,559,257 times
Traffic in that part of 50 gets backed up bad because of all the people merging from the Ffax cty pkwy and all the people making a left into the Target shopping center

Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 AM

588 posts, read 1,201,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Traffic in that part of 50 gets backed up bad because of all the people merging from the Ffax cty pkwy and all the people making a left into the Target shopping center
Fairfax County Parkway merges onto Rt. 50 MILES away from the aforementioned intersection. Other than a few spots (briefly around Greenbriar and then again around Stringfellow) traffic typically doesn't start backing up until someplace between Centreville Rd. and Rt. 28.

Also, I don't think it is the people making a left into the Target shopping center that backs up Rt. 50; I think it is the volume of cars traveling into South Riding. If you watch closely, people are able to fly past the volume when they get to the left turn lane to turn into Chantilly Crossing.

Rt. 50 has terrible traffic issues from one end of it to the other, but certain spots are much worse than others.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,559,257 times
well, I think at least the left lane gets tied up, you have to stand in line way back to make that left into the Target or else you'll have to try to squeeze in somewhere up ahead and hope you get a driver who's understanding and will let you in if you make puppy dog eyes at him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia