U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM

256 posts, read 342,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
As a general rule, the more educated you are, the more you delay marriage and children. If you look at trends around the country you'll see that people with less education tend to marry and have children earlier, on average, and people who stay in school longer (bachelor's, masters, doctorates, professional degrees), tend to marry later and have children later. With the DC area being one with a large percentage of highly-degreed individuals, you'll find that the average age for marriage and having children is higher.
It is not directly related to education and it is unique to DC and NY. Once you get a higher degree, you are getting a better position. When you are getting a better position, you are getting more responsibilities. And of course more responsibility means more working hours. I am only 26 years old and managing 15+ provider. I usually work around 75-90 hours per week. How can I meet a girl and hangout with her ? People in DC works really hard and they do not have enough time to think about marriage. Work is their love for a while. However around mid 30s, they realize that work is the only thing they have and they are very VERY very lonely people. It is the time when they rush to find a partner and get married. Of course, most of the times they get the wrong partner because they rushed it That's the big picture and it is unique to here. By the way, I am married. I do not know how but I managed to find the perfect girl before getting very busy at work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,541,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
It is not directly related to education and it is unique to DC and NY. Once you get a higher degree, you are getting a better position. When you are getting a better position, you are getting more responsibilities. And of course more responsibility means more working hours. I am only 26 years old and managing 15+ provider. I usually work around 75-90 hours per week. How can I meet a girl and hangout with her ? People in DC works really hard and they do not have enough time to think about marriage. Work is their love for a while. However around mid 30s, they realize that work is the only thing they have and they are very VERY very lonely people. It is the time when they rush to find a partner and get married. Of course, most of the times they get the wrong partner because they rushed it That's the big picture and it is unique to here. By the way, I am married. I do not know how but I managed to find the perfect girl before getting very busy at work
It is related to education generally--not just in DC or NY.

Sooner vs. later: Is there an ideal age for first marriage? - USATODAY.com

"Researchers say divorce rates are down for the better-educated. Those with college degrees marry later, have better jobs and more income. But an analysis of 2006 Census data by the American Council on Education finds that only 35% of those 25-29 have an associate's degree or higher."

Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM

137 posts, read 237,770 times
from my experience, 80k is a good household income number to reach for if you want to live on your own, have a car, pay off debt (i.e. more than the minimum payment each month), and live fairly comfortably. if you don't do that, then you need to cut out more expenses. obviously, you can get by on less and people do, but i like the 80k number.

most people around here have roommates for a reason and it's not always because they want them.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishplace View Post
most people around here have roommates for a reason and it's not always because they want them.
Yes. I couldn't survive living in Reston on my own with a $50,000 salary when factoring in $1,300/month in rent, utilities, gas, groceries, student loans, car insurance, etc. If I had a roommate to split that rent to a more manageable $650/month (well, $700/month, as the 2-BR rents are marginally higher)? Certainly.

I think I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that even in the far-flung suburbs $50,000 wasn't enough to live comfortably on your own without roommates. It's not like Northern Virginia offered as much as the suburbs of NYC or San Francisco to justify that cost-of-living, either.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM

2,807 posts, read 2,304,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishplace View Post

This is exactly what I wanted to post about today but since you mentioned it...

I have realized over this past year of moving to the DMV area that many folks I know that live in NOVA are single and have roomates despite them having great jobs and in high positions. I was just discussing this yesterday.

For me it sought of throws me off. I see people, they look mature, have things going on, great job, and come to find out, they are renting a room and they are single. I haven't experienced this anywhere else I have lived so it has been interesting.

Its to the point where a friend is losing a roomate and is asking us if we know anyone in san fransisco that will allow her ex roomate to room with them... But it's like bro, get your own place.... Your company is paying for your 3 day hotel stay and you have had plenty of time to prepare....

Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,096,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes. I couldn't survive living in Reston on my own with a $50,000 salary when factoring in $1,300/month in rent, utilities, gas, groceries, student loans, car insurance, etc. If I had a roommate to split that rent to a more manageable $650/month (well, $700/month, as the 2-BR rents are marginally higher)? Certainly.

I think I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that even in the far-flung suburbs $50,000 wasn't enough to live comfortably on your own without roommates. It's not like Northern Virginia offered as much as the suburbs of NYC or San Francisco to justify that cost-of-living, either.
As a reminder: Reston, along with Herndon and Sterling, is known as what is called the Dulles Tech Corridor. Tysons Corner is relatively nearby as well. So with those two major job centers in close proximity, it makes sense that housing and the overall cost of living might not drop to and in some cases may even be higher than that of some closer-in areas. As Tysons and the DTC are where the plurality of jobs are concentrated in NOVA - if not the region - younger professionals have a choice to make whether they want to prioritize proximity to their job or to after-hours amenities. As you mentioned, having a roommate (or three) is a popular decision to make either of those options easier.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,135,712 times
Washington has always been more expensive than most of the rest of the country, but in the last 15 years or so, it's gotten out of hand. I think this cost-of-living issue really does affect peoples' decisions whether or not to move here/stay/move away----I've seen it happen frequently over the time I've lived here. My company has lost several talented 20 and 30-somethings recently because of the cost of raising a family here, buying a house, etc.. If I hadn't bought when I did, I'm not sure I'd be here either, as much as I love the area. The housing market is still too inflated, considering the average median household income. $400,000 doesn't get you much in most suburbs here, but it will buy you a mansion in most Mid-western cities. Even figuring in the salary differential, it's a no-brainer.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:08 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,370,952 times
I lived with some of my buddies from college and just took that time to save up, we all did. If you can find a decent paying job, which shouldn't be too hard around here, as long as you save your money and don't have any major debt you should be ok. Now will you will be able to live 5 miles away from your job? Probably not, may have to go a bit further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia