Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,048 times

Advertisements

My wife and I along with our 10 month old will be relocating from FL to the DC area.
We've narrowed our choices down to two townhouses.

The TH in Fairfax is a 3 bed 2.5 bath on Blake lane, about a mile from the Vienna metro

The TH in Alexandria is a 2 bed 1.5 bath on Van Dorn St close to Seminary Rd.

My wife will be working in Crystal city and I will be in downtown DC close to the Metro center and McPherson Sq metro stops. The rent is $50 less for Fairfax which is the larger home with 2 assigned spots directly in front of the house. The Alexandria house comes with two parking spots but they are not assigned and parking is in a lot not directly in front of the house.

What I need help with is

1) What is the overall safety of these two areas, is crime a real issue at either of these spots?

2) Is the convenience (commuting wise) of living in Alexandria worth the decreased living space?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Alexandria. Crime isn't an issue in NoVA.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
1. Fine and no.

2. Yes. If you like to go out, you'll also appreciate the relative convenience to Old Town Alexandria, let alone Arlington and DC.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
I would think that with a 10 month old, the proximity of being able to get from work to baby to home in an emergency in the shortened time would absolutely be worth it.

I lived right by seminary/395 for nearly 2 years and loved it. Easy access to all the necessities, a quick trip to old town or crystal city or kingstowne, but relatively quiet on its own.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I don't know Alexandria very well, so I cannot compare. Blake Lane is a pretty safe area. It is suburban with lots of townhouses. To get downtown, you'd hop on the Vienna Metro. You'd be right near Vienna which is a very family-friendly area. If more space is important to you, then it would be a good choice.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
I have lived in both locations, albeit as a single person. While living off Seminary Rd (Fox Chase), I worked at 18th & L and did the bus to metro, or drive. Commute time varied, but it wasn't bad. I wasn't all that enamored of the area given I was single and broke and didn't appreciate Old Town that way that I do now in my 40's. The immediate area of Duke St, Van Dorn, etc is not great IMO, but Shirlington is closeby and obviously Old Town. Since you wife works in Crystal City I can't emphasize enough the difference that would make to your family. I can't imagine living in Fairfax and having to get to Crystal City. I will say that I found out the hard way, that Alexandria is THE area with the most stolen cars. My car was stolen twice. I don't mean to freak you out, crime in the area is not bad, but don't leave any valuables in your car, etc.

I lived in two places off Blake, one near Lee Highway and on the other end close to 123. Most of the time I lived there I worked in Tyson's which was a very easy commute. It's close to the beltway and I found it very convenient, safe and quiet.

The commute time to me would be invaluable especially with a baby at home.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
Iva moved all over and Im familar with both areas and I would simply say this.....

IF you are just renting for now and schooling obviously isnt an issue until your child gets older, Id say Go with Alexandira. I currently live in Fairfax but it is because the schools are better out here and the house optionsa re a little more for your money.

Either way it sounds like you will be using the metro as a main form of transportaion. Alexandria offers much more to do for fun, dining, ent, etc. although it is harder to escape the hectic district atmosphere in ALEX.

Fairfax is much more family friendly. Lots of parks and people out using them, plenty of dining options as well as convenient grocery stores but mostly chain joints, althought here are wuite a few local dives too. Fairfax is just as busy though as Alexandria. Not sure if you will be using a car much but if you do you can expect to sit in just as much traffic in Fairfax/Vienna as you would expect in Alexandria.

Alexandria is (IMO) geared to younger working professionals. Old Towne is my favorite place in the whoel distrcit/metro area to hang out.

If you think you will every buy a home and settle here, i suggest either spending a lot of time checking out each city at length or living in the city/area that you may want to buy.

You really cant go wrong with eithe location though in the end. both offerway too much and you will like both places. I just personally think Fairfax/vienna is prettier and a little more comfortable. Alexandria is great though, just that the housing options are obviously older and smaller. but the proximity to work for you guys can not be beat. And even if you dont use cars much now, you should because there are a lot of beautiful places to drive around out here in VA.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
How bad is the "non-assigned" parking situation in Alexandria? With a 10 month old, you want convenient parking right next to your house. You don't want to carry a child too far, together with groceries and whatnot. Also, Blake Lane is a nicer area if you ask me. If you're taking Metro to work, it shouldn't matter anyway, Metro is nearby both. Alexandria location however is closer.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 30,064 times
Fairfax has better public school system.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
I was living in the Seminary Rd/Beauregard area for a few years before starting to look for a townhouse to buy.

I took a look at 2 places in the Blake Lane area during my search. Metro wasn't impt to me because I knew I'd be driving to work, in D.C., no matter what (cuz of my hours). I really liked one place out there (the unit was nice, it was a typical leafy suburb, seemed quiet).

But the commuting time was the deciding factor. (No kids, so school system wasn't impt, either. But since you'll be renting at the start, I'm not sure you should worry about that right away. You'll have time to experience living here and may even find another community, and schools, that you really like.)

I'm in the Annandale area (which is really Fairfax Cty) now, and I need to allow 30 minutes to get to work. I've found that's at the maximum of my patience level (returning home is a faster commuter, tho), so I'm really glad I didn't venture farther west into Fairfax. I did have the "luxury" of testing out commute times from places I was considering, tho.

So think about what your maximum patience level is.
And I agree with Loucks and the others who say either location is not terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia